Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Sitting here thinking what do I want to see in the Utah game

1. Win the Game , with Mertz playing a big role in doing that
2. if not a win at least a highly competitive game, something to wash the memory of our bowl game away and give hope to the future
3. A Fl. Defense that kicks some ass not one that chits the bed
4.Napier starts to prove in year 2 he was the right choice to get us back among the best

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Sitting here thinking what do I want to see in the Utah game

1. Win the Game , with Mertz playing a big role in doing that
2. if not a win at least a highly competitive game, something to wash the memory of our bowl game away and give hope to the future
3. A Fl. Defense that kicks some ass not one that chits the bed

4.Napier: starts to prove in year 2 he was the right choice to get us back among the best
Fixed it for you.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They should be a full TD favorite, at home.

I said this last year, when idiots in the media, and even a few rival fans, I know predicted a bloodbath for us. Basically everyone picked Florida to lose, but Vegas was anything but certain of it. With good reason. Considering you typically get three points for being at home, that line basically indicates that if the game were played in the Swamp, it would be a pick’em. It wasn’t then, nor is it now, a ringing endorsement of UF, but rather Vegas’ way of scoffing at a 14th ranking purely because of their conference and essentially saying they’d likely be outside the Top-25 too if they were staring at the same schedule UF is.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I said this last year, when idiots in the media, and even a few rival fans, I know predicted a bloodbath for us. Basically everyone picked Florida to lose, but Vegas was anything but certain of it. With good reason. Considering you typically get three points for being at home, that line basically indicates that if the game were played in the Swamp, it would be a pick’em. It wasn’t then, nor is it now, a ringing endorsement of UF, but rather Vegas’ way of scoffing at a 14th ranking purely because of their conference and essentially saying they’d likely be outside the Top-25 too if they were staring at the same schedule UF is.
3 points is normal for NFL home games - I think college games count for much higher.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
To the spread point, I wrote in the Truth thread that we "should" be favored due to their personnel losses. But, I don't think their personnel issues are fully priced in. Plus, if not for the (1) respect the national media has for Whittingham, and (2) the absolute lack of any belief on a national (or even regional) level for Napier and Mertz.

Last year we needed a couple miracle plays by AR (not many sustained drives) and an awful play by Utah/great one by Burney to hang on in a new coach's debut in the Swamp. So, I get it. But, Napier should be more steady this year and Mertz is better than the guy they are going to be playing, even if it is a banged up Rising who struggled to push the ball downfield on a good knee. We will play nearly 11 in the box if Rising starts. Their running QB concerns more the most.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You cannot help but have respect for Kyle Whittingham.
Here is a good recent interview.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

He’s a great coach. I’ve noticed them since he succeeded Meyer and wondered “what if?” we’d gone after him at some point. His sustained development of that program in that state is remarkable.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

He took over for Meyer and has done really well. His teams are always tough and disciplined. They also do a great job developing players.

If you go by team talent ratings, we should have mopped the floor with them last year. Same this year.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He took over for Meyer and done really well. His teams are always tough and disciplined. They also do a great job developing players.

If you go by team talent ratings, we should have mopped the floor with them last year. Same this year.
True. The video gave me pause. We are talented, probably more talented, but they can play and we are young.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
He’s a great coach. I’ve noticed them since he succeeded Meyer and wondered “what if?” we’d gone after him at some point. His sustained development of that program in that state is remarkable.
He isnt going anywhere. He has been courted many times and he shut all of it down real quick. He doesnt even use it to get himself raises.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He definitely has "it" for Utah. Not sure he would have been happy at UF. Seems to really enjoy living in Utah. Makes $4.5 a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator