Offensive numbers for the year

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We MUST bytch incessantly about how Mac blew the Natl Championship because he thinks that the guy who isnt good enough to be Vandy's 5th string QB was our savior yet didnt get the ball.
Evidently Mac thought he was good enough to be the the backup QB since Grier went down, presumably giving him practice snaps week after week.

I still think he should have put him in the last two weeks, at the very least to portray to the fans that he's actually going to try to win the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I wish he would have, so he could have gone 3-10 with two int's again. It would be better than hearing everyone gripe about not getting to see a kid who got cut from Vandy.

You guys really fail to see what DID happen. Mac watched Dorsey and said about two months ago, give me the freshman. Then he watched Riles and said, move him to defense and give me another guy. Then he watched Dillard and said two games go, give me the freshman.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Evidently Mac thought he was good enough to be the the backup QB since Grier went down, presumably giving him practice snaps week after week.

I still think he should have put him in the last two weeks, at the very least to portray to the fans that he's actually going to try to win the game.
If he played worse than Treon, might not the fans see the substitution as giving up?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Honestly, I wish he would have, so he could have gone 3-10 with two int's again. It would be better than hearing everyone gripe about not getting to see a kid who got cut from Vandy.

And what did Treon do?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, and that STILL would have been better than Treon. He may have been the worst quarterback I've ever seen the last two games. Continuing to throw him out there was conceding defeat.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If he played worse than Treon, might not the fans see the substitution as giving up?
No, the fans would have seen it as trying something to get a spark, the same reason Treon replaced Driskel against Tennessee last year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, but there is no point in digging it us. These guys wouldn't believe it if Mac had it notarized and sent it to them special delivery.
Tell us all about 0-10-1 again.

I like Mac, glad he's here. But he's not infallible. Harris made him look very, very bad.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Southern Miss got a good qb transfer from tcu. I suppose having Grier and Treon kept him away from us.

if your a transfer guy and you see two young quarterbacks, one who went 4-1 or 4-2 the previous year and the other the Gatorade all-American in High School. Do you think you would really have a shot?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Comparing first half of 2015 to entire 2015 we got worse in every single category except yards per pass completion. The difference being Treon and add to that fact that the Oline was even less experienced in the first half of the season and it paints quite a picture of ineptitude at the QB position..

Offensive line was also healthier the first half of the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And what did Treon do?
Apparently enough to stay on the field.

What he didn't do is Driskel the other team 21-28 points and singlehandedly beat us. If all the drives inside the 35 had resulted in (mostly) 3 pointers, you guys would have your mouths shut (or at least you did with Driskel).

We have been gawdawful in the redzone all year, under Grier or Treon. That's not on the QBs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
012114-smis-ray-guy-450.jpg

Ray Guy was a punter.

But:

He was also a placekicker at Southern Mississippi, once kicking a then-record 61-yard field goal in a snowstorm during a game in Utah. In 1972 he kicked a 93-yard punt in a game against the University of Mississippi. After his senior season at Southern Miss, Guy was named Most Valuable Player of the 1973 Chicago College All-Star Game, in which an all-star team of college seniors played the current Super Bowl champion. He was also a starting safety at Southern Miss; during his senior season, he intercepted a USM record eight passes, and was named an All-American defensive back. Guy also played quarterback in his early years; for much of his career he was the Raiders' emergency quarterback, replacing kicker-quarterback George Blanda in this position. During the early part of Guy's career, he would occasionally do kickoffs for the Raiders because the aging Blanda no longer had great range.

So I guess AR knows more about 1972 Southern Miss than the rest of us. Either that or he altered the wiki to make himself look good. :nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator