Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Also, if I heard the commentary correctly, during the 3rd quarter right after the break, one of the commentators said something like, "UF's Mertz set an all-time high for UF for yards in the first half."
That can't be true.
He definitely said that

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, I also thought he did say it. But like la Paz stated, it was obviously in error and he must have meant for Mertz.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sure we have a chance. A lot needs to improve, but if we play well we can upset them.

We have an advantage at QB. We’ve got multiple threats on offense which will test them. If we have time.

Biggest concerns are on the LOS - both sides. Beck hasn’t yet been touched and we don’t get much pressure on anyone. Can we adjust some people or schemes to get to him? Can we get better push from our enormous DL to help our LB and DEs have cleaner gap control? Can our safeties provide better support on deep balls?

Can our offense keep their DL thinking and misdirected, opening holes for the running game? Can we protect Mertz better?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thinking back to 1980 when Herschel burst on the scene as a freshman. The prior year UGA fell a win short of being SEC champs and the entire OL returned. Those too young to remember it have never seen anyone like Herschel. He was the size of a DE and the fastest guy on the field. Derrick Henry is the closest current RB, but Herschel was a cut above him.

UF was coming off 0-10-1 but was proving much better. Mike Shanahan surprised UGA by going 5-wide, led by Collinsworth & Tyrone Young and freshman QB Wayne Peace. It worked. Had Vito McKeever’s(?) knee not buckled when he planted to cover Lindsay Scott, we would have won.

We have a chance.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sure we have a chance. A lot needs to improve, but if we play well we can upset them.

We have an advantage at QB. We’ve got multiple threats on offense which will test them. If we have time.

Biggest concerns are on the LOS - both sides. Beck hasn’t yet been touched and we don’t get much pressure on anyone. Can we adjust some people or schemes to get to him? Can we get better push from our enormous DL to help our LB and DEs have cleaner gap control? Can our safeties provide better support on deep balls?

Can our offense keep their DL thinking and misdirected, opening holes for the running game? Can we protect Mertz better?
This is the area where we are sooooooo close, but not quite there. We have been burned FAR less this year on deep balls where there is a LOT of separation between our DBs and the receiver... there have been a lot of phenomenal catches by the receiver with our DB practically draped on them, just can't separate the ball from the receiver....I hope that starts to shift for second half of the season as experience grows, but maybe not until next year. In previous years, there was just a wide open receiver behind everyone and no/bad tackling.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

Our oline vs their dline is our biggest weakness in this game. Poor Mertz is liable to be running for his life like he has all season.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Our oline vs their dline is our biggest weakness in this game. Poor Mertz is liable to be running for his life like he has all season.
How can staff scheme around it? Is there anything they can do, other than hope for the best?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
How can staff scheme around it? Is there anything they can do, other than hope for the best?
I'm feelin' a lonnnnng 10 days of "Private Hudson" gifs coming on!!!
naDB2Xh.gif

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Basically what we did vs. Ut and have done since. Misdirection, get them moving one way then go the other - reverses, jet sweeps, pitches, etc. If those work, they cause them to think and that split second is all Etienne or Wilson need.

Also, showing different alignments and personnel groupings can help. An off week gives time for those wrinkles.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think he said it was a first half high for Mertz, not for Florida.

We've had multiple guys throw for 300+ in the first half, and Mertz had somewhere around 235 at the half on Saturday if memory serves.

Seriously. I remember the days of LDR cooking teams and by halftime we’re putting in our backup

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator