Offense.....moving forward?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n282382 said:
Dude, you're drunk. You were the one that picked us to lose to UK, remember? If you genuinely can't see a difference from last year, I don't know what to tell you.

I picked us to lose, I was wrong and I admitted it but I wasn't wrong by much, 14 - 9 isn't a rousing statement of offensive improvement. We owe the victory to the defense that kicked UK's butt all day!

I do see differences from the last Coaching Staff:
1. I think there is a plan to try and score.
2. The receivers are actually making some plays.
3. Tight ends are a part of the offense again.
4. Grier has the "look" of a real QB.
5. The offense can give the defense a little time to catch their breath.
6. There is talk of limiting stupid penalties.
7. Play-makers are being allowed to play even if they can't block.
8. Even though they suck, the o-line seems to have more discipline.

I do think we will get better but right now:
1. I'm not excited about the play calling.
2. The Oline can't block anyone.
3. KT and Drob dance around too much.
4. Our FG game sucks...
5. Why is our deep threat a TE?
6. Did I mention, our play calling is getting predictable?

At the end of the game, Mac put the game in the defenses hands. That was a smart, calculated move and the right thing to do. The previous knuckle-head would have found a way to lose the game.

Go Gators!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The offense isnt offensive any more as you can see we are trying to move the ball and have moved the ball decently just have red zone woes. We'll improve as the season goes along instead of regress like we did the past couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
deuce;n282435 said:
I picked us to lose, I was wrong and I admitted it but I wasn't wrong by much, 14 - 9 isn't a rousing statement of offensive improvement. We owe the victory to the defense that kicked UK's butt all day!

4. Our FG game sucks...

At the end of the game, Mac put the game in the defenses hands. That was a smart, calculated move and the right thing to do. The previous knuckle-head would have found a way to lose the game.

Go Gators!

I agree except for the "predictable play calling." I think that both the offensive and defensive play calls were situated based on our capabilities and a sound, logical approach to winning the game.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n281959 said:
Brett Bulimia getting shamed on a weekly basis really has you down, huh?

You don't run play action when you have a weak OL. They are penetrating already. That just causes sacks. You run quick passes to take the heat off the OL.

Never fear, Mac knows a lot more than you.
I agree. Even though the stats are no better than last year, the offensive tenor has clearly changed. Besides, the OL was much better last year at this point. These "babies" are still on the teat. These guys will soon be weaned and mature on the job. It's root hog or die for them. I predict that we beat the Vols again this week.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MissouriGator;n282454 said:
Originally posted by deuce View Post

4. Our FG game sucks...

Go Gators!

I agree except for the "predictable play calling." I think that both the offensive and defensive play calls were situated based on our capabilities and a sound, logical approach to winning the game.

Exactly and if anyone cannot see the difference, needs to really watch again.......And your right about Mac putting the game in the D's hands. But with Mac, if he gets the ball back, he's going to try and score and move chains.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The o-line play has been poor and Grier has gotten a little too quick to haul ass and run as a result. Grier and the o-line need reps, reps and more reps. The biggest difference between this year and the last four, is that I get the feeling that our offense is going to only improve with experience. You can see the improved system, you can see what is trying to be accomplished, you can expect things to get better. I never felt we would get better over time with the Muschamp offenses, we were stuck with it, it wasn't changing, and all we could do was hope for some lucky, fluky success, which only happened once; last year versus UGA.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n282443 said:
How do you think Fever is going to celebrate if that happens? You think he has a vintage Zima saved up for Coach Mac's first loss?

What the hell are you talking about I think Mac was a good hire - just saying it will probably be year 2 to see the results on offense with what he was left. I just want the QB in there that gives us the best chance to win and we are not sure if that is Grier as of now. Hopefully he makes some big strides in the next few games.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n282519 said:
What the hell are you talking about I think Mac was a good hire - just saying it will probably be year 2 to see the results on offense with what he was left. I just want the QB in there that gives us the best chance to win and we are not sure if that is Grier as of now. Hopefully he makes some big strides in the next few games.

yes we are.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to move the sticks and keep drives going when you can't run between the tackles. We have more success on the perimeter runs with pretty good blocking by the receivers, and when we get in the 3 TE set they do a good job providing an alley for the back. Probably need to run off tackle more, and less in the A, B gaps. We will still need to keep them honest on occasion , but that should be our bread and butter running the ball for now at least. How many snaps did Tez get? I only recall him in there on a series or two, but good to get his feet wet before we take on the vols in the swamp. A good dc will gameplan against us having the corners sit at the sticks to jump the shorter routes, and provide safety help over the top. It's not a huge risk at this point given where we are offensively, and quite simply stealing points off our offense is a good way to beat us, and a lots easier than driving 70 yards at a time against our guys. Going into week four each week the competition has gotten better , and the next two weeks are no exception. Red zone continues to be a huge problem. Grier made a nice throw to Powell on the corner route, but they did a good job of getting a hand on the ball . The INT was simply dreadful. Powell has to help the QB out more. Had a silly drop on a good route that would've been an 8 or 9 yarder, and wasn't paying attention on a quick route late in the game that was nearly a pick 6.
Going forward we should use the 3 TE set more, and also throw to the backs more (screens,flares etc). A lot has been said about Kelvin over the past week, but he's clearly one of our better players.
Hardin still sucks

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n282534 said:
yes we are.

No we aren't - with his play the last 2 games we could lose every SEC game we have left except Vandy and SC probably. We will know how he is progressing soon but he hasn't shown enough yet to show he is the clear choice at QB.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the line is a work in progress, it's hard to move at all when the line is like that. Grier had happy feet through the second half, and it was hard to blame him for it. KT had his best game since Georgia, but started to dance as well in the second half. That second half was bad football, needs to be cleaned up.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n282550 said:
No we aren't - with his play the last 2 games we could lose every SEC game we have left except Vandy and SC probably. We will know how he is progressing soon but he hasn't shown enough yet to show he is the clear choice at QB.

So you think floating passes is going to work in the SEC? :crazy:
How many SEC games did we win with Harris last year, and how many were BECAUSE of Harris?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n282067 said:
:lol2: Easy man, you're my favorite poster. Wasn't trying to rip into you too hard.

I believe if you would stop calling each poster your favorite, they wouldn't take your criticisms so personal.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n282562 said:
So you think floating passes is going to work in the SEC? :crazy:
How many SEC games did we win with Harris last year, and how many were BECAUSE of Harris?

Without Treon we don't go bowling last season. A buck twenty five versus Kentucky is hardly impressive.
We can't continue this wretched display of football inside the red zone. There is no defense for that terrible INT
in the end zone. Also should've signed a kicker within the last two classes.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n282570 said:
5-7 or possibly 4-8 without Treon a year ago.

So you think he was the reason we won 2-3 more games? Which games were those?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n282570 said:
5-7 or possibly 4-8 without Treon a year ago.
That wasn't the question, try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator