Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All I know is that Mertz's TD/INT ratio at Wis was crap. If he's the one that makes the unforced errors that cost us the game it will be brutal on ALL forum boards. CBN has hung his hat on this cat that has the audacity to wear number 15. We'll see Thrusday night.....
I get that. I want to think that he’ll have a great turnaround. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. It will all depend on his confidence.

Keep in mind, he played on a bad Wisky team and passed on predictable down and distance situations.

He should be much better this year playing as a game manager. The question is how much better

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Keep in mind, he played on a bad Wisky team and passed on predictable down and distance situations.
I've shared this before AR and Mertz threw on 3rd and 8 plus about the same amount of times. Yes, some of that was on AR, some was on the Line not blocking well for the run on 1st and 2nd. Unless we see some changes in this offense and the OL is better than I think it will be, especially with how little the top 5 have practiced together, that part is not changing.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I've shared this before AR and Mertz threw on 3rd and 8 plus about the same amount of times. Yes, some of that was on AR, some was on the Line not blocking well for the run on 1st and 2nd. Unless we see some changes in this offense and the OL is better than I think it will be, especially with how little the top 5 have practiced together, that part is not changing.
Key point: The starters, as a unit, may be more talented this year, but they have very few practice snaps together.

So many unknowns.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Key point: The starters, as a unit, may be more talented this year, but they have very few practice snaps together.

So many unknowns.

I'm still not sold on the more talented for the starters. For the guards that is 2 First Team All-SEC performances this year, I don't see it happening but am happy for the people that do. When that happens, I'll admit I was wrong about the guards. For the tackles, Barber improving would be an upgrade and a former three star who is hyped simply because he was at Bama doesn't scream talent upgrade especially knowing Auburn committed such unspeakable acts in 2021 that Saban only gave him 20 snaps in the opener last year before leaving him to sit the remainder of the season. Hard to tell with Kingsley as he seems to have caught the injury bug and my question is if it will be a nagging one and if it is, how much does that impact his performance.

Now, the younger back ups definitely could be talent upgrades. Whether they are ready or not is the question.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm still not sold on the more talented for the starters. For the guards that is 2 First Team All-SEC performances this year, I don't see it happening but am happy for the people that do. When that happens, I'll admit I was wrong about the guards. For the tackles, Barber improving would be an upgrade and a former three star who is hyped simply because he was at Bama doesn't scream talent upgrade especially knowing Auburn committed such unspeakable acts in 2021 that Saban only gave him 20 snaps in the opener last year before leaving him to sit the remainder of the season. Hard to tell with Kingsley as he seems to have caught the injury bug and my question is if it will be a nagging one and if it is, how much does that impact his performance.

Now, the younger back ups definitely could be talent upgrades. Whether they are ready or not is the question.
Kj0BWb.gif

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I am trying to have faith, but I can have faith that guys who aren't talent upgrades can still get the job done because we will see coaching help them with things like a quick passing game that we didn't see last year.
Oh, we had quick passing...really quick passing....we just didn't have catching.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Oh, we had quick passing...really quick passing....we just didn't have catching.
No, we didn't have 0 or 1 step route call most of the time. The few we had were 3rd and 5+ and a few on 4th scattered throughout the year. We only saw 2 in the spring game. I'm saying we have them consistently to beat the blitz. If you don't punish blitzing, teams will continue to do it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m unsure about the OL, but we should be deeper, which is important because we looked like crap without Torrence. I think Barber is an upgrade, Leonard was already starting to take White’s reps some, so it’s really down to the RT and if Mazzuca can stay healthy. But I think we could have similar line play.

The big issue for us last year was AR’s inability to hit the check down and his unwillingness to run week in and week out.

You also have to wonder how much the lack of leadership affected the want-to on the OL.

I understand that it’s fashionable to hate on the Gators this year. But, we are acting as if a year under Sale and Stapleton will have zero development along the line.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hopefully he’ll get more opportunities to throw on 1st & 2nd down and off play action. I gather that Wisconsin didn’t do much of either.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Two things I want to see:

1. Completion of a simple screen pass.

2. Getting the hell off the field on third down. Something we haven’t done in nearly a damned decade.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Two things I want to see:

1. Completion of a simple screen pass.

2. Getting the hell off the field on third down. Something we haven’t done in nearly a damned decade.
What are you talking about? We got off the field last year on 3rd plenty of times. Sure, we sent on our special teams to punt but we got off the field on 3rd.

Wait, you're talking about defense aren't you?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.