***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Auburn***

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Was that the game at Auburn where we lost in the last minutes, the score was like 10-7. I was at that one and Emmitt was pretty upset.

Yes. I’m not sure who actually blew their assignment, but I remember Tim Paulk being the LB that was trying to scramble backwards to stop the TD completion.

My father always insisted that the loss that night was when Smith decided to leave. You could see it killed him and it seemed like we were just never going to get over that hump. Pretty sure that eliminated us from SEC contention because we’d lost to OM in the opener.

And you guys wonder why some of us despise those orange jerseys.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Yes. I’m not sure who actually blew their assignment, but I remember Tim Paulk being the LB that was trying to scramble backwards to stop the TD completion.

My father always insisted that the loss that night was when Smith decided to leave. You could see it killed him and it seemed like we were just never going to get over that hump. Pretty sure that eliminated us from SEC contention because we’d lost to OM in the opener.

And you guys wonder why some of us despise those orange jerseys.
I can do without them.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
You’ve bashed Florida every which way, then always add, “I sure hope I’m wrong”. You had better hope you’re right, or you’re going to hear about your pathetic defeatism all week from me.

I call it like I see it, I don’t make predictions on hopes and dreams like you do. I can take whatever bashing you want to dish out, if your right. Your the one that can’t take criticism if your wrong. Last I checked I wasn’t the only person to predict a loss.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Someone listened to it?

That’s actually hilarious. Kyle Nix was a childhood friend of mine in the mid 80’s. Haven’t thought of him in years, but evidently he was alive and well in my subconscious.
I thought you were mixing Trask and Nix. Funny it's an actual person. I love the podcasts as it gives me something else to listen to in the car (as well as the podcasts and press conferences folks post); I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. In case you are wondering it was near the end of your podcast, probably around the 11 minute mark or so.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody else think that because of Auburn's defensive line (one of the best in the country I hear) that we see quite a bit of EJ instead of Trask?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody else think that because of Auburn's defensive line (one of the best in the country I hear) that we see quite a bit of EJ instead of Trask?
Auburn's defensive line is exactly why we shouldn't be running the option and should be passing (quickly) instead.....

these are not mini Ends who are good only for blitzing. These are 300 pounders who attack the run.

if we are going to run we better run outside and fast

of course it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Auburn's defensive line is exactly why we shouldn't be running the option and should be passing instead.....

of course it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.
I'm not talking about running the option, I'm talking about accepting some dropoff in the passing game in favor of a QB who can scramble.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Wondered about that myself. Last week was the first time I thought EJ might be a viable option.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
This is from a different poster but either way good info:

Under pressure, Nix is 8-for-35 for 117 yards with one touchdown and one interception, per Sports Info Solutions. Last Saturday, Nix, who went 16-for-21 passing for 335 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions, didn’t complete a pass in the five times Mississippi State pressured him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Our oline steps up and gives Trask time to throw. Fingers crossed.

Seasons, teams, and units within them are a fluid, evolving thing. I'm not surprised that we're not great along the OL thus far, though they're below where I thought they'd be coming in. That said, it's not really because of terrible players, but rather a lack of experience, even more so playing as a group. That is going to change(better or worse) throughout the season. Even 2008, we didn't see the OL step up and look good until the Lsu game. Just as we expect guys like Elam and Hill to get better with reps, we may just see this OL improve weekly and be pleasantly surprised. That's my hope.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

That Miss State QB was able to run on them some while their RB had no real success running on Auburn. Might be a good time to run Jones some. I think Jones might be the only way to get some real rushing yards on them regardless of the scrambling angle.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some Auburn fan was claiming we haven't even beat a team yet this season that has a win over a power 5 conference team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not talking about running the option, I'm talking about accepting some dropoff in the passing game in favor of a QB who can scramble.
look I have no doubt his inclination is the play the guy that runs. zero doubt.

in fact I suspect if we weren't down so far at Kentucky, it might have not been Trash over EJ initially.

the improvement in the offense caused by actually using our receiver pool instead of relentlessly runningnthe option (for a 1-2 yd average) is probably quite embarrassing to our offensive genius.

like most hard-headed coaches he probably thinks the problem isn't his scheme it's just that the players aren't running it right.

I don't know how he could switch quarterbacks.
however, he is showing Trash or EJ on the depth chart still.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some Auburn fan was claiming we haven't even beat a team yet this season that has a win over a power 5 conference team.
I'm not sure that scUM or Kentucky will have many wins over a power 5 team.

they are two terrible teams.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.