Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Who pays for the rescue/recovery?
Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Well B52 make a good point. We did get some training for the $ spent.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I have to believe the Coasties told the families the whole thing was a recovery not a rescue as soon as they had the Navy data.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Well B52 make a good point. We did get some training for the $ spent.

A lot of people don't realize that the federal budget *includes* stuff like this already built-in.

Let's say a fighter pilot needs to maintain 100 hours of flight time (no idea the actual number, just throwing out a random figure)--that number is bought & paid for whether or not the fighter pilot uses it or injures his hand in a masturbating accident and is off of flight duty for 5 months.

It's no different with units like the Coast Guard or Natl Guard that are expected to rapidly deploy in emergencies: it's already baked into their annual operating budget.

I'm sure the units themselves were under no illusions that this was a recovery mission; but you deploy on a moment's notice anyway to show the public that we can and to prepare for the time when we might actually have the possibility of a rescue and would need to use these skills.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The Navy knew on Sunday. Why not just say it then? An incredible amount of time and energy went into a "rescue" mission.

The pundits are saying, "well, we cant reveal our secrets." Everyone on the planet knows about sosus. And we still "revealed" it on Thursday that the Navy knew on Sunday.

It really is that simple: you don't want to disclose things that are best kept secret.

People might know generally about SOSUS, but actionable data? Probably not.

Sound travels at a certain speed...and depending on how long it took before we noticed it can reveal clues about the location of the sensors or response times of the software in filtering out background noise, etc. Stuff that is irrelevant to Joe Public, but highly relevant to our adversaries.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
A lot of people don't realize that the federal budget *includes* stuff like this already built-in.

Let's say a fighter pilot needs to maintain 100 hours of flight time (no idea the actual number, just throwing out a random figure)--that number is bought & paid for whether or not the fighter pilot uses it or injures his hand in a masturbating accident and is off of flight duty for 5 months.

It's no different with units like the Coast Guard or Natl Guard that are expected to rapidly deploy in emergencies: it's already baked into their annual operating budget.

I'm sure the units themselves were under no illusions that this was a recovery mission; but you deploy on a moment's notice anyway to show the public that we can and to prepare for the time when we might actually have the possibility of a rescue and would need to use these skills.

I am aware of that. My wife's grandfather was a pilot trainer in the military. HE has wonderful stories about the places he would fly to in order to stay current.

The sub is a real life scenario where they can get more "training."

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I am aware of that. My wife's grandfather was a pilot trainer in the military. HE has wonderful stories about the places he would fly to in order to stay current.

The sub is a real life scenario where they can get more "training."
Oh, I think I know what you mean...

I've posted several times about an Army friend of mine from Germany who was from Nashville. His dad was a COL in the TNARNG and commanded the C-130 squadron in Nashville. To "stay current" in the big budget years of the mid to late 80's, they'd do things like throw their golf clubs in the back and fly to Phoenix to play a round, or "hop" down to New Orleans and pick up some shrimp. :lol:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The way the budget process works drives some silly stuff too. I was the Wing Bomber Scheduler and every year we received so many flight hours for training. It was illegal (literally could get the Wing Commander fired) for flying more than the allocation and if you flew less, your flying hour budget was cut for the next year. So, on the last day of the fiscal year, every bomber flew there assigned training missions and landed about 1700. Then we in the scheduling shop would add up all the logged hours (usually planned to be 2 or 3 hours short of the budget) and determine to the exact tenth of an hour how long the last sortie of the year (sitting at the end of the runway ready to take off) needed to log. We would radio the correct sortie duration to the crew, they would launch and fly transition work (touch and gos, low approaches, etc.) and land with exactly that flight time. You can imagine the pitfalls of trusting a flight crew to be that precise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator