Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WTF is a “bookie?”

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Gameday two weeks in a row??

Florida will be on Gameday 3 times in the first 8 weeks of college football. I did not see it coming preseason that we would be getting so much exposure. It will be 5 of the first 11 weeks if we win Saturday.

Not sure if you noticed, but Jones is significantly more talented than Trask. He had the best looking drive yesterday, until Mullen shut him down with only sideways passes and runs up the gut when we got in FG range. Jones will be ready if needed and has the potential to make the offense much more dynamic.

Nothing against Trask, I love the job he's been doing and hope he can play for sake of consistency, but "having" to play Jones over Trask could be similar to "having" to play Trask over Franks.

The biggest problem with EJ is Mullen does not trust him. With Trask, we get to 3rd and 8, Mullen lets him throw for the first down. Over a couple games, with EJ he switches to his usual conservative calls, just like he did with Franks. You can tell his trust level by the playcall.

More importantly, if KT is out, Mullen would be running his last QB. After that it is a walk on. I am sure that will limit his playbook having that in the back of his mind.

I would understand this rationale in the NFL, where keeping him healthy would matter for the playoffs. In this situation, you have a chance at a special season and to change the course of the program. I don't see how you play it conservative. You've got to go full Herm Edwards:

upload_2019-10-8_11-51-15.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Florida will be on Gameday 3 times in the first 8 weeks of college football. I did not see it coming preseason that we would be getting so much exposure. It will be 5 of the first 11 weeks if we win Saturday.

The biggest problem with EJ is Mullen does not trust him. With Trask, we get to 3rd and 8, Mullen lets him throw for the first down. Over a couple games, with EJ he switches to his usual conservative calls, just like he did with Franks. You can tell his trust level by the playcall.

I would understand this rationale in the NFL, where keeping him healthy would matter for the playoffs. In this situation, you have a chance at a special season and to change the course of the program. I don't see how you play it conservative. You've got to go full Herm Edwards:

Just a bit of a contrarian thought, and this may not be popular. But aside from sheer principle, the bad blood, and ultimately wanting to win rather than lose, this is really a meaningless game for UF. Really for them as well. There aren't any more games we can lose and still accomplish our preseason goals, except this one. As was brought out in the thread yesterday, we're probably not a playoff or even SEC contender this year. That said, if we're looking at it from that vantage point, we can lose Saturday, run the table, and be fine. Technically Aub fit that criteria as well, but it was huge because of the exposure and defending/resurrecting the Swamp. Outside of just getting blown out, Saturday doesn't really have any impact.

So, where I was going with this is I'm not sure how this impacts our approach, specifically with regards to Trask's knee. If he doesn't improve, or if there's the slightest bit of concern during the game, I wonder if Mullen would shut him down, with a division game looming the next week and of course uga in three.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Just a bit of a contrarian thought, and this may not be popular. But aside from sheer principle, the bad blood, and ultimately wanting to win rather than lose, this is really a meaningless game for UF. Really for them as well. There aren't any more games we can lose and still accomplish our preseason goals, except this one. As was brought out in the thread yesterday, we're probably not a playoff or even SEC contender this year. That said, if we're looking at it from that vantage point, we can lose Saturday, run the table, and be fine. Technically Aub fit that criteria as well, but it was huge because of the exposure and defending/resurrecting the Swamp. Outside of just getting blown out, Saturday doesn't really have any impact.

So, where I was going with this is I'm not sure how this impacts our approach, specifically with regards to Trask's knee. If he doesn't improve, or if there's the slightest bit of concern during the game, I wonder if Mullen would shut him down, with a division game looming the next week and of course uga in three.

This is a good point (I should have been more attuned to it though, as I just had this conversation with my 9 year old), though I don't think Auburn fit the same situation because the LSU game was lingering. Now, having beaten Auburn, it is true for LSU.

I'd still say my larger point holds though. If EJ is the only available option moving forward, I hope we don't simply try to keep him healthy, opposed to running the offense he is best suited to run. Even against Auburn's elite run defense, we moved the ball running when EJ was in and a legit running threat.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
This is actually a false narrative, I read that the last time we played there at night was like 2015 and the we've had them in the swamp at night more times in the last decade
You should try reading critically more often. I was not only speaking about LSU UF, I was talking about LSU home games in general. The numbers back that up.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

Not technically true for at least 2 scenarios. First, if we lose this one, you just burned your safety margin meaning we could beat Georgia and still not go to the SECCG if we lose to LSU and slip up against say USC or Mizzou. And second, it's possible but unlikely that Georgia could lose twice but beat us, and if that was our only loss we would still go to the SECCG. If our goal is to go to the SECCG then every conference game is important.

Now you can argue we don't want to go to the SECCG because we're not good enough to play with Bama but I don't subscribe to that philosophy. First of all, there is no guarantee that Bama will be the west representative, and two, you can't win the SEC without playing in the game so getting to that game is always the goal.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
We need THIS game badly. LSU has some warts on both offense and defense that I believe the Gators can expose. This stage may be even bigger than last week and pay huge dividends for the program's future. We will be USCe's conference game of the year while our Gators have two extremely emotional games back to back against top 10 teams and rivals. Mizzou has been a thorn in our sides since Spurrier PLAYED. We could easily lose to one of these two teams on a bad day. We need to BEAT LSU.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Forgive my ignorance, but if LSU goes with press coverage, but does not get pressure on Trask as well as Auburn did, would I be correct that this could make them susceptible to a lot of big plays in the passing game? I know Trask doesn’t seem to ever scramble from the pocket, but would this give him running opportunities (on pass plays) as well?
On one of his last runs against the Barn, there was a huge hole and Trask still managed to lose yardage on the play. Any offensive game plan that relies on Trask runs is likely to be a losing game plan. Other than QB sneaks, the less Trask runs the better.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not technically true for at least 2 scenarios. First, if we lose this one, you just burned your safety margin meaning we could beat Georgia and still not go to the SECCG if we lose to LSU and slip up against say USC or Mizzou. And second, it's possible but unlikely that Georgia could lose twice but beat us, and if that was our only loss we would still go to the SECCG. If our goal is to go to the SECCG then every conference game is important.

Now you can argue we don't want to go to the SECCG because we're not good enough to play with Bama but I don't subscribe to that philosophy. First of all, there is no guarantee that Bama will be the west representative, and two, you can't win the SEC without playing in the game so getting to that game is always the goal.

To your last point, I'm totally in agreement. I'll take my chances with this team against anyone if it means we have a chance at a title.

But, to your first scenario, yes technically we could lose another game but beat uga and make Atl. Fair enough. I was actually melding the SECCG with the idea of the Playoff. But you're correct. As to your second one, not only do I think it's unlikely that uga loses two and neither are UF, I hate the idea of losing an East game but still claiming the division. Only once have we done that('16) and it sucked. When we've won our division, we've won our division. Needing others to help eliminate our Eastern opponents that we've lost to in order to make the SECCG is vintage uga garbage.

But again, I think the JM days are skewing some of our minds when it comes to these big games. Count me in on a 60 minute contest with this team vs anyone. We may not win, but like you, I'll take that chance all day.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

"We don't like each other.." mentioned in both videos. We better come to play and keep calm.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
Burrow has certainly improved his game under pressure this season. And he has been pressured. My thoughts though are that with our pressure even being a half second quicker could make all the difference and hopefully forces him to revert back to his real self.

He hasn’t faced the greatest Ds and nothing like ours to date. Hit him early and often. Mistakes will come.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
Defenses LSU has faced to date...
Georgia Southern - 122nd.
Texas - 102nd
NW State - 112th (FCS)
Vanderbilt - 125th
Utah State - 57th.

I mean. We’ll be in this game till the end.

#s a bit skewed of course because. All these teams have been beaten up by LSUs O. Still, not the greatest set of power house defenses they’ve seen.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
To your last point, I'm totally in agreement. I'll take my chances with this team against anyone if it means we have a chance at a title.

But, to your first scenario, yes technically we could lose another game but beat uga and make Atl. Fair enough. I was actually melding the SECCG with the idea of the Playoff. But you're correct. As to your second one, not only do I think it's unlikely that uga loses two and neither are UF, I hate the idea of losing an East game but still claiming the division. Only once have we done that('16) and it sucked. When we've won our division, we've won our division. Needing others to help eliminate our Eastern opponents that we've lost to in order to make the SECCG is vintage uga garbage.

But again, I think the JM days are skewing some of our minds when it comes to these big games. Count me in on a 60 minute contest with this team vs anyone. We may not win, but like you, I'll take that chance all day.
No doubt, it would be a long shot to get to the SECCG if we lose to the ball-lickers, but as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results, so however we got to the SECCG, I'd take it. So with subjectivity removed, from a purely mathematical viewpoint, this game is important to maximize our chances to get to the SECCG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.