****Official Game Thread: UF vs. Mich St. (BB)****

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So, you guys expected to go on the road against the #1 team and light it up? FFS, they didn't shoot much better except from the FT line. Should they be crying, as well?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Shcit, we didn't defend well. They missed alot of good looks. They got whatever they wanted offensively. They may be ranked #1 but that team wasn't the best in the country and wont be at the end of the year. I'm "crying" because we probably win that game with billy. Wich is pointless.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Stupid........this guy is coaching a team that cannot shoot FTs , most shoot poorly from the field and their 3pt shooting is abysmal . And takes Mich St to the end with defense. Gotta give him time. Billy is not here anymore so let it go.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I don't know why some of you seem surprised by the lack of offense. They had that issue last year. Their D has not really been the issue. Yesterday we thought this team would lose by 20. FT shooting again sucked. Hill was 3 for 8...atrocious. Losing by 6 at Sparty isn't bad. But again, I'm Mr. Brightside.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Shcit, we didn't defend well. They missed alot of good looks. They got whatever they wanted offensively. They may be ranked #1 but that team wasn't the best in the country and wont be at the end of the year. I'm "crying" because we probably win that game with billy. Wich is pointless.
We defended extremely well almost all night. We gave up too many rebounds cause Egbunu basically didn't play. If the refs were somewhat even he plays normal min and we win. It was a good game against the #1 team on the road. We started making shots in the 2nd half and actually had some guards score in the game. Still a long way to go, but some decent improvement was made tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The team played pretty well overall but just couldn't knock down shots.
But they had no chance with the officiating, it was ridiculous. The outcome was predetermined

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Enough with the refs, some blame the zebras every game, enough with the crying, we r an average team right now

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My God, some of you would find the bright side of a shît pile. I just finished watching the game and the officiating was extremely fair. They let the guys play instead of calling every ticky-tack foul. Could more calls gone our way? Sure. But the same could have been said for them.

We didn't play great defense, we played with a lot of hustle and energy which helped in our "Streetball" style. We got a ton of loose balls but we left Sparty wide open for a ton of shots. Shots that just weren't falling for them tonight. They had a bad shooting night, but not due to our defense.

I was happy for Chiozza for his 3s in a row but being 0-12 before that, I just don't get it. I don't understand why the coach lets them continue to chuck it up. It's so frustrating seeing air ball after backboard brick from 3 over and over and over.

Glad some of you take the moral victory. You're going to need it a lot this year. Hope the team isn't settle for it.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
My God, some of you would find the bright side of a shît pile. I just finished watching the game and the officiating was extremely fair. They let the guys play instead of calling every ticky-tack foul. Could more calls gone our way? Sure. But the same could have been said for them.

We didn't play great defense, we played with a lot of hustle and energy which helped in our "Streetball" style. We got a ton of loose balls but we left Sparty wide open for a ton of shots. Shots that just weren't falling for them tonight. They had a bad shooting night, but not due to our defense.

I was happy for Chiozza for his 3s in a row but being 0-12 before that, I just don't get it. I don't understand why the coach lets them continue to chuck it up. It's so frustrating seeing air ball after backboard brick from 3 over and over and over.

Glad some of you take the moral victory. You're going to need it a lot this year. Hope the team isn't settle for it.

Idk if I've ever seen you post something positive about UF bball...

I have to believe that BFR and Allen will find their strokes sooner or later, they are too talented of shooters not to. Hill and Walker at this point are who they are..brutal shooters.

They've played 3 ranked teams and hung in with all 3 (final scores weren't indicative of the Purdue and Miami games). We've got a lot of talent and I think they'll only get better. In the words of Aaron Rodgers, R E L A X.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Tonight MSU played down to the level of their competition. None of our Gator players
shot these poor %s in H.S ... or they would never have gotten a scholly offer from UF.
It's inexplicable, since in H.S. and college the rim height's the same, diameter's the same,
the backboard's are the same ... so if you get your shot you should hit the % similar as
done in H.S.??

So far, I do not appreciate coach White's teaching.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Tonight MSU played down to the level of their competition. None of our Gator players
shot these poor %s in H.S ... or they would never have gotten a scholly offer from UF.
It's inexplicable, since in H.S. and college the rim height's the same, diameter's the same,
the backboard's are the same ... so if you get your shot you should hit the % similar as
done in H.S.??

So far, I do not appreciate coach White's teaching.
To be fair the majority of the crap shooting started with Billy as the coach. Hill, Chiozza, BFR, Walker, and Drob all have had 1000 times more coaching from Billy than White so far. All recruited by Billy as well. Only one solely on White is Allen. I expect better shooting as the season progresses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Idk if I've ever seen you post something positive about UF bball...

I have to believe that BFR and Allen will find their strokes sooner or later, they are too talented of shooters not to. Hill and Walker at this point are who they are..brutal shooters.

They've played 3 ranked teams and hung in with all 3 (final scores weren't indicative of the Purdue and Miami games). We've got a lot of talent and I think they'll only get better. In the words of Aaron Rodgers, R E L A X.

Please show me where I didn't post anything positive in my post. Perhaps you need to take off you rainbow glasses and be a little objective. If I don't project a 68-63 winning score (cough) I'm labeled as not being positive, ever?

Pump on, bro.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

They've gotta start taking better shots.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Please show me where I didn't post anything positive in my post. Perhaps you need to take off you rainbow glasses and be a little objective. If I don't project a 68-63 winning score (cough) I'm labeled as not being positive, ever?

Pump on, bro.
Eight games in and you're chastising guys about seeing the "bright side of a sh!t pile" and accepting "moral victories" will cause some to interpret as being negative. You've also stated that White has the team playing "street ball," with which I will disagree. They run a high pick motion with the three up top and look to penetrate if possible and/or get the ball to one of the posts if he has position. Now, do they run it to perfection? No. In fact, their early inconsistency hurts us offensively as well as our poor shooting and shot selection. I'd guess that part of that is transitioning from Billy's hi/lo post offense as well as a lot of youngsters being relied upon for minutes they may not be ready for. Add that to some of the vets who are continuing to struggle and you get a work in progress.

My opinion on the officiating differs from yours. We didn't win hardly any of the charge/block calls and I thought the replays indicated as such. I also thought that Egbunu and Rimmer picked up some tricky-tack fouls, the "play on" no calls that Jim Calhoun pointed out a couple of times. But again, that is a matter of opinion. You don't expect to get 'em all on the road, especially going up against Izzo and the #1 ranked Spartans, but you'd at least like the obvious ones!

As for "moral victories," I thought, as you opined, that the kids played with a lot of energy. I'm not much on moral victories myself, but I do think there were improvements. I also think our kids were better defensively than you give them credit for being. Offensivel, we gave up some turnovers and w/o Egbunu and, to a little lesser extent, Rimmer, we surrendered too many offensive rebounds (some of which were long from three point attempts). But we still were able to hold MSU under 60, due in large part to the turnovers we created. If I do have a peave about the defense, it is that we seem to switch more on picks than fight through, resulting sometimes in mismatches that lead to easy buckets and fouls. Kasey Hill had this happen a couple of times last night. Being able to switch back before getting hurt is the key to having this approach be successful and it takes a lot of hustle and communication for this to happen and we aren't there yet.

One poster reminds us that Billy struggled last year with some of these same players and he at least had a shooter who left for the draft. I'm not nearly ready to dismiss White. In fact he comes in with a very similar resume to what Billy brought 20 years ago. Not saying he'll duplicate, but he needs a chance. If 8 games throws you for a loop, chances are you'll be miserable all season long. Relax, it's early and they are gaining experience against some good teams that will benefit us. BTW I hope you took us and the points!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Eight games in and you're chastising guys about seeing the "bright side of a sh!t pile" and accepting "moral victories" will cause some to interpret as being negative. You've also stated that White has the team playing "street ball," with which I will disagree. They run a high pick motion with the three up top and look to penetrate if possible and/or get the ball to one of the posts if he has position. Now, do they run it to perfection? No. In fact, their early inconsistency hurts us offensively as well as our poor shooting and shot selection. I'd guess that part of that is transitioning from Billy's hi/lo post offense as well as a lot of youngsters being relied upon for minutes they may not be ready for. Add that to some of the vets who are continuing to struggle and you get a work in progress.

My opinion on the officiating differs from yours. We didn't win hardly any of the charge/block calls and I thought the replays indicated as such. I also thought that Egbunu and Rimmer picked up some tricky-tack fouls, the "play on" no calls that Jim Calhoun pointed out a couple of times. But again, that is a matter of opinion. You don't expect to get 'em all on the road, especially going up against Izzo and the #1 ranked Spartans, but you'd at least like the obvious ones!

As for "moral victories," I thought, as you opined, that the kids played with a lot of energy. I'm not much on moral victories myself, but I do think there were improvements. I also think our kids were better defensively than you give them credit for being. Offensivel, we gave up some turnovers and w/o Egbunu and, to a little lesser extent, Rimmer, we surrendered too many offensive rebounds (some of which were long from three point attempts). But we still were able to hold MSU under 60, due in large part to the turnovers we created. If I do have a peave about the defense, it is that we seem to switch more on picks than fight through, resulting sometimes in mismatches that lead to easy buckets and fouls. Kasey Hill had this happen a couple of times last night. Being able to switch back before getting hurt is the key to having this approach be successful and it takes a lot of hustle and communication for this to happen and we aren't there yet.

One poster reminds us that Billy struggled last year with some of these same players and he at least had a shooter who left for the draft. I'm not nearly ready to dismiss White. In fact he comes in with a very similar resume to what Billy brought 20 years ago. Not saying he'll duplicate, but he needs a chance. If 8 games throws you for a loop, chances are you'll be miserable all season long. Relax, it's early and they are gaining experience against some good teams that will benefit us. BTW I hope you took us and the points!

I didn't watch this game but I watched the last several ones. The biggest problem with this team is that they cannot shoot. These kids need to take a little bit of responsibility and go to the gym and shoot, shoot, shoot. Until their arms and legs give out. I'm sure they can find a number of people to just feed them the ball over, and over, and over. There is no reason to be missing 10 footers. Not that this level.

I think that his style of play also dictates a smart, sharpshooting PG. Someone who can really penetrate and hit daggers but can also hit players in the right spot for easy buckets. Someone who makes really good decisions with the ball.

He needs to recruit one.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

:clap:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I love the energy that the team played with, but they are way too in love with the 3 point shot.

I think one of the things that was most obvious to me was how much more organized and efficient MSU was on offense. They moved the ball very well and they were setting screens off the ball all night. When Florida has the ball the guard on top is dribbling a ton and then maybe there is an on ball screen and that is it.

Currently the talent and shooting issue is more of a Billy statement than a White statement. These kids were recruited by Billy and they just don't seem to be as talented as some of the guys we have had in the past.

The lack of an organized offense is on White... now maybe they are still learning a system and adjusting, but it absolutely looks like streetball out there. One guy dribbling a ton and guys driving and just jacking up shots with no real plan.

This team needs a lot of work and they need to be Okie State on Saturday.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FG 33%
3 Pt 22%
FT 55 %

Forget making the NCAAs, We'll be lucky to finish with a winning record with this inability to put the ball through the hoop. A basketball team that can't score is about as effective as a FB team that can't pass or run. Just about as frustrating to watch as well.

It was against #1, in their house, and we only lost by 6. I get that we're having trouble scoring and I really hope we can get that turned around - we need to find a way to gain confidence shooting, particularly on the road.

MSU stats
FG 37%
3 Pt 20%
FT 73%

Not much better than our #s - neither team shot well. MSU had 11 more rebounds and 8 more assists than us. That's the difference in the game right there, other than the home cookin'. Don't know why 't' doesn't like our D. We're in the top 20 in points allowed and #1 in the SEC. We held #1 to 58 points, 13 below their previous low outing of the year (vs. Louisville) and 24 points below their average.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It was against #1, in their house, and we only lost by 6. I get that we're having trouble scoring and I really hope we can get that turned around - we need to find a way to gain confidence shooting, particularly on the road.

MSU stats
FG 37%
3 Pt 20%
FT 73%

Not much better than our #s - neither team shot well. MSU had 11 more rebounds and 8 more assists than us. That's the difference in the game right there, other than the home cookin'. Don't know why 't' doesn't like our D. We're in the top 20 in points allowed and #1 in the SEC. We held #1 to 58 points, 13 below their previous low outing of the year (vs. Louisville) and 24 points below their average.

I'm happy with what we did against #1, but the reality is that they had open shots that they were missing that they usually don't miss. Michigan State was having an off night which gave us a chance, but we needed to have an "on" night and we didn't. I think we have had a couple at home where we hit shots, but this is not a very good shooting team and the defense is more suspect then that stats show.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

MSU stats
FG 37%
3 Pt 20%
FT 73%

Our D is very good, and defensive effort is something you can bring every night to help you out when the shots aren't falling, but good-god these guys are terrible at shooting.

MSU had an off night but still hit 73% from the stripe. They had open 3's missed repeatedly by very good shooters. In other words the final score was much closer than it should have been because their shooting numbers were an aberration, ours were just reflective of who we are. It sucks because this team is crazy athletic and fast with great size as well. All I want for Christmas is for the starters to increase their FG and FT percentages by around 10 percent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator