NFL Combine

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ryquell Armstead, Justice Hill and Mike Weber all looked like money today.
Scarlett ain’t too shabby either.
He looks 230-240lbs easy - very deceiving.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett with some impressive 40 times, def going to get a chance some where to show what he can do.

Yep that 40 time surprised me a little because he isn't known for getting loose on breakaways a bunch. On the other end Holyfield surprised with his slower time because he seems to get loose quite a bit on his runs.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Yep that 40 time surprised me a little because he isn't known for getting loose on breakaways a bunch. On the other end Holyfield surprised with his slower time because he seems to get loose quite a bit on his runs.
Could it be the OL makes a difference??

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Could it be the OL makes a difference??

I am talking about once they are past the line. Scarlett wasn't slow but he didn't seem to get a bunch of long runs by dusting people once he was. Though he did have more long runs in 2018 due to improved line play. When I watched Georgia Holyfield had quite a few long runs it seemed when he got that opening turning the corner making it appear he should have a good 40 time. But we all know football speed and track speed are 2 separate things.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am talking about once they are past the line. Scarlett wasn't slow but he didn't seem to get a bunch of long runs by dusting people once he was. Though he did have more long runs in 2018 due to improved line play. When I watched Georgia Holyfield had quite a few long runs it seemed when he got that opening turning the corner making it appear he should have a good 40 time. But we all know football speed and track speed are 2 separate things.
Even if you watch that, he seems to not have an elite first few steps. That isnt the worst thing bc sometimes the slightly slower guys keep a better base and break more tackles.

Frankly they are measuring something that doesnt matter. Ever see a rb line up in a runner's stance? Hell they should at least make them carry a ball.

This is a great time for him though. Many great backs are 4.6.

He made himself some money. He has some numbers the NFL will love, and lots of great film picking up yards after contact (best in the country probably), being disciplined and actually running the play the coaches call, and actually developing as a blocker (he was sad as a younger player). Hell, even the suspension probably helps more than it hurts bc he has one less year of wear and tear.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Running fast in Pajamas is a lot different than running fast or being quick or explosive with pads on and a ball in your hands. Percy Harvins could probably not outrun Chris Rainey or Jeff Demps in Pajamas on a track, but in pads with ball in hand, Harvins was quicker, faster and more explosive than either Rainey or Demps.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Running fast in Pajamas is a lot different than running fast or being quick or explosive with pads on and a ball in your hands. Percy Harvins could probably not outrun Chris Rainey or Jeff Demps in Pajamas on a track, but in pads with ball in hand, Harvins was quicker, faster and more explosive than either Rainey or Demps.

Yep cutting at the drop of a dime has a lot to do with football speed also.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Even if you watch that, he seems to not have an elite first few steps. That isnt the worst thing bc sometimes the slightly slower guys keep a better base and break more tackles.

Frankly they are measuring something that doesnt matter. Ever see a rb line up in a runner's stance? Hell they should at least make them carry a ball.

This is a great time for him though. Many great backs are 4.6.

He made himself some money. He has some numbers the NFL will love, and lots of great film picking up yards after contact (best in the country probably), being disciplined and actually running the play the coaches call, and actually developing as a blocker (he was sad as a younger player). Hell, even the suspension probably helps more than it hurts bc he has one less year of wear and tear.

I agree with this assessment of Scarlett. He definitely increased his draft stock this weekend. I’m a little surprised by the 40 times he ran, but not shocked. More often than not, he seemed to be guilty of being tackled by the ground more than defenders attempting to chase him down. He was excellent at breaking tackles and running hard, but for some reason, it always seemed like he was on the verge of tripping. I hope he can maintain his balance better in the NFL. He could be a really solid back.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It will be interesting to see if his performance actually moves him up any. He has quite possibly the worst hands I’ve ever seen in a RB and in such a pass happy league that’s gonna be a huge knock on him.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It will be interesting to see if his performance actually moves him up any. He has quite possibly the worst hands I’ve ever seen in a RB and in such a pass happy league that’s gonna be a huge knock on him.
Pros:
Breaks tackles, yards after contact
Good speed once he gets to the second and third level
Good in pass-pro
takes care of the ball
stayed healthy, but who knows what an exam could find

Cons:
poor hands in the pass game
questionable vision
character concerns
first step

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Definitely ripped but I don't think even bodybuilders drop below about 4% for competition. The electric pulse reader or the most accurate water dunking wouldn't show someone at 1.6% bodyfat unless they were literally about to die I think.
exactly. Caliper pinching is worthless if that's what they are doing. Elect. impedence is decent but I'm not buying the 1.6. and I'm also not buying that its all natural. Just my opinion.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So - a side comment

I know the 40 is not a great overall indicator of future results, but I am wondering:

Why the hell do they make offensive linemen run the 40? If anything, they should see how fast they can back that ass up. A reverse 40 if you will.

Funny thing though- some of the big uglies can outrun the smaller guys (TEs and QBs).

That’s got to be embarrassing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So - a side comment

I know the 40 is not a great overall indicator of future results, but I am wondering:

Why the hell do they make offensive linemen run the 40? If anything, they should see how fast they can back that ass up. A reverse 40 if you will.

Funny thing though- some of the big uglies can outrun the smaller guys (TEs and QBs).

That’s got to be embarrassing.
It matters in a lot of offenses. Remember when we had that wide receiver screen under Meyer and the LT pulled immediately and was expected to get downfield and be the lead blocker?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It matters in a lot of offenses. Remember when we had that wide receiver screen under Meyer and the LT pulled immediately and was expected to get downfield and be the lead blocker?

Ah yes... totally forgot about pulling guards and tackles.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is more than that. I don't understand it, but the NFL has serious issues with his maturity level. Someone at UF said something. The combine is reinforcing their view. There is even accusations he is faking an injury. It is odd.

B/R's Matt Miller: Scouts Ripped Jachai Polite's Combine, Called Injury Bulls--t

Just about the post the same article from another source. The NFL network mentioned it on air yesterday as well. The wife and I watch the combine every year, so when we were home this weekend the Combine was on...

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016

ImpishSharpChicken-max-1mb.gif

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like sh**!"

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It certainly sounds like he wasn't prepared. Were I an NFL team, I'd be worried about a guy who didn't seem to be ready for what the combine threw at him. It's like the guys who fail the drug test at the combine (usually for weed); You know the date the test was coming, you know marijuana stays in your system for 30 days, and yet you still fail.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is more than that. I don't understand it, but the NFL has serious issues with his maturity level. Someone at UF said something. The combine is reinforcing their view. There is even accusations he is faking an injury. It is odd.

B/R's Matt Miller: Scouts Ripped Jachai Polite's Combine, Called Injury Bulls--t

I like Polite. But this almost sounds like an indictment on the entire Mac regime. I’ve seen it with Frank’s and multiple other players as well. Blaming everybody else and not able to take any sense of criticism at all. Stop pouting and get your shyt together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.