Not Much Looking Ahead Again This Year...

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You just said "I also think they have shown an ability to develop and prepare some of these (3* players) guys to be effective players pretty quickly." I disagree with you on that part. I've only seen 2-3 players out of the 30+ who I feel comfortable with against anyone in the country. I don't want to be the type of team who has to develop a team. Look at Miss St, Mullen took over and recruited players to be devolved and they got 2 good years and now their back to developing again. In order to compete yearly we must do what Mac said he wanted to win back FL and he's doing a terrible job of doing it. Maybe the worse job in 10+ years. You'd have to go back before SOS to find recruiting that's been this bad and we're seeing it on the field
Kev, you underestimate the effect that Muschamp had on the Gator program. It's like sending your kids to a a prep academy due to its prestige and come to find out the school was not only not accredited but was using the kids as drug smugglers and slave labor. It takes time to recover from that. Muschamp's only ability was to take a young player and squeeze every ounce of hope and talent out of their soul. (For the record, many here admired Muschamp's frothing death stare).
All this is in the psyche of the players, that's why Treon could not be rehabilitated. I think not only Mac's personality but his ability to allow and help the players to develop is just what this program needs. I really believe once he changes the culture and the team buys in, we will see critical mass in talent.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover you were Muschamp's biggest cheerleader up until he was fired. You have to know that the situation is critically worse because of him. We've been bad to erratic since 09, that's all most of the recruits remember. Mac' has to undo all the damage of Muschamp just to make us relevant to these new recruits. When Mac is able to develop his talent, then the recruits will come. But this isn't Meyer's Gators, you don't win because you put on the jersey. When Meyer left we were in the rebuilding phase, by the time Muschamp left it was more like an archeological dig!
I won't now and never have denied that. Certainly we are worse off now because of his tenure. Now let's be clear about something...I don't dislike Mac nor think him incompetent. I have come to believe that he has a most formidable task ahead. Not so much Xs and Os, because I was somewhat impressed by what he did last year with an able if not morally bankrupt QB, a good D, and the rest a patchwork quilt. But I don't know if he can turn the recruiting corner as quickly as he'll need to in order to satisfy the important stakeholders. Call me late for supper, but this whole dynamic of college football has changed so dramatically that the old purists like myself have a hard time processing it all. But make no mistake Rev, I am processing it because I am vested in this part of my alma mater and wish for us to be able to better compete as soon as possible.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I won't now and never have denied that. Certainly we are worse off now because of his tenure. Now let's be clear about something...I don't dislike Mac nor think him incompetent. I have come to believe that he has a most formidable task ahead. Not so much Xs and Os, because I was somewhat impressed by what he did last year with an able if not morally bankrupt QB, a good D, and the rest a patchwork quilt. But I don't know if he can turn the recruiting corner as quickly as he'll need to in order to satisfy the important stakeholders. Call me late for supper, but this whole dynamic of college football has changed so dramatically that the old purists like myself have a hard time processing it all. But make no mistake Rev, I am processing it because I am vested in this part of my alma mater and wish for us to be able to better compete as soon as possible.
As always, cover, Well Said! But have faith my friend, one of Mac's strengths is his adaptability. I think he will have us relevant again.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at our starters on offense over half of them (6 of the 11) are blue chip (4 or 5 star) Rivals recruits. You would think we would be doing better there considering that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As always, cover, Well Said! But have faith my friend, one of Mac's strengths is his adaptability. I think he will have us relevant again.
Not to worry, my faith is strong. But I think you would know, if none of the rest of us do, that "faith without works is dead!" The "works" in this case is greater recruiting success.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess your right on that.
Just an observation but I don't think I've ever seen you type the word "you're".

Go ahead GatorChatter. Bring on the grammar nazi memes. :tongue:

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, we'll all have a good gauge of where we are after this week's game. If we lay an egg vs. UK (winning like we just did), there's problems. Those problems will rear their head starting the UT weekend. If we handle UK, like most UF teams have over the last 25+ years (not counting the last 2 years) then we may be okay. It's a shame it's come to this. Last week's dud was inexcusable.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Agree, we need elite recruiters at all positions as well as analysts, consultants, etc, that keep additional contacts with coaches in order to stay relevant. UF needs to open the bank for more creative positions. SOS definitely spoiled me after the late 70's and early 80's (until the great wall years). The game has changed with all the primo players going after 2-3 years. I cant say I blame the players at all, just a new dynamic which means you cant have off years. At least we can bring in some juco players as that wasn't always the case. UF's tough admissions and rules will always give an edge to some, but I am good with that. The swagger and reputation matters to recruits and we don't have that yet.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK if your going to beg I'll name you a few schools I think we would lose to right now in the sec. Auburn, Bama, A&M, LSU, UT, UGA, that puts us at 7th in the SEC. Which is middle of the pack and I might would put Ole Miss in there as well cause they played FSU really well in the 1st and threw it away. But they did 1000 times better against them than we did

Sorry but that's a stupid statement... You "think" we would lose to these teams. Who cares what you think? Your expertise probably comes from your Madden 2009.

I happen to think that right now we would win half those games and probably could win them all except Bama.

My opinion cancels out yours and neither mean anything.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Our brand has taken a huge hit since 2010. Our offense has looked like a Pee-wee team and that's all these kids know. The glory years were from when they were in underroos and sucking their thumbs. Mac now has to change that perception and if he does things change quick. The buzz after ole miss last year was huge, but was killed after Grier and he's back to square one. Producing points will cure most, but the line recruiting for four years makes it harder as they should have upper class men in front of them. If he can't produce then nothing will change. Houston and Michigan never looked this inept for this long.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Kev, you underestimate the effect that Muschamp had on the Gator program. It's like sending your kids to a a prep academy due to its prestige and come to find out the school was not only not accredited but was using the kids as drug smugglers and slave labor. It takes time to recover from that. Muschamp's only ability was to take a young player and squeeze every ounce of hope and talent out of their soul. (For the record, many here admired Muschamp's frothing death stare).
All this is in the psyche of the players, that's why Treon could not be rehabilitated. I think not only Mac's personality but his ability to allow and help the players to develop is just what this program needs. I really believe once he changes the culture and the team buys in, we will see critical mass in talent.

And there's another built in excuse for Mac and Co. It's always something. Freaking coach em up or get gone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but this whole dynamic of college football has changed so dramatically that the old purists like myself have a hard time processing it all. But make no mistake Rev, I am processing it because I am vested in this part of my alma mater and wish for us to be able to better compete as soon as possible.
I don't think it is that complicated. We can't (overtly) pay players but we can set them up in luxury apartments and luxury surroundings. Now, it's not all golden elephants, these herds of analysts who know ever single tendency of the other team, nutritionists, and every single imaginable thing which might give the slightest advantage. But the kids love the golden elephants hottubs.

(BTW, have you seen the apartment buildings around campus these days? Same deal. The kids have student loan money (federal) in their pockets and the school and apartment owners step up to take it.)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Treon couldn't be rehabilitated because he isn't a QB. He is an athlete, a running back in QB disguise. He was never going to be a QB for a modern offense, no more than Chris Leak was ever going to be good in a QB keeper offense.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
And there's another built in excuse for Mac and Co. It's always something. Freaking coach em up or get gone.
Their are some that will never blame the current coach, it's always the guy before them fault. It's Muschamp fault that Mac hasn't recruited worth a crap, it's Muschamp fault the LDR missed wide open Wr's, it's never going to be put on Mac until the next guy comes in.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Watching Muschamps product I agree was giving me flashbacks of the waning Doug Dickey days... I flicker with hope still with Mac

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Their are some that will never blame the current coach, it's always the guy before them fault. It's Muschamp fault that Mac hasn't recruited worth a crap, it's Muschamp fault the LDR missed wide open Wr's, it's never going to be put on Mac until the next guy comes in.

It was just one game with the new QB so lets see how the next 3 games or so go. Now if we somehow lost to KY I am sure a lot of people would be looking at it like you are now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator