Nick Saban wants to be voice for change in college football

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that. But they’re still enforcing a rule that’s technically stopping a player from becoming a professional right away. These kids are ready day one to step into the NFL and don’t need several years of coaching and development at the collegiate level. And if that’s not the case, and they do in fact need that, then their entire argument of them being exploited is completely invalid.
Dang... that's two valid points in as many days!

New Amsterdam Idk GIF by NBC

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that. But they’re still enforcing a rule that’s technically stopping a player from becoming a professional right away. These kids are ready day one to step into the NFL and don’t need several years of coaching and development at the collegiate level. And if that’s not the case, and they do in fact need that, then their entire argument of them being exploited is completely invalid.

Of course their argument is completely invalid but try telling that to the legions of talking heads and drunk sportswriters that have been carrying their water for the last 15-20 years.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If he can help trigger positive change in some form then more power to him. But we're not going back to the naive idea that coaches, administrators and the universities themselves can make lofty sums of money from today's game while the players exist in some sort of state of indentured servitude. That gap was destined to be nuked.
Indentured servant.?. Give me a friggin break... Every person on this board would have loved to have the honor of playing football for UF. My brother and I used to draw up plays in the backyard and throw winning touchdowns to each other against fsu, ugay, etc.

Free education, room & board, being a football player at UF, pulling hot chicks on the regular... Indentured servant, my ass...

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude cheated for years and now that the odds are stacked against him, he's quitting and wants to be the voice of college football?

SAD!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Indentured servant.?. Give me a friggin break... Every person on this board would have loved to have the honor of playing football for UF. My brother and I used to draw up plays in the backyard and throw winning touchdowns to each other against fsu, ugay, etc.

Free education, room & board, being a football player at UF, pulling hot chicks on the regular... Indentured servant, my ass...

78’s bought in hook, line and sinker. What’s awesome is you already have people talking about NFL contracts, and their guidelines being the equivalent of slavery. Thats the slippery slope we’ve chosen to go down. And it’s amazing that, after the complete disaster it’s been in the first 36 months, some are still on board with it and thinking it was the right move.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Can we bring back EA Sports College Football and have them assign every player a rating starting their senior year in highschool, then base their pay on that rating. Lets face their value is their ability to play the game, has nothing to do with NIL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When the money drys up, which it will, that will do the talking.
It has to dry up at some point, right? Disney/ABC/Espn is losing billions a year, have fired so many and replaced with minimum wage workers and still are nose diving. I read that Disney may actually be forced to sell most of its divisions bc it owes a mountain on a putchase of Hulu.

Not to mention garbage Sunbelt coaches like Billy making 50 and averagish (certainly not elite) coaches getting 100 mill? Surely it cant continue on this path.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
78’s bought in hook, line and sinker. What’s awesome is you already have people talking about NFL contracts, and their guidelines being the equivalent of slavery. Thats the slippery slope we’ve chosen to go down. And it’s amazing that, after the complete disaster it’s been in the first 36 months, some are still on board with it and thinking it was the right move.

Did I buy in or acknowledge what is inarguably an irreversible trend? Don't go putting words in my mouth. The NFL just raised its cap another $30m per team. That's only going to increase the clamoring. You can scream school spirit, loyalty and leather helmets all you want. It ain't changing the outcome.

That's what I say and what I believe. It's got zero to do with what I'd LIKE to see.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It's called use of hyperbole to hammer home a point. Don't go getting your Dixie flag all wadded up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Saban when questioned about paying players at Trailerbammer under his watch

3060da99-e250-4801-8ad8-e8cdb53bac65_text.gif

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It has to dry up at some point, right? Disney/ABC/Espn is losing billions a year, have fired so many and replaced with minimum wage workers and still are nose diving. I read that Disney may actually be forced to sell most of its divisions bc it owes a mountain on a putchase of Hulu.

Not to mention garbage Sunbelt coaches like Billy making 50 and averagish (certainly not elite) coaches getting 100 mill? Surely it cant continue on this path.
What comes after trillion?

It's only money.

no way whatever GIF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Bingo.

It won't happen.

Amateur athletics in college sports is kaput.

Unless Congress changes things.
Huh?

Why the fug would you want our government to get involved? So they can get a huge cut of the $ and allow more lobbyers access? No problem involving the free market requires more government.

How are they still not amateurs? They are not getting paid to play football...they are getting paid for their popularity.

I think the biggest issues happening right now is the transfer portal, not players getting side jobs because they have a platform to influence.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did I buy in or acknowledge what is inarguably an irreversible trend? Don't go putting words in my mouth. The NFL just raised its cap another $30m per team. That's only going to increase the clamoring. You can scream school spirit, loyalty and leather helmets all you want. It ain't changing the outcome.

That's what I say and what I believe. It's got zero to do with what I'd LIKE to see.

Let’s face it guys. Our friend 78’s rocketed left and is somewhere between Bernie Sanders and the ugly Indian congress woman who always has an opinion on everything, apparently except make-up. Do I still think the world of him? You bet. Am I tempted to send him one of those “You’re on Native Land” bumper stickers they sell at REI? Crossed my mind. But it’s a sad day nonetheless.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Huh?

Why the fug would you want our government to get involved? So they can get a huge cut of the $ and allow more lobbyers access? No problem involving the free market requires more government.

How are they still not amateurs? They are not getting paid to play football...they are getting paid for their popularity.

I think the biggest issues happening right now is the transfer portal, not players getting side jobs because they have a platform to influence.
If Congress could be trusted to do the right thing, some sort of anti-trust exemption that had buy in all around, could fix the issue. But since A) Congress can’t be trusted and B) I don’t ever see there being buy in all around, it’s a moot point.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Shocked, shocked I say

The only thing I take issue with is Johnny saying “It was the same way that was happening when you (Sharpe) were getting recruited back in the day.” Given that Sharpe played at Savannah St. he was probably lucky to get a $20 handshake after a game. Otherwise, I don’t doubt the story at all - despite Manziel’s general lack of credibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator