Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Never have been. Never said so. Don’t assume.

you know what happens when you assume?

9bafdbd8-5871-4a95-9b02-da40be10d17a_text.gif

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is always hope.......

What is the problem with tomatoes?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Game 1 is 6 weeks from tomorrow. Anyone taking a look at Utah?

Looks like they return a talented and experienced core at QB, RB and TE. Their star WR, 2 LB and top OL from last year are gone. They look pretty young across their defense.

They had competition at punter and PK during the season, not strengths.

Thoughts?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I looked at their OL roster some weeks ago, trying to confirm one of Ox’s outlandish claims. They have decent size but are extremely young up front. Hopefully, we can take advantage of that youth with a packed, loud Swamp!

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
If you go back and look at Utah’s recruting, they haven’t broke the top 30 in years.
This would lead you to believe at least on paper Fl. Has an advantage in personal.
6 weeks we’ll know.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looked at them a little bit. If our Defense can hold their experienced offense in check, I believe AR and the O will be able to exploit their young D.

It is going to be their strength vs. I feel an new and improved experienced UF D

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
No matter the opponent, Utah is usually a tough out. I think we win, but it ain’t gonna be a cake walk.

I also look forward to the Utes getting a feel for some Florida heat and humidity.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Game 1 is 6 weeks from tomorrow. Anyone taking a look at Utah?

Looks like they return a talented and experienced core at QB, RB and TE. Their star WR, 2 LB and top OL from last year are gone. They look pretty young across their defense.

They had competition at punter and PK during the season, not strengths.

Thoughts?

I’ve had them scouted…lots returning and yet, lots lost.

We return more than our first two opponents and arguably have upgraded at some we lost like QB/RG. Also, should have better defensive scheme that alone will bring that side of the ball up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you consider the old theory that the defense usually has the advantage in early season games I'd look for a tight game being at home and all. The difference maker will be Richardson using his legs to give the team a lift on 3rd down. Keep their defense on the field and I think we can win it in the 2nd half by a couple of scores. Early season games also come down to mistakes....too many turnovers and penalties can kill momentum and give them a better chance of stealing one on our turf....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Their QB didn't have big numbers, but he's efficient and wins. The offense is well balanced, and this is a well coached team all around. Yes, they will have some new starters, but even the new guys have more experience in their system than our guys will have. I'd say our biggest disadvantage compared to them is experience.

There have been many games in college football where experience beats talent, so hopefully our home field advantage will neutralize that advantage like we think it will. Last year they had a rocky start and didn't play as well on the road. We'll see if that trend continues into this season.

A big advantage for us is that it will be a lot harder for them to prepare for us than it will be for us to prep for them. I think we'll win, but I also expect a close, hard fought game.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
They'll be favored on paper because they're returning more production; but breaking it down, it's going to be a close dogfight of a game.

Their OL is young and inexperienced. It's a home opener, night game in the Swamp--but first half will be hot, humid, and muggy. I go to Utah a lot--and summers there are hot, but dry. They won't have dealt with the humidity here before. Add in 300 lb DL slammimg into them every play...and mistakes will start to add up. All of our most recent high-profile games in the Swamp see tons of false-start penalties for the opposing team. LSU in 18; Auburn in 19; Bama last year, etc. A young, inexperienced OL in Game 1 in the Swamp? That's an advantage to us. A big one.

They lost a lot on their defense; and while AR is relatively inexperienced--we know he can handle getting into offensive shootouts (LSU last year). Playing at home will be easier than on the road--control our nerves and we should be able to move the ball.

Won't be an easy win, but I think we can.
The team will be motivated to start the year with a bang; the Swamp will be rocking since it's a new coach and new start--AND vs a high-quality opponent we don't normally get to play.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
They ...Utah will be favored...a good thing
It will be humid...a good thing
I think Napier has something to prove...a good thing
Our defense is no longer 3rd and Grantham...a great thing
AR is starting...a great thing.
Our OL has more experience...a good thing
Napier will go with the RB with the momentum...a good thing

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They'll be favored on paper because they're returning more production; but breaking it down, it's going to be a close dogfight of a game.

Their OL is young and inexperienced. It's a home opener, night game in the Swamp--but first half will be hot, humid, and muggy. I go to Utah a lot--and summers there are hot, but dry. They won't have dealt with the humidity here before. Add in 300 lb DL slammimg into them every play...and mistakes will start to add up. All of our most recent high-profile games in the Swamp see tons of false-start penalties for the opposing team. LSU in 18; Auburn in 19; Bama last year, etc. A young, inexperienced OL in Game 1 in the Swamp? That's an advantage to us. A big one.

They lost a lot on their defense; and while AR is relatively inexperienced--we know he can handle getting into offensive shootouts (LSU last year). Playing at home will be easier than on the road--control our nerves and we should be able to move the ball.

Won't be an easy win, but I think we can.
The team will be motivated to start the year with a bang; the Swamp will be rocking since it's a new coach and new start--AND vs a high-quality opponent we don't normally get to play.

You hit on it as well. Many if not all of those guys have never played in an environment as they will be coming in to. This will be HUGE.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
You hit on it as well. Many if not all of those guys have never played in an environment as they will be coming in to. This will be HUGE.

The most difficult stadium in the Pac-12 is Oregon...and none of the guys there have played there to my knowledge since the last time they were @Autzen was 2017.

Last year, all 3 of their regular season losses were on the road (at BYU, at San Diego State, and at Oregon State).

Playing in the Swamp vs SEC athletes in the regular season (in a night game, no less) is on order magnitude more difficult than anything they've faced.

That's not to say they wouldn't be up for the challenge, but it's different when it's for-real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.