Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** SEC Tourney - UF comes back against A&M

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I've been wondering all season wtf is up with Aberdeen? Bench filler, or what? Nice to see him show why he is there and it gives good hope - not just for the big dance, but for the next couple of years. Now I'm stressing just a little less about ZP graduating. Aberdeen isn't a direct replacement, but not a complete void either. Very happy for the young man to have a night like this. Never would have guessed he'd be our leading scorer at halftime, nor for the whole game with 20 (Richard 19, Pullin 16, Clayton 16, and Samuel 15).

For those harping on Handlogten, I was going to argue different. There have been games this season where he has come in and made a difference, kept up our 'bigs' game for us and played very well. However, after the post showing net difference rating between Handlogten and Condon...damn. Hard to argue that. Still, it is such a great luxury to have 4 active bigs you can put thru rotation - nullifies foul trouble, allows you to manage a 'bad night' for any given player. I'd rather have Micah on our team, than play against him. Still, that +/- is impressive.

Another note for me that I haven't seen mentioned is Riley Keugel never saw the court, at least he wasn't in the box score but I don't recall seeing him on the court. Maybe a few minutes in the first half? Idunno. I'm trying to figure out what Todd is doing with his guard rotation - again, a situation of riches given he can mix and match to manage fouls and 'bad nights'. But we all see Pullin is a beast and runs the show. When he's on the bench, I have to take it as giving him a breather and nothing more. Clayton disappears at times, and perhaps that earns him some bench time to see who else is 'on' that night and willing to step up. Richard another guard, sometimes off on his 3pters, but willing to drive and create. More off than not, IMO, but still among our top 3 guards. Kuegel became the active body to throw in there to rest the others, but has shown all season he is too inconsistent to be counted on for much. Aberdeen was at the end of the bench, getting a few scrap minutes in the ends of games until today. IF Aberdeen can maintain this, Keugel may look harder at a transfer. And I'm ok with that, because the minutes he gets are wasted for the team.

Overall, though, gotta love the heart on this team. No quit. If they didn't get themselves in deep holes in games, they'd be blowing people out. I don't know if they need that fighter's mentatlity to kick in, but at least they've shown they have it. Getting punched in the face doesn't phase them, just need to get the guys foused and let them run. It makes it fun for them, and us.

If I had to sum up tonight in one word, though....I'd probably go with
Here’s the thing, Aberdeen is not very good at this stage in his career. He plays with a lot of unfocused energy and unearned delusional confidence which more often than not results in a bad shot or a turnover whenever he is in the game. With that being the case, his lack of self-awareness absolutely played into his success tonight. He shot the ball with a confidence of a much more accomplished player And happened to be on a heater tonight. His performance is not indicative of a player who’s turning the corner or is ready for an expanded role. Merely a kid who doesn’t know enough to realize he shouldn’t be shooting that much. That being said he plays hard, and picked a great time to Chanel the ghost of Reggie miller

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What happened?

:dunno:

I left when we were down by 15 and the Board was ready to implode.......

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
What happened?

Ox came into the chat when things were darkest. He rallied our spirits and made us believe in Coach Golden. His impassioned pleas were inspired. United, we then cheered our team on to an amazing come-from-behind experience that would have made T's mom proud.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

I like the kid. He had a game with 17 points or something earlier in the season. He doesn’t match up that well against the “scrappy” teams and the refs call a sh!t-ton of fouls on him when he goes straight up arms extended. No doubt, condon is better. That kids a freak. One of the toughest freshman I have ever seen and he is getting better every game. But that doesn’t mean Micah doesn’t bring anything to the team. We are going to need him and everyone else in the rotation to keep this thing rolling. Hopefully he doesn’t get down on himself because he’s going to have some opportunities in the remaining games.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Here’s the thing, Aberdeen is not very good at this stage in his career. He plays with a lot of unfocused energy and unearned delusional confidence which more often than not results in a bad shot or a turnover whenever he is in the game. With that being the case, his lack of self-awareness absolutely played into his success tonight. He shot the ball with a confidence of a much more accomplished player And happened to be on a heater tonight. His performance is not indicative of a player who’s turning the corner or is ready for an expanded role. Merely a kid who doesn’t know enough to realize he shouldn’t be shooting that much. That being said he plays hard, and picked a great time to Chanel the ghost of Reggie miller
He’s a long athletic guard who plays hard, is a decent defender and has a pretty smooth looking stroke. Golden sees him everyday in practice and has elected to give him expanded minutes late in the season. I think he’s better than you are giving him credit for but obviously had a career day today. He’s not going to average 20, but just like everyone else in the 9 man rotation, he’s going to have his opportunities in the remaining games.

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
I did not realize a coach could improve from year 1 to year 2. I was told it takes 5 years and to be patient.

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric
florida-gators.gif

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Aberdeens energy on defense helped the Gators as much as his 17 points, another piece of the puzzle going forward.
Did anyone hear why R.K. never saw the floor yesterday? I assumed it was because of him turning over the ball in the heat of the battle

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What happened?

It’s basketball. There’s going to be runs. On both sides. And there’s going to be lulls in offense. On both sides.

There’s a couple posters who really overreact to the runs and lulls.

This game was a little more challenging because the officiating got really sketch halfway through the first half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator