Nick Saban wants to be voice for change in college football

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

"If my voice can bring about some meaningful change, I want to help any way I can, because I love the players, and I love college football," Saban told ESPN. "What we have now is not college football -- not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

And while Saban wants to see players get their share of the financial pie, he said the only way any of this works is if there's also a commitment on the players' side.

"Just like an NFL player has a contract or a coach has a contract, something in place so you don't have all this raiding of rosters and mass movement," he said. "I wonder what fans are going to say when they don't even know the team from year to year because there's no development of teams, just bringing in new players every year."

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Though I do not believe his intent is pure, he isn't wrong either. The commitment needs to be on both sides. The NCAA fuched this all up with their heads in the sand hoping it would go away for 30 years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right.

NIL allows players to market themselves. Fine.

But…Universities and boosters aren’t allowed to pay them except through these collectives which are somehow supposed to be separated from the program. And then they get paid for visiting elementary schools, which they would previously have done as a public service.

If that’s even correct.

It is absolutely asinine that the system is structured so that fans pay the players instead of using the millions upon millions of dollars that are already brought in.
Not asinine at all.

If the schools paid the players, Title 9 would kick in. And compliance with that law would (probably) require all the NIL money to put put into a big pot, and every (?scholarship) player in every sport would get the same per capita payout. SuperStars and benchwarmers would get the same.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I quoted the three replies up above. They were in another thread, but I think that they’re perfect for this thread. It’s exactly what Saban is saying.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Though I do not believe his intent is pure, he isn't wrong either. The commitment needs to be on both sides. The NCAA fuched this all up with their heads in the sand hoping it would go away for 30 years.
In the article, he says that there were a lot of things he couldn’t come out and say because he was a head coach. People would think that it was self-serving. Obviously one of the reasons that he retired is because of this nonsense. And he could be more effective at saving CFB, if he’s not a head coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ll be the voice of reason. There is no solution to the existing problem. You can’t allow collegiate athletes to be paid if you’re not ok with the current state. It’s that simple. It was always going to spiral out of control because that’s the way free markets work. If kids feel they deserve to be paid they should be allowed to declare as professionals and the NFL needs to drop their own rule or develop a farm league so they can do so.

Then allow the kids who truly want to just play sports while getting a free education at a university they love do that. Everyone wins, including the fans.

The NCAA mismanaged a lot and shares some blame. But as I’ve said before, they were basically the Saddam of college athletics. They were hated and rightly so. But they also kept the crazies in check. Now that they’re all but defunct, in some respects they have been vindicated.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nick is all high and mighty when it comes to someone else's financial gain. Maybe he should be willing to return some of his own riches out of the same principle. I mean, didn't he benefit from, at least indirectly, what led to this all?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Nick is all high and mighty when it comes to someone else's financial gain. Maybe he should be willing to return some of his own riches out of the same principle. I mean, didn't he benefit from, at least indirectly, what led to this all?
This is a stupid take IMO.

Nick, like any coach, made money off his worth/value and off Alabama fanatics willingness to throw money at him and off what Alabama administrators, as a member of the SEC's riches paid out annually, were willing to pay him. Also, his agent successfully bartered for his value and helped to hyper-inflate that value. In short he, and Jimmy Sexton, simply played the game that has been in motion for a long time.

NIL and the transfer portal, are new.

From any interview I've ever heard him speak about these topics, he was against them in general. He now says that he had to tip-toe around the topic and was often vague because of his position as a head coach but can now be free to weigh-in on the topic. I believe him and am interested to hear what he has to say on the topic and I don't see where he is being disingenuous.

If his voice can help to alter this chaos then I wish him luck. However, I doubt much will change until, collectively, the University Admins come to the realization that NIL is pulling donor money away from coffers currently under their purview.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’ll be the voice of reason. There is no solution to the existing problem. You can’t allow collegiate athletes to be paid if you’re not ok with the current state. It’s that simple. It was always going to spiral out of control because that’s the way free markets work. If kids feel they deserve to be paid they should be allowed to declare as professionals and the NFL needs to drop their own rule or develop a farm league so they can do so.

Then allow the kids who truly want to just play sports while getting a free education at a university they love do that. Everyone wins, including the fans.

The NCAA mismanaged a lot and shares some blame. But as I’ve said before, they were basically the Saddam of college athletics. They were hated and rightly so. But they also kept the crazies in check. Now that they’re all but defunct, in some respects they have been vindicated.
Next you'll be saying we should go back to leather helmets and segregated schools!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a stupid take IMO.

Nick, like any coach, made money off his worth/value and off Alabama fanatics willingness to throw money at him and off what Alabama administrators, as a member of the SEC's riches paid out annually, were willing to pay him. Also, his agent successfully bartered for his value and helped to hyper-inflate that value. In short he, and Jimmy Sexton, simply played the game that has been in motion for a long time.

NIL and the transfer portal, are new.

From any interview I've ever heard him speak about these topics, he was against them in general. He now says that he had to tip-toe around the topic and was often vague because of his position as a head coach but can now be free to weigh-in on the topic. I believe him and am interested to hear what he has to say on the topic and I don't see where he is being disingenuous.

If his voice can help to alter this chaos then I wish him luck. However, I doubt much will change until, collectively, the University Admins come to the realization that NIL is pulling donor money away from coffers currently under their purview.

You don't get it. The genie is out of the bottle. It's taking laps around the stadium. The things you don't like about college football didn't happen in a vacuum. They are the outgrowth of the inequity that has grown within the game.

This is pretty simple. You can't have one group getting stupidly rich while the other goes about its business like it's 1962. Something has to give when it comes to doling out all that money.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You don't get it. The genie is out of the bottle. It's taking laps around the stadium. The things you don't like about college football didn't happen in a vacuum. They are the outgrowth of the inequity that has grown within the game.

This is pretty simple. You can't have one group getting stupidly rich while the other goes about its business like it's 1962. Something has to give when it comes to doling out all that money.
and so, how this on Saban? What did he do, specifically?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
and so, how this on Saban? What did he do, specifically?

He's nothing here but a surrogate for the ignorant notion that you can and should put the genie back in the bottle. Ain't happening.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He's nothing here but a surrogate for the ignorant notion that you can and should put the genie back in the bottle. Ain't happening.
What if he affects some change from the current model? Because, IMO, it needs help.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What if he affects some change from the current model? Because, IMO, it needs help.

If he can help trigger positive change in some form then more power to him. But we're not going back to the naive idea that coaches, administrators and the universities themselves can make lofty sums of money from today's game while the players exist in some sort of state of indentured servitude. That gap was destined to be nuked.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Bingo.

It won't happen.

Amateur athletics in college sports is kaput.

Unless Congress changes things.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So... they guy who paid players for decades and hired every Billy Bags and others to keep his own hands clean is now wanting to fix the system when Bammer isn't the only one who gets to buy players?

Color me uninterested in his hilarious hypocracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator