***OFFICIAL COTTON BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Oklahoma***; Houston talks trash

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
"This will be our third New Year’s Six since coming here. We got to the SEC Championship Game and we were six points away. Last year we played Georgia and we were seven points away, and the comment was what’s the difference between us and Georgia, we said seven points. Right now, what’s the difference between us and the SEC Championship Game, it’s six points.”

GTFOOHYFL

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He's using the same argument Muschamp and MCelwain used. Fans , as a whole, aren't idiots. Most can see quality or lack of quality on the field. IMO, Gator fans see the worst tackling, the worst coverage and the worst safety play that we've ever seen at Florida. The DL doesn't exactly bring fear either. It was just as bad last year. The entire unit is garbage. There are talent issues but that is on the DC too.
6 points away from the SEC? If your an accountant.

We're 3 years away with back to back to back top 5 classes and coaches that can teach and demand discipline, technique and toughness.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
ESPN reporting that Houston dissed OU in comments to the media saying that "they weren't SEC" etc. Trask and a few others were neutral/complimentary.

First off: it's dumb to give the other team motivation.
Second: goes to the lack of discipline that seems to be a recurring issue on the defense and is reason #100000000 why Fat Todd needs to go.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
ESPN reporting that Houston dissed OU in comments to the media saying that "they weren't SEC" etc. Trask and a few others were neutral/complimentary.

Second: goes to the lack of discipline that seems to be a recurring issue on the defense and is reason #100000000 why Fat Todd needs to go.

Yes, that's 100% on a coordinator. I can't think of anyone else who would be responsible for that, can you?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I didn't like that kind of smack when SOS and urbs was crushing the competition. I certainly don't like it when we're a 3 loss team. Somebody smack Houston upside the head, please.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

fa7f84ef8fc114279f2c0e21bae487ec.gif

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yes, that's 100% on a coordinator. I can't think of anyone else who would be responsible for that, can you?

Mullen's at least earned some goodwill in my book; Grantham has not and it's his unit that's repeatedly prone to undisciplined play and moments of abject stupidity. Still, you have a point that Mullen has ultimate accountability for all this.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Mullen's at least earned some goodwill in my book; Grantham has not and it's his unit that's repeatedly prone to undisciplined play and moments of abject stupidity. Still, you have a point that Mullen has ultimate accountability for all this.
Agree, Grantham has to go now. Mullen has bought himself some time with the win over the dwags and the SECCG appearance. But the guy has to start acting more like a head coach. He can start by letting go of underperforming coaches, having players that show discipline and understand there are consequences for their actions, taking personal responsibility for the team, especially after losses since he is paid 6+ million a year to lead this ship. His dopey halftime and after game press conferences are becoming a joke. And he needs to work on his end of half and end of game clock management and decisions.

I don't have much faith that he can take us to the next level of success, but we should at least expect him to act like the HC, not just the OC and top buddy to assistants and players.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No complaints with the offense. Well, some questionable play calls 2-3 times a game with a consistent theme of 'a bit too cute', no issues with the offense. Im too lazy to look for the stats on this so take this with a grain of salt, it seems like they are an offense that has their sh!tt together. I do not remember many instances where there seemed to be confusion at the LOS before the snap. Not a lot of broken plays. Minimal false starts and procedural calls. And high scoring. It is a championship level offense. When Mullen arrived, this offense was broken. It had been broken for years. But now it is a championship level offense.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mullen has strong influence over every detail on the offensive side of the ball. From the offensive recruiting board to the play call on the field, he is undeniably the one to credit first for the success and turn around of the offense. This is a very positive thing and should weigh heavily on exercising a little patience to see if he can find a way to maintain that and fix obvious issues that need fixing. No denying there is a clock ticking.

However, the defense is the alter ego to the offense. In just about every category. Always looks confused and never comfortable. They are always in the neutral zone. A lot of running around confused between plays. A lot of offsides. A lot of undisciplined play and miscommunication mistakes. This is not anywhere near what a championship defense looks like. When Mullen arrived, this defense had been the only bright spot for the decade of garbage. We had some great defenses. Mullen didnt inherit a championship level defense but it was a well coached solid unit. The defenses decline since Mullen taking over directly contrasts the offenses improvements.

Obviously, Grantham needs to go. But just like Mullen gets credit for our offensive turnaround, he has to get credit for the defensive decline. Im no insider with any knowledge of whats going on with Mullen's staff and how he leads and communicates, but if I had to guess whats going on I would say Mullen is making the mistake of delegating defensive duties to Grantham with trust and minimal verification while he stays safe and comfortable coaching from the offensive side.

We might have ourselves an offensive coordinator for life as our head coach. Or maybe he figures it out and starts implementing whatever processes he's kicking arse with on the O side into the D side. If he can do that and get some recruiters recruiting, then we might have ourselves a coach. See bold above.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Is anyone surprised that Dan and Toad are talking like they’re thiiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting back to the top of the mountain? They’re delusional.

Face it, Toad isn’t going anywhere. We’re stuck with his fat ass because Dan is an OC, who has yet to figure out he needs to make changes to be a championship caliber head coach. Can anyone imagine a coach like Saban, Spurrier, Meyer, etc allowing Toad to stick around this long?

Me neither.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like Shawn and he’s had some huge plays for us. But he’s exactly the kind of guy that would benefit from a big outing. Do any of these people remember Fowler’s bowl game and what it probably did to his draft stock?
he's going to do okay in the combine and probably get a decent draft pick.

I think they're going to assume that most of his problems are a stupid fuchsing scheme.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
he's going to do okay in the combine and probably get a decent draft pick.

I think they're going to assume that most of his problems are a stupid fuchsing scheme.

To me, he’s had the least problems of the safeties. I just don’t think he ever reached his potential. Also a good example of being under coached. Guy makes a one handed INt on a deep ball, in stride, and then goes back to being average. That’s absolutely coaching and scheme.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Shawn Davis has had a knee injury and got scoped a while back according to Goldkamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.