Offensive numbers for the year

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
You have to ask the question, why did the good play calling from the 1st half of the season, all the suddenly change when Grier chose to make himself ineligible? Hmmm...I wonder what changed??? Common folks it's not rocket science. You can only do so much with what you have to work with. The OC called many quick throws which had guys running across the field open, but Treon didn't get the ball to them. Is that the OC's fault??

Look I give Mac and Company a huge amount of credit for what has been accomplished given the clear lack of depth on offense. 10 wins is awesome. It's pretty easy to see the systemic changes that Mac made that led to those 10 wins; changed the culture (see the Taylor episode) and aggressive on offense (downfield passing and willing to go for it on 4th down).

But to answer your question, "The OC called many quick throws which had guys running across the field open, but Treon didn't get the ball to them. Is that the OC's fault?". Yes it is the OC's fault if you keep calling the same plays that are not working. How many times did we criticize WM for such predictable and lame play calling. Run, run, pass, punt.

As I have said before, I'm not football genius, just an irate fan. But you don't have to be a football genius to know that if the offensive game plan didn't work against Vandy, SC, and FAU, that it's probably not going to work against FSU and Bama. Common sense says we should have done something different, even radical. We may have still lost, but we all knew that barring a miracle, we were going to lose anyway.

So yes, coaching bears some of the blame for the poor offense in the second half of the year.

Go Gators!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Look I give Mac and Company a huge amount of credit for what has been accomplished given the clear lack of depth on offense. 10 wins is awesome. It's pretty easy to see the systemic changes that Mac made that led to those 10 wins; changed the culture (see the Taylor episode) and aggressive on offense (downfield passing and willing to go for it on 4th down).

But to answer your question, "The OC called many quick throws which had guys running across the field open, but Treon didn't get the ball to them. Is that the OC's fault?". Yes it is the OC's fault if you keep calling the same plays that are not working. How many times did we criticize WM for such predictable and lame play calling. Run, run, pass, punt.

As I have said before, I'm not football genius, just an irate fan. But you don't have to be a football genius to know that if the offensive game plan didn't work against Vandy, SC, and FAU, that it's probably not going to work against FSU and Bama. Common sense says we should have done something different, even radical. We may have still lost, but we all knew that barring a miracle, we were going to lose anyway.

So yes, coaching bears some of the blame for the poor offense in the second half of the year.

Go Gators!

While I mostly agree, keep in mind they ended up determining they were asking too much of Harris. After him taking snaps with both teams, he should have been well versed in the offense but we saw that wasnt the case. Changing up probably would have been a disaster. I think the college game is too fast for Harris.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Yes, Florida's offense this year was offensive. The best thing about college football is the amount of turnover from year to year. Florida will be back. Florida has has a good coach, great recruiting, and great facilities. Florida exceeded everyone's expectations this year, and I think they will command more respect next year, hopefully with a new quarterback. :D
Will they win it all next year? Not likely, but I'm looking forward to another competitive team from the Gators.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014

Go Gators!

I really think Mac thought about changing things up. I'm sure he could have come up with something much better than what we could dream up as armchair coaches.
I think he looked at what he already accomplished over the season and decided because he was already "good enough" for his first year, he would prep for next year. He left the system as is with slight changes in play calling to attempt to accommodate Treon's play without loosing the valuable experience the rest of the team would gain for next year. Of course this is just my take and don't really know anything about the program aside from reading pretty much all of the threads here on GCMB

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really think Mac thought about changing things up. I'm sure he could have come up with something much better than what we could dream up as armchair coaches.
I think he looked at what he already accomplished over the season and decided because he was already "good enough" for his first year, he would prep for next year. He left the system as is with slight changes in play calling to attempt to accommodate Treon's play without loosing the valuable experience the rest of the team would gain for next year. Of course this is just my take and don't really know anything about the program aside from reading pretty much all of the threads here on GCMB
I'll respect your opinion but I just can't agree with it. To leave things as status quo, it made his coaching ability look like poop. If prepping for next year was his decision, it turned off some recruits. Just my opinion.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
I'll respect your opinion but I just can't agree with it. To leave things as status quo, it made his coaching ability look like poop. If prepping for next year was his decision, it turned off some recruits. Just my opinion.

Risk vs reward :dunno:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac should have changed things up. I honestly think he was being stubborn by not using Treon as more of an option QB and changing the offense to meet Treon's skill set. Maybe, Mac really thought he could get Treon to where he needed him to be. Maybe he saw glimpses in practice... all I know is that Treon does not have the skill set to run the offense Mac wanted him to run.

In the Bama game he actually had decent time and couldn't find or hit open receivers.

Anybody who is even questioning if Grier is better than Treon needs to go watch all the games again. Sometimes it is about more than numbers. You could see the potential with Grier behind center. Grier got the ball out quickly and on time and to the correct read. Yes... he wasn't perfect.. he was a redshirt freshman behind a horrible Oline with only 1 true SEC caliber receiver, yet he made it work and I don't doubt that we win every game with Grier behind center.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

I have to ask...if you could win an SEC title...do you change your game plan or not? EVen at the risk of developing players for next year?

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
I would. IF I had a QB that could grasp the changes.

You nailed it bro. "If" the QB could grasp the changes. Who says Mac didn't try to install the changes and upon seeing the ineptitude from either Treon (seems most likely to me) or other members of the offence (ahem o-line) he seen there was no way to be successful there?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I have to ask...if you could win an SEC title...do you change your game plan or not?

If the consensus of your entire offensive coaching staff was that the #2 QB was 50% as good as executing some offense as young Mr. Harris, would you go with #2 ?

Think this through just a TINY BIT .... the coaching staff either IS or IS NOT smart enough to have the idea that maybe our QB play has been poor enough to consider making a change. Unless they collectively have a single-digit IQ, they DID have that thought. But they didn't do it. WHY? There's only two reasonable explanations. The first possibility is that the coaching staff ... who see the players in action every day ... think that the gap between Harris and next-best is very large. The second possibility is that Driskel gifted his collection of incriminating photos to Harris. But Mac and Nuss weren't here when Driskel was, so it's extremely unlikely any hypothetical photo collection has power over the new staff.

We get that you aren't happy being on the short-side of a 29-14 loss, in a championship game most never dared guess (before the season began) we would be in.

But you would have been even less happy with 75-14.

Maybe you are (*) as you clearly believe, smarter than the coaches we have. But you don't see the team practice every day, and that's important too. You're projecting from high-school press clippings.

Give it up. Let's see what happens next year.

(* And maybe you're not.)

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hope they listen to you. They sure didn't listen to me.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't there a direct quite that Mac made about this very topic? Anybody have it?

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
I think it was something like "I haven't game planned around Treon's strengths" or it amounted to that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, no, NO!!!!!!!

We MUST bytch incessantly about how Mac blew the Natl Championship because he thinks that the guy who isnt good enough to be Vandy's 5th string QB was our savior yet didnt get the ball.

After all, who knows more about Qbs, Mac or we marginally employed dildos on this forum?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I keep saying it, but you guys seem to be missing the fact that we had receivers running wide open all the time down the stretch this season. Play calling wasn't the issue. Either Treon getting his ass handed to him two seconds after the snap (if it was actually a good one), or Treon not being able to see or hit the open receivers was the problem. We tried short routes, quick routes, screens, crossing routes, deep routes, intermediate routes, slow developing run plays, quick run plays, QB draws, and everything else short of Last Boy Scouting it and having him blast his way to the endzone with a pistol. If you don't have the personnel, you won't move the ball.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, no, NO!!!!!!!

We MUST bytch incessantly about how Mac blew the Natl Championship because he thinks that the guy who isnt good enough to be Vandy's 5th string QB was our savior yet didnt get the ball.

After all, who knows more about Qbs, Mac or we marginally employed dildos on this forum?

Law complaining about a person b*tching too much??? :faint:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.