***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs Texas A&M

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know why we are pumping up 3's with 15 sec still on the shot clock up by 10 with under 3 min to go?

I think I just heard White whisper that to one of his assistants.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well today was ugly so hopefully it's a wake up call. I'll take the W though!

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida wins 71-62. Great job adjusting by White (took a little to long imo lol) to force the tempo. Also, Chiozza and Egbunu really came alive to give us that energy and intensity that we needed. Leon had one of his best games as well. Great to win a game we should have won. On to the next one...keep improving

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I did not see the game, but sounds like the game was closer than it should have been against a below average opponent at home. Be that as it may, those things happen and they got the win, but I did look at the box score and noticed that 50% or 1/2 of our FG attempts were 3-pt shots. With all due respect, unless you are a lights out 3-pt shooting team (which UF is not), that is way too many 3-pt attempts on a % basis. Let me guess. A@M played a lot of zone defense and we just stood around the perimeter and passed the ball with no players flashing into the post or any off the ball movement? I have seen that before by Mike's teams against zones, but since I did not see the game I can't comment. Either way, it is the time of the year to get into a high gear if you want to make a deep tourney run.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mailed in the win today against a bad team. Turned up the defense toward the end for the easy win.

I think Leon was the only guy that gave max effort the whole game.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
The Aggies seemed to have faded quickly after a 28-9 record last season along with a sweet 16 appearance against OU.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Florida wins 71-62. Great job adjusting by White (took a little to long imo lol) to force the tempo. Also, Chiozza and Egbunu really came alive to give us that energy and intensity that we needed. Leon had one of his best games as well. Great to win a game we should have won. On to the next one...keep improving
I finally got into the arena today. Lots of people willing to help. Seats were nice. We were about half way up and it was a great view. Fla was kcking it early and TAM called TO and then they were a different team. We finally got about 5 foul calls with about 9 min left and we took them down. Barry missed and missed and then at the end was money. Chiozza hit big shot and FTs that pretty much nailed it. Justin L was money most of the day. He took that quick three about t 2:30 mrk and Mike took him out. Right away Barry had a open three and pulled it back to run clock. TAM had big boys that could work around that basket. Their frshmn #44 is gonna be a good one. we got about one off reb. but they didnt get many. They were a big physical team that hung in there when our shots quit falling. When they started going in they had no answer..........Our perimeter Def was good most of the game. Chiozza wrkd his ass of on Def the 2nd half. Great to finally get inside there to see what the changes were.............

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We still have issues with zone D. We can't seem to find any cracks to drive, or to shoot over it to force them out of them. Our offense declining was a big reason the margin of victory was not more. Good push at the end of the game to win!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
First few minutes, our perimeter guys fed Egbunu & Hayes inside and they scored effectively. Some passes were "hot" bounce-passes, some "sky"-passes for slams. Then our "team-guys" stopped even trying that any more. #1 Eggie doesn't have sure-grip hands for a big guy. #2 no matter if "Ta&m" defends the inside tighter, you still got to "feed" = get some fouls, get some more rim-drop points. Our guys cannot allow a defense to cause them to stop all the moves of basketball and "force" guys just as afterthoughts putting it up from outside the arc (29.4%).

Kudos to Egbunu & Chiozza for playing 32 minutes, but Egg had 1 foul - does he attack the basket aggressive enough? He doesn't seem to have that big-man move where he butt-backs his defender closer to the basket.(Our opponent's big men seem to??)

The inside bigs we depend on = Egbunu FG% 48% ... Hayes 62.4% .... Rimmer! 50% with his fallaway jumbler ..............
Egg = 4-5 FG, 11 pts
Allen = 3-8 FG, 8 pts
DRob = 2-9 FG, 4 pts
Barry = 3-9 FG, 12 pts = the sweetness of having an extremely high % FT shooter!
Chiozza = 1-4 FG, 1-4 for 3s
Hill took 1 shot? 0 pts
Hayes 2-2 FG, 4 pts (1 rb?)
So this shows we played a non-competitive game ... and still won. But with too little inside dominance tourney teams will beat us. Somebody work with our inside men on gripping the "hot pass", the "put-back" and go to the hole, please!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting for TraskTrainJay26 to show up and tell how Great we are.

Point guards regressed today but we still found a way to beat a team we should.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you guys need a lesson in how basketball seasons work. You're never going to have your best every game. These guys have shown lots of maturity and poise in several games this year when they were faced with a big run by the opponent and have withstood it and won. That's not only a testament to the leadership on the team, but to Mike White, as well. I'd love to see them eliminate those big runs by their opponents, but for now, winning will work.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
First few minutes, our perimeter guys fed Egbunu & Hayes inside and they scored effectively. Some passes were "hot" bounce-passes, some "sky"-passes for slams. Then our "team-guys" stopped even trying that any more. #1 Eggie doesn't have sure-grip hands for a big guy. #2 no matter if "Ta&m" defends the inside tighter, you still got to "feed" = get some fouls, get some more rim-drop points. Our guys cannot allow a defense to cause them to stop all the moves of basketball and "force" guys just as afterthoughts putting it up from outside the arc (29.4%).

Kudos to Egbunu & Chiozza for playing 32 minutes, but Egg had 1 foul - does he attack the basket aggressive enough? He doesn't seem to have that big-man move where he butt-backs his defender closer to the basket.(Our opponent's big men seem to??)

The inside bigs we depend on = Egbunu FG% 48% ... Hayes 62.4% .... Rimmer! 50% with his fallaway jumbler ..............
Egg = 4-5 FG, 11 pts
Allen = 3-8 FG, 8 pts
DRob = 2-9 FG, 4 pts
Barry = 3-9 FG, 12 pts = the sweetness of having an extremely high % FT shooter!
Chiozza = 1-4 FG, 1-4 for 3s
Hill took 1 shot? 0 pts
Hayes 2-2 FG, 4 pts (1 rb?)
So this shows we played a non-competitive game ... and still won. But with too little inside dominance tourney teams will beat us. Somebody work with our inside men on gripping the "hot pass", the "put-back" and go to the hole, please!
stone hands seemed to afflict Patric Young as well. those big boys need to be able to catch those passes cleanly

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting for TraskTrainJay26 to show up and tell how Great we are.

Point guards regressed today but we still found a way to beat a team we should.

We are a projected 3 seed :dunno:

Guess I'll try harder to find something to be negative about...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
We still have issues with zone D. We can't seem to find any cracks to drive, or to shoot over it to force them out of them. Our offense declining was a big reason the margin of victory was not more. Good push at the end of the game to win!!!

Yeah, I see zone defenses as defenses where UF should easily get the ball to Barry where he can make his little move and make a runner. Also Robinson should easily get the ball and make a little move and get his 10' jumper. Oddly UF did not do either much today of course in part because Robinson was terribly off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator