Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since Jitoboh is from Nigeria, I'm sure he hasn't been immersed in basketball like our youth. Meaning he can improve a lot. He suffered through an injury that dampened his stat-numbers.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can he play DT in the off season, pleaseeeeeee!

we need some 300# bodies eating up real estate between the tackles.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It's up to him. Or any other big man, really. The door is wide open for some big guy to step right in and dominate. I hope he or somebody realizes the opportunity. We need it.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
White takes look back, already reworking UF's 2019-20 roster - GatorSports.com

Some exerts

• On Florida’s style of play.
Florida was one of the slowest teams in the country after starting out the season looking like a pressing, running team.

White figured out that this team couldn’t play fast and there was a better answer, even if it wasn’t as much fun to watch.

“We figured out how to play finally and that’s on me,” he said. “We finally found the best version of ourselves. We played as well as we could have played at the end of the year, except maybe a few possessions in the Michigan game.”

“There are so many different ways to do it,” White said. “Just look at the teams in our league and how different they are. When I first got here, I had a style of play I would have liked to have played. Faster, up tempo. This year, I’ve never even been on a staff that played nearly this slow.

“We all had to adapt to a different style. At the end of the day, we were better because of it. It gave us a better chance. Experimented a little in practice and then we had to sell it to our guys.”
As coaches adjusted and asked their players to follow, the Gators were a team of great highs and numbing lows.

“We were like four or five different teams this year,” White said.

He’d like to be just one next season.

Comment as you desire.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Some exerts

Florida was one of the slowest teams in the country after starting out the season looking like a pressing, running team.

White figured out that this team couldn’t play fast and there was a better answer, even if it wasn’t as much fun to watch.

“We figured out how to play finally and that’s on me,” he said. “We finally found the best version of ourselves. We played as well as we could have played at the end of the year, except maybe a few possessions in the Michigan game.”

“There are so many different ways to do it,” White said. “Just look at the teams in our league and how different they are. When I first got here, I had a style of play I would have liked to have played. Faster, up tempo. This year, I’ve never even been on a staff that played nearly this slow.

“We all had to adapt to a different style. At the end of the day, we were better because of it. It gave us a better chance. Experimented a little in practice and then we had to sell it to our guys.”
As coaches adjusted and asked their players to follow, the Gators were a team of great highs and numbing lows.

Comment as you desire.

Coachspeak baloney bullshiit....it's all on him, JFC he's the HC that recruited and developed these crap players.

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017

Some exerts

Comment as you desire.

The talent on this year's team was seriously lacking, both in skill and size. Ultimately, the roster is a function of the recruiting by the coaching staff. That's on Mike White. With that said, however, the job White did in adapting the style of play to try to cover up the roster deficiencies was pretty good IMO. This roster made the NCAA tournament and won against a good Nevada team. White gets credit from me for that, especially with this roster that had no business getting to 20 wins.

Going forward, it's White's responsibility to make sure he doesn't allow a repeat of a crap roster. The freshmen that played this year played well at times and, by all accounts, Nembhard, Locke, and Keyontae Johnson are all coming back next year. Add the 2019 freshmen class and the foundation can be really good. We do need some bigs who can at least defend and rebound against bigger teams. Hopefully, White can get Stokes and Bassett to improve and maybe land a grad transfer who can help too. Incoming frosh, Omar Payne, is thin but a very athletic 6'9" center.

I hated our plodding style of offense this year too. But, I also recall that our offense wasn't nearly this vanilla and unproductive last year or the year before under this same coach. I'm not ready to label White as "McElwain or Muschamp redux" as I have read a lot on this board. We'll all know next year if White can coach a roster with talent. If not, then I have no problem looking for a new coach. Just not yet.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since Jitoboh is from Nigeria, I'm sure he hasn't been immersed in basketball like our youth. Meaning he can improve a lot. He suffered through an injury that dampened his stat-numbers.

You don't make giant strides in one off season....it's a year by year process and years missed are gone forever. You also have to love the game and work at it a hell of a lot more than 20 hours per week.

Jitoboh averaged less than 9 rebounds per game in a Christian School league at 6'11".....not a promising sign.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You don't make giant strides in one off season....it's a year by year process and years missed are gone forever. You also have to love the game and work at it a hell of a lot more than 20 hours per week.

Jitoboh averaged less than 9 rebounds per game in a Christian School league at 6'11".....not a promising sign.

True that best players have played basketball since "toddlerhood". However, a player who is "just learning" might have improve by large measures from talent that's hidden.

Something about his playing caused White to offer him, to think he'd fit in with how White sees us playing? Gotta hope White's coach-staff can develop him. Or perhaps White sees Jimanji's role as coming off the bench to spell the weary or jam-up the middle. But to my thinking, the odds are in favor of a 6'10" guy being useful. You're right in thinking Jimanji ain't stellar, but it's hard to get a star this late in the recruiting cycle, especially tall guys. But, if this guy develops well, maybe better tall guys will better consider UF better?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Watching MSU scorch LSU tonight, LSU took their defensive stance. It dawned on me, what happens when the whole team recognizes their opponent has a much better coach than they have?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watching MSU scorch LSU tonight, LSU took their defensive stance. It dawned on me, what happens when the whole team recognizes their opponent has a much better coach than they have?

It's the Jimmys and Joes, Gor

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
They all think, "we should've hired Mike White, he beat us 2 of 3 this year with a depleted, mediocre lineup." :D

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd go ahead and book my tickets to final4 for if we got blackshear

Last edited:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
This Just in..... Mike White to the Transfer portal. What if MW took Nembhard, Johnson and Locke, plus his four new guys to UGA via the Transfer Portal?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This Just in..... Mike White to the Transfer portal. What if MW took Nembhard, Johnson and Locke, plus his four new guys to UGA via the Transfer Portal?

If Coack K retires I could see Dawkins to Duke and MW to UCF and I would love it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm trying to learn. Blackshear at 6'10" is an inside operator, yet he hits only 50% of his shots. Hayes was not considered a scorer, but he hit 67% of his shot. Each missed shot seems like a turnover. Still, I'd rather have a 50%er shoot instead of a 30%er. And I like having depth in the frontcourt, along with "stand your ground" bulk.
Grow Gators and Grow White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator