Not Much Looking Ahead Again This Year...

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Every game is different. Football is all about matchups and those change every week, unless Dris or Treon is your QB, we will be ok. UK is a better team than Umass but we are better than we looked Saturday. We match up very well against UK. I think we will play much better and start a roll that will end up in Atlanta.... If we played Bama right now, we would get steam rolled but in 3 months we might be the Team to kick their doors off!

*** Bama might lose the West anyway..... Funny how unbeatable teams find a way to lose.

Even the Titanic sunk! Titanic = Bama (just to be clear)

Last edited:

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
There is a talent gap between us and the power SEC schools. This is a result in Mac not being a good recruiter and hiring a staff that cant recruit either. The bad thing for us is the elite recruits see that he's not a good recruiter because they look at the class then they look at the product on the field and say to themselves do I really want to go to UF because Mac was brought in to fix the offense and it stinks just as bad as it was before, so how good of a coach can he be.

If you were a kid and was a talented player who had no ties to UF and was not a Gator would you choose to play for Mac after you've watched his first two classes in recruiting and the play on the field since he's taken over?

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
There is a talent gap between us and the power SEC schools. This is a result in Mac not being a good recruiter and hiring a staff that cant recruit either. The bad thing for us is the elite recruits see that he's not a good recruiter because they look at the class then they look at the product on the field and say to themselves do I really want to go to UF because Mac was brought in to fix the offense and it stinks just as bad as it was before, so how good of a coach can he be.

If you were a kid and was a talented player who had no ties to UF and was not a Gator would you choose to play for Mac after you've watched his first two classes in recruiting and the play on the field since he's taken over?

Name the Power SEC schools (Bama and who else?)

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Mac has only had 2 classes. The first one was decent for the situation he was in. Last year should have been better, but it is unfair to put the talent gap on Mac's shoulders by himself and not recognize that Muschamp's lack of offensive recruiting (QB, OL, WR) is one of our big issues.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I don't know if he and the staff are "bad" recruiters as much as they are not elite recruiters. This, I guess, is in terms of the number of highest rated recruits that they land and those numbers certainly don't rival Bama, Clemson, F$U, OSU, and the other top schools. Unfortunately there are only a few of them and the rest of us seem to be on the outside looking in these days. I think that in a short span, we have seen that Mac (and staff, perhaps) can pick and draw some good players from the 3 star ranks to go with a few higher ranked players. I also think they have shown an ability to develop and prepare some of these guys to be effective players pretty quickly. The difference these days, I'm finally processing, is that with virtually none of the really good high level talent staying for longer than they have to, these players are coming in and quickly making their mark individually and as a team in the case of the schools like the ones mentioned previously. Then you have the issue of greater rates of transfers (especially QB's and skills) these days and it almost becomes paramount that you string together class after class dominated by players of seasonal positional need who provide an immediate impact.

It seems rare nowadays that the teams that are reliant on high numbers of upperclassmen for success are among the elite. I don't like it because it is so different than what I came up with in college football as a fan and I think it stinks in terms of education that so many will leave on the table, but it is what is required for success these days. I can snort and stomp my hooves and keep pining for the old days/ways, but while I'm doing that, I'm being left behind. I think Mac really knows this and what he can do in terms of bringing in the first class that is better in the aforementioned ways and then being consistent will mean the difference between our collective success and heightened competitiveness with the Bamas and whether or not he is an analyst instead of a coach pretty soon.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I don't know if he and the staff are "bad" recruiters as much as they are not elite recruiters. This, I guess, is in terms of the number of highest rated recruits that they land and those numbers certainly don't rival Bama, Clemson, F$U, OSU, and the other top schools. Unfortunately there are only a few of them and the rest of us seem to be on the outside looking in these days. I think that in a short span, we have seen that Mac (and staff, perhaps) can pick and draw some good players from the 3 star ranks to go with a few higher ranked players. I also think they have shown an ability to develop and prepare some of these guys to be effective players pretty quickly. The difference these days, I'm finally processing, is that with virtually none of the really good high level talent staying for longer than they have to, these players are coming in and quickly making their mark individually and as a team in the case of the schools like the ones mentioned previously. Then you have the issue of greater rates of transfers (especially QB's and skills) these days and it almost becomes paramount that you string together class after class dominated by players of seasonal positional need who provide an immediate impact.

It seems rare nowadays that the teams that are reliant on high numbers of upperclassmen for success are among the elite. I don't like it because it is so different than what I came up with in college football as a fan and I think it stinks in terms of education that so many will leave on the table, but it is what is required for success these days. I can snort and stomp my hooves and keep pining for the old days/ways, but while I'm doing that, I'm being left behind. I think Mac really knows this and what he can do in terms of bringing in the first class that is better in the aforementioned ways and then being consistent will mean the difference between our collective success and heightened competitiveness with the Bamas and whether or not he is an analyst instead of a coach pretty soon.
Name me 5 players out of the 30+ 3* players hes brought in that have shown the ability to play against anyone in the country

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
so you do not have an answer? Ok I get it...moving right along...
OK if your going to beg I'll name you a few schools I think we would lose to right now in the sec. Auburn, Bama, A&M, LSU, UT, UGA, that puts us at 7th in the SEC. Which is middle of the pack and I might would put Ole Miss in there as well cause they played FSU really well in the 1st and threw it away. But they did 1000 times better against them than we did

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I refuse to believe the Houston or Michigan situation was better when those coaches took over than ours... Look at their trajectories...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Name me 5 players out of the 30+ 3* players hes brought in that have shown the ability to play against anyone in the country
I'm not disagreeing with you...

I can snort and stomp my hooves and keep pining for the old days/ways, but while I'm doing that, I'm being left behind. I think Mac really knows this and what he can do in terms of bringing in the first class that is better in the aforementioned ways and then being consistent will mean the difference between our collective success and heightened competitiveness with the Bamas and whether or not he is an analyst instead of a coach pretty soon.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I refuse to believe the Houston or Michigan situation was better when those coaches took over than ours... Look at their trajectories...

Surprisingly Hoke recruited pretty good a couple of the years he was at Michigan leaving some talent for Harbaugh to get something out of these past 2 seasons.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Surprisingly Hoke recruited pretty good a couple of the years he was at Michigan leaving some talent for Harbaugh to get something out of these past 2 seasons.
One of their RBs that scored was a kid out of Sarasota that UF didn't even give an invite to... Good, smart talented hard working kid...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Michigan didn't have as highly rated classes, but they had more complete classes. Hoke did recruit OL, DL, etc... not 15 DB's then fill the rest of the class. Harbaugh took over Michigan in year 4 of a rebuild... They are coming out of RichRod's mess... we are coming out of Mushcamp's mess.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
We have enough talent to have a good season with some breaks going our way and the injury issue not killing us. Losing Grier will hurt this year, as we have stand-in's at QB right now, but why the O-Line is weak, our running backs don't scare anyone, and why recruiting cannot make major strides is the question.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm not disagreeing with you...
You just said "I also think they have shown an ability to develop and prepare some of these (3* players) guys to be effective players pretty quickly." I disagree with you on that part. I've only seen 2-3 players out of the 30+ who I feel comfortable with against anyone in the country. I don't want to be the type of team who has to develop a team. Look at Miss St, Mullen took over and recruited players to be devolved and they got 2 good years and now their back to developing again. In order to compete yearly we must do what Mac said he wanted to win back FL and he's doing a terrible job of doing it. Maybe the worse job in 10+ years. You'd have to go back before SOS to find recruiting that's been this bad and we're seeing it on the field

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
why the O-Line is weak, .

Because we have failed to recruit OL consistently for 6 years. You should recruit 8-12 down linemen every year. Some won't pan out, some will leave early, etc.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cover you were Muschamp's biggest cheerleader up until he was fired. You have to know that the situation is critically worse because of him. We've been bad to erratic since 09, that's all most of the recruits remember. Mac' has to undo all the damage of Muschamp just to make us relevant to these new recruits. When Mac is able to develop his talent, then the recruits will come. But this isn't Meyer's Gators, you don't win because you put on the jersey. When Meyer left we were in the rebuilding phase, by the time Muschamp left it was more like an archeological dig!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You just said "I also think they have shown an ability to develop and prepare some of these (3* players) guys to be effective players pretty quickly." I disagree with you on that part. I've only seen 2-3 players out of the 30+ who I feel comfortable with against anyone in the country. I don't want to be the type of team who has to develop a team. Look at Miss St, Mullen took over and recruited players to be devolved and they got 2 good years and now their back to developing again. In order to compete yearly we must do what Mac said he wanted to win back FL and he's doing a terrible job of doing it. Maybe the worse job in 10+ years. You'd have to go back before SOS to find recruiting that's been this bad and we're seeing it on the field
Key word is "some."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.