***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Towson***

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Well, maybe SOS can get in Mullen’s ear because I don’t see him changing his run game. We’re 5 games in and he’s still b*tching about missed assignments yet we haven’t changed the blocking scheme at all to simplify it for the new guys.

He turned the reins over to Pierce today. We know who the new number one is going forward.

At least that’s one change.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He turned the reins over to Pierce today. We know who the new number one is going forward.

At least that’s one change.
Is he though? Perine was in first and often early. Not sure why - the difference is noticeable. Maybe Pierce just sucks at pass blocking or something. Would sure like to see Pierce catch a few too.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, afraid it's always going to be under Grantham. One hopes he gets more rewards than the risk.
He's just a gambler. We are top ten in so many categories....Interceptions, Sacks, TFL. It's an exciting style of defense. The players love it. I love it. There will be plenty more "third and Grantham's" to b!tch about. Just keep in mind the flip side, the pay-offs. I love turnovers.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Towson is playing hard and well, but it looks like we’re a head taller at almost every position. Still, the offense looks a lot crisper than UT-Martin which is nice to see.

The defense seems to lack intensity for much of the game. Funny to say that with a shutout, but they’ve let Towson move the ball.
It like Varsity vs. JV.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
He's just a gambler. We are top ten in so many categories....Interceptions, Sacks, TFL. It's an exciting style of defense. The players love it. I love it. There will be plenty more "third and Grantham's" to b!tch about. Just keep in mind the flip side, the pay-offs. I love turnovers.
The real payoff will be determined by how well we do in big games over time if he stays that long. He does have a history of moving around. Heck, about as much as his defenses.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He ran a balanced offense. He just excelled at the passing game.

Steve's offense was merely numerically balanced by #s of pass plays v run plays. His big imbalance came when you compared yards gained by pass versus yards gained by run = no balance there. Of course, Steve mostly trained his QBs and WRs in the longer passes, i.e. none of these sideways passes.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The bubble screens we run each game for some people count as a running play. If you do that it helps even up the run/pass discrepancy.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Steve's offense was merely numerically balanced by #s of pass plays v run plays. His big imbalance came when you compared yards gained by pass versus yards gained by run = no balance there. Of course, Steve mostly trained his QBs and WRs in the longer passes, i.e. none of these sideways passes.

Except Emory & Henry.

SOS kept them worried about 20-yard passes. If I were Mullen, I’d pick his brain regularly.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Another good scoring result with a lot of less than acceptable plays in between. Our run blocking is a major issue and somewhat we are not running the QB option much at all. Our front 7 is also not getting the job done, LBs in particular taking wrong angles and not covering their responsibilities allow for gains that should not happen. Perhaps when we are at full strength some of these things will improve.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Is he though? Perine was in first and often early. Not sure why - the difference is noticeable. Maybe Pierce just sucks at pass blocking or something. Would sure like to see Pierce catch a few too.

I think this game saw the changing of the guard.

Perine did start but Pierce was getting more snaps as the game progressed and before the mass subs started, he was getting them all.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Still think Perine is the guy because the OL sucks. Barn will destroy the pass blocking, curious what the game plan will be. Passes behind the line are tough with a fast defensive unit. Timing and everything need to be perfect. More misdirection? Not a fan of reverses with our OL as the D is too deep.

We have zero pass rush unless the opposing OL is slow, so blitzing is required to save the DBs. Hopefully we get the balance right. Tackling needs to keep improving. Freshman are showing promise.

Pitts and the starting WR really turning it up and the O seems to flow better with the quick downfield routes.

Random thoughts from cranky old dude who threw way too much sakrete yesterday;(

Go Gators

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
549d0501e4a2f490290bbd2668056baf.jpg

Was rewatching the game and caught a glimpse of this hat. Thought it said Titleist at first but after a closer look...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator