Recruiting NIL vs normal recruit

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I was talking with someone who has close contact with a player at a major university.
She said there is a great division between NIL and normal recruits.
There is friction that is causing problems. That is a normal human reaction, but could become a factor.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was talking with someone who has close contact with a player at a major university.
She said there is a great division between NIL and normal recruits.
There is friction that is causing problems. That is a normal human reaction, but could become a factor.
Dog Puppy GIF by TikTok

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Just a clarifying question… Is it that some players aren’t really receiving NIL money at all while others are getting big bucks? Or is it that the amount that players are having to do to receive funds is a lot of work?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the players that are receiving NIL money are the only ones that matter. If you have players not getting a dime these days, they must really suck balls.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the players that are receiving NIL money are the only ones that matter. If you have players not getting a dime these days, they must really suck balls.

Agreed
Who wants a player that chooses Florida because he loves the school and the people?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of us figured this would become an issue. Regardless of Ox's obviously pot stirring comment above, it was always a threat to become an issue. Unless you're UGA or Bamma and every player on your roster is basically a high 4* or a 5* player that will get some NIL money, most rosters have a lot of players that'll never get a dime from NIL and those guys are the potatoes that fill up the plate and belly of the program. Maybe some day we'll reach the point where we can afford that full carnivore diet and put more meat on our plates too. Until then, hopefully Billy & Co. have a plan to keep the potatoes happy even though the beef is what gets all the attention.

I'm not sure, but this post may have been influenced somewhat by the fact that I'm making a big pot of meat & veggie soup this morning. Maybe...

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Put me in the category of "Not Surprised".
I think we ALL saw this coming and it's one of the problems with NIL as a whole.
A smart player, in an important position that is getting good NIL valuation, would be wise to spread the wealth to the "in the trenches" players that help ensure the first player's success.
I remember several NFL QBs (and even Emmitt Smith) talk about giving their O-line Rolex watches or taking them to dinner, all expenses paid. This often got into the realm of a $30K dinner but it's a small price to pay, in their minds, to help ensure their safety and success.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed
Who wants a player that chooses Florida because he loves the school and the people?
Still trying to process this ridiculous comment.

You can choose Florida because you love the school and the people AND take NIL money. You'd be a damn fool not to.

I was trying to make a point that the caliber of the recruit we should be taking should ALL be taking some form of NIL money as well. I would imagine Bama, UGA, and Ohio State have an entire damn team made up of guys making some form of NIL money, even the benchwarmers. Some will make more than others, but everyone should be banking something.

It's the pissant 2 and 3 stars that get offered nothing. We should be done with those guys.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Honestly ive always thought the NIL model should be a collective one. All NIL goes through one clearing house and even pays out to all athletes who contribute anything in the pot. Either at the conference level or at the division level (probably easiest at the conference level. Playing in the SEC should be worth more than the big12) a cut of all conference revenue has to go to that pot %10-25. No body gets super rich but everyone gets paid and it’s all even and across the board

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Still trying to process this ridiculous comment.

You can choose Florida because you love the school and the people AND take NIL money. You'd be a damn fool not to.

I was trying to make a point that the caliber of the recruit we should be taking should ALL be taking some form of NIL money as well. I would imagine Bama, UGA, and Ohio State have an entire damn team made up of guys making some form of NIL money, even the benchwarmers. Some will make more than others, but everyone should be banking something.

It's the pissant 2 and 3 stars that get offered nothing. We should be done with those guys.

Just playing off of your equally ridiculous statement that I interpreted as sarcasm so I responded in kind.

Maybe you should get your meter checked

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.