Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida @ Texas A&M

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's also a bigger problem. There are zero good candidates put there. Most of the suggestions I see are coaches with a worse record than white. I'm not saying that I'm happy with how things are going but the market is absolutely dog shcit right now.

There are ALWAYS good candidates out there. An AD just has to do their job and find them instead of polling a few fellow AD’s (like Kevin or Danny White) and relying on them to steer you in the right direction.
Alabama and Arkansas both found really good, young coaches so I know they are out there.

Saying there are no good candidates is lazy thinking that leads to the retention of a bad coach.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are ALWAYS good candidates out there. An AD just has to do their job and find them instead of polling a few fellow AD’s (like Kevin or Danny White) and relying on them to steer you in the right direction.
Alabama and Arkansas both found really good, young coaches so I know they are out there.

Saying there are no good candidates is lazy thinking that leads to the retention of a bad coach.
We're gonna have to disagree here. Nobody really stands out like oats or musselmen to me. Not every off season yields quality candidates.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would prefer firing White and hiring Anthony Grant at this point. Yes, I know Grant couldn't do anything when he was at Alabama... but neither had anyone else really at that point he has done well at Dayton, and I'm curious to see what sort of prospects he could pull in for us here.

Do I think he can succeed here? Probably not. But I would say that about anybody, and I said it about White when he was initially hired.

We are not a basketball school and will never have a lot of success unless we find a top tier recruiter. Hard to get good recruits when they see we can't even fill the arena with fans for SEC games. Even for Billy's years attendance started dropping even though we were still a top program. White hasn't been a bad recruiter but he I don't think his classes have been as strong as Billy's and obviously he doesn't hold a candle to Billy when it comes to offensive philosophy.

I agree with Lee, keep trying to find the next great head coach until you get lucky (like pretty much all of the other SEC schools have to do except for Kentucky).
No offense fork but this is exactly what I'm talking. It would not be smart to fire a guy and blow up a decent recruiting class, only to hire a guy with a worse record . Anthony Grant's a good coach and was a big part of our programs success but he's proven that he's not a top tier sec coach and nate oats is proving that Alabama can be competitive I'm basketball.

Also, I get that football is first here and rightfully so. But very few programs have had more basketball success than us in the last 30 years. At some point we have to acknowledge that we're a top tier or atleast can be a top tier spot for a basketball coach. Just because we're a football school doesn't mean we should settle for a coached that's proven he's not gonna win championships or even really be competitive in our conference.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Oats and musselmen? You need to get out more. Or are you 95 years old?
I'm not a big fan of the "who we gonna get" argument. But realistically, who do you think we could snag? Not saying we can't get anyone. I just can't really think of anyone that's really climbing the ladder.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm not a big fan of the "who we gonna get" argument. But realistically, who do you think we could snag? Not saying we can't get anyone. I just can't really think of anyone that's really climbing the ladder.

Idk, which is why I’m not arguing your point, though I’d like to believe there IS a decent list of candidates we could reasonably believe would show interest if we called. I just lack the knowledge to say “let’s call _________!”

However, I’m literally addressing your choice of vocabulary. Pretty sure it’s something my great grandfather would’ve said, and I’m no spring chicken, either…

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Idk, which is why I’m not arguing your point, though I’d like to believe there IS a decent list of candidates we could reasonably believe would show interest if we called. I just lack the knowledge to say “let’s call _________!”

However, I’m literally addressing your choice of vocabulary. Pretty sure it’s something my great grandfather would’ve said, and I’m no spring chicken, either…
Fuker, I'm illiterate. What else can I say? I thought that was pretty well known around here

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No offense fork but this is exactly what I'm talking. It would not be smart to fire a guy and blow up a decent recruiting class, only to hire a guy with a worse record . Anthony Grant's a good coach and was a big part of our programs success but he's proven that he's not a top tier sec coach and nate oats is proving that Alabama can be competitive I'm basketball.

Also, I get that football is first here and rightfully so. But very few programs have had more basketball success than us in the last 30 years. At some point we have to acknowledge that we're a top tier or atleast can be a top tier spot for a basketball coach. Just because we're a football school doesn't mean we should settle for a coached that's proven he's not gonna win championships or even really be competitive in our conference.

Given the status of transfers in college today, a single recruiting class is insignificant. Besides, CMW turns over his roster every year anyway.

I agree with you regarding our status as a basketball school.
UF was a basketball school and can be one again with the right coach.
UF will NEVER be a basketball school again as long the local media and fans keep accepting that we are not.

I am so tired of the BS comments that Billy was a once in a lifetime coach and that UF should never expect that type of success again.
UF was never a football school until SOS came along. Imagine if the same talking heads said that UF should never expect championship performance from the football program again once Steve departed and we subsequently lowered the threshold for success.

Just making the tournament is the equivalent to making a minor bowl game. If we had applied the same flawed logic to the football program, Ron Zook would be celebrating his twentieth year as our football coach.

Results are usually directly related to expectations.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
My God, does anyone hate @Jbossgator8 as much as I and his “I told you so” rhetoric?
It's better to take the Zen-like approach with him. Jboss's posts are completely meaningless, like a light rain dripping off of a gooses feathers. If they generate any visceral reaction it should be pity, but it's better to see them for what they are, the tiniest insignificant ripple on a massive sea of waves. Peace my friend.
iStock-979263394_crop.jpg

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
A few options out there. I'm not wild about any, but here's a list

Andy Enfield at USC
Ed Cooley at Providence
Ritchie McKay at Liberty
Mike Brey at Notre Dame

If I had to choose from that group, I'd pick Cooley. But, McKay is a really good coach.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Andy Enfield at USC
Ed Cooley at Providence
Ritchie McKay at Liberty
Mike Brey at Notre Dame

If I had to choose from that group, I'd pick Cooley. But, McKay is a really good coach.
Any one of those 4! Mike Miller! @tgator himself! :gah:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Andy Enfield at USC
Ed Cooley at Providence
Ritchie McKay at Liberty
Mike Brey at Notre Dame

Again. McKay and Cooley both have worse records and less tournament success than white. Seriously doubt we could pull Enfield or Brey. Though Brey or Enfield would be really solid.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Enfield has had some trouble with the NCAA so we'd probably stay away. Mike Brey is a damn good coach but I think he's too entrenched at Notre Dame to leave or atleast to come here.

DallasTXGator

Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2020
I will take anyone who is not Mike White. 350 Division 1 head coaches in 32 conferences (so 27 non Power 5 coaches will win their conference tournaments in the next month). How about calling a few of those coaches? For fuchs sake, this is the University of Florida. How often in the last few years did you think Mike White was the better coach in any game you watched?

He can't keep the talent he assembles, the players regress the longer they are here, his pre-game prep is obviously terrible (always horrible shooting), and his in-game coaching is even worse (how about drawing up some plays and running them).

I would literally take any of the other 349 coaches at this point....

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I think Enfield has had some trouble with the NCAA so we'd probably stay away. Mike Brey is a damn good coach but I think he's too entrenched at Notre Dame to leave or atleast to come here.
Brey is way too old, but still better in the short term than White lol

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I want a coach that coaches offense. And, by that, I don't necessarily mean an offense that is up and down, scoring 90 a game. I just want to see an efficient, well coached offense with screens, constant movement...etc. No more dribble drive while everyone else stands around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator