Offensive numbers for the year

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It cracks me up that so many blame Treon for Grier's inability to play.

Actually those stats confirm that we werent very good even with Grier, better but far from good.
Still holding on to this argument, eh? Grier was head and shoulders better and would have only improved as the season went on.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pretty obvious tale. Grier, accidentally or not, screwed us despite some big performances earlier in the year. And Treon, typical of a 2nd string QB from a non-offensive minded previous staff, did the best he could but just isn't very good. Sucks but it's reality.

How bad would be second half of 2005 looked if Leak went down?

All I see is reason to be excited for Franks and Allen.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Still holding on to this argument, eh? Grier was head and shoulders better and would have only improved as the season went on.
We assume Grier would have only gotten better. We also assumed Treon and the OL would.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was head and shoulders better and would have only improved as the season went on.
Yes, he was, but he couldn't score versus Kintucky, Tinerc or Mizzu.

Yet he got himself banned. I'm over it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Grier was getting better. I highly doubt he would have regressed....
Treon sure did when we lost our ability to run the ball. He wasn't capable of directing a pass heavy offense...especially with limited time against a 3-4 man rush.
Grier was able to overcome that due to his passing skills, but most QBs would struggle with the worst rushing attack in the country and a weak OL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We lost our ability to run the ball because teams stopped respecting the pass with Harris under center.
That's so true. Open up the field. It's 53 yards wide and even an average QB can hit passes 20 yards downfield. No defense can cover all that.

Once they back up, gash them with play action the way the OBC did. SEC defenses are almost universally poor vs the pass and built to stop the run.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We lost our ability to run the ball because teams stopped respecting the pass with Harris under center.

This is correct. We marveled at the huge open running lanes WG had when he decided to take off. It was because teams had to drop back in respect of the pass. That went away immediately when they no longer had to.

I give TH respect for what he did given his limitations. But our season looks entirely different if he never sees the field again. You can take issue with WG and his choices while still acknowledging the realities of the season.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
It cracks me up that so many blame Grier for Treons inability to play football.
It cracks me up that so many blame Treon for Grier's inability to have a brain in his skull.

Treon is who he is, and he can't help what his skillset is. Grier could have helped his dumbassery.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'm not at practice so I have no idea how bad the other QB's are. But I'm guessing the coaches know. I remember when people were clamoring for Treon over Driskel.

Edit...I'd like to add I'm not a Treon supporter at all. I think he's pretty bad as a QB.
I maintain that it was a good decision to replace Driskel with Treon.

Driskel's change of scenery and level of competition helped him this season.

Treon regressed the same way Driskel did, it just took Driskel 3 seasons of playing time to regress as far as Treon did in 7 games.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The impacts of Grier's crappy choice and Treon's deficiencies on our season are apparent. But a third impactor is the dull game planning and play calling in the second half of the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But a third impactor is the dull game planning and play calling in the second half of the season.
Look, NO ONE was more critical of the OC hire than me, no one. However, there is literally nothing you can do with an OL that is an F- at run blocking and an F+ at passblocking and a spread running QB. Nothing. The only thing that was ever going to work were quick passes (not in Treon's ability) and runs to the edge (OT and TE blocking critical both of which were poor) . The defenses figured that out quickly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
SEC defenses are almost universally poor vs the pass and built to stop the run.
Vincent Lombardi once said "attack a teams strength and their weaknesses become weaker" .....we gave up on the run too easy, meanwhile we wasted too many downs losing rushing yards because Harris was taking sacks.....Does anyone wonder what our rushing stats would have looked like if you took out sacks loss? Pound, pound, pound, pound, then bomb...should have been our game plan over the last month of the season with Treon at QB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For all you Treon supporters, or at least using the argument that if Grier didn't screw up we wouldn't have to see Treon, what would we have done if Treon got hurt? Why do we have other QBs on the roster if they never get a chance? Didn't Mac recruit Grady to come from Vandy?

Maybe scout team? Maybe in the event that Harris got hurt? Maybe as a last, last, last resort?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't the Gators play better defenses in the second half? Also the Oline was a bit beat up during the second half. This said, Treon also hurt our offense.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
But a third impactor is the dull game planning and play calling in the second half of the season.

You have to ask the question, why did the good play calling from the 1st half of the season, all the suddenly change when Grier chose to make himself ineligible? Hmmm...I wonder what changed??? Common folks it's not rocket science. You can only do so much with what you have to work with. The OC called many quick throws which had guys running across the field open, but Treon didn't get the ball to them. Is that the OC's fault??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator