Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Vanderbilt*** ETN likely out

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We beat a Div. 1 pushover with an effort that had good moments and bad. We probably head into Columbia a slim favorite. From there we could conceivably lose out and finish 5-7.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We beat a Div. 1 pushover with an effort that had good moments and bad. We probably head into Columbia a slim favorite. From there we could conceivably lose out and finish 5-7.
We could also conceivably win out. Weird post. You must have been hitting the sauce hard last night.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I agree this wasn’t some huge victory. We beat a team that we were suppose to beat….and by the score we should have. We haven’t always done this….so I will take it as a positive.

I differ on Mertz. He has done everything that’s been asked of him. He’s been tough as nails and efficient as hell. I put way more scrutiny on the pass protection. There just isn’t much time for downfield throws. There is time for midfield throws but much of that is on the scheme. Turn some of those screens into slants and outs.

Getting so many receivers involved is a step in the right direction. Tre Wilson and Boardingham make a huge difference to the offense.

One game at a time. South Carolina is a must win. I’d love to see visual evidence of a fired up team right from the start.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Boardingham is finally showing what the hype is about. It’s Vandy, but he made some good plays with sure catches and tough runs.

Mertz throws really well on the move. He throws like ass in the pocket. I don’t remember a qb who showed such contrast where it was his throws on the move that were more accurate. With our inconsistent OL, we should scheme a lot more moving pocket type plays.
He showed the same thing at his prior school. If he has no confidence in the line, he sucks in the pocket. Even when the line protects, he thinks they aren't. Once he escapes or rolls, he's not worried about the sack and concentrates on the throw.

He did have a couple of games where he stood in the pocket confidently... and he hit the long balls (Iowa).

Next year, if we get an OL transfer or two, maybe things will change for the better.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He did have a couple of games where he stood in the pocket confidently... and he hit the long balls (Iowa).
He's missed 4 long throws that would have likely been TD's in the last 2 weeks that I can remember. It's hard to find fault with his overall numbers, effort and toughness but damn we really need those kind of plays to build off of and get some of the bodies out of the box. The other problem with rolling out of the pocket all of the time is it generally takes half of the field way from spreading out our receivers.

I hate to give props to the Dwags but their passing game is designed masterfully for a guy who can set his feet and throw from the pocket.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He's missed 4 long throws that would have likely been TD's in the last 2 weeks that I can remember. It's hard to find fault with his overall numbers, effort and toughness but damn we really need those kind of plays to build off of and get some of the bodies out of the box.
At least we're putting it on tape that we will take the shots.

Maybe it will click for him on the long balls. It's between the ears.

BNs offense requires the threat of the long ball (tape from La)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
At least we're putting it on tape that we will take the shots.

Maybe it will click for him on the long balls. It's between the ears.

BNs offense requires the threat of the long ball (tape from La)
This is also another problem for our offense on the road. You need a quick score or 2 to keep the crowd noise from affecting the oline with the procedure penalties/communicating plays at the los which is very demanding on a unsettled oline trying to grind out sustained drives down the field on every possession.

I'm also curious about our run blocking schemes. It seems our backs either hit a seam or get dropped for a loss 98% of the time....we never seem to have a sustained push or surge which our backs run behind then push forward or bounce...everything seems to hinge on one cut in a crease.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question because I couldn't really watch the game due to some obligations, did we have our starters in during the 4th quarter?

I saw Brown get some reps when Mertz took a hit but I couldn't really get to see much after the half

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question because I couldn't really watch the game due to some obligations, did we have our starters in during the 4th quarter?

I saw Brown get some reps when Mertz took a hit but I couldn't really get to see much after the half
Brown got in the last series and handed the ball off. I think he hit one pass to a back up WR.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This is also another problem for our offense on the road. You need a quick score or 2 to keep the crowd noise from affecting the oline with the procedure penalties/communicating plays at the los which is very demanding on a unsettled oline trying to grind out sustained drives down the field on every possession.

I'm also curious about our run blocking schemes. It seems our backs either hit a seam or get dropped for a loss 98% of the time....we never seem to have a sustained push or surge which our backs run behind then push forward or bounce...everything seems to hinge on one cut in a crease.
The offense is ugly right now. The RB needs to read and react . Theres not a specific hole to hit. I think that why ETN is a better fit (right now). He hits the crease fast.

The Oline is just so inconsistent it's hard to tell if the blocking schemes are bad or not. We aren't set up to do the traditional three yards and a cloud of dust.

We can't line up and run it down there throats. It's not what I would consider power football.

In BNs scheme, I also think the QB had to be a threat to run, which spreads out the DL more. Mertz isn't scaring anybody.

I don't think any of our questions will be answered on offense this year.

No point in stressing about it.

Thank goodness the defense is getting better.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Napier runs such a protective offense that it makes reads and reaction easier for defenses. I hope he's realizing his limitations. If you run a mediocre scoring offense, you have to have a reliable, stout defense and excellent STs. He should know that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Oline is just so inconsistent it's hard to tell if the blocking schemes are bad or not. We aren't set up to do the traditional three yards and a cloud of dust.

We can't line up and run it down there throats. It's not what I would consider power football.
Yeah I'm not really speaking of power football so much as a more hat on hat on 3rd and 1-2yards....when our linemen vacate, the opposing defense shoots that gap and that's why our 3rd down conversion percentage is in the sh!tter. It is a decent concept for running on 1st or 2nd down when the numbers are better but would like to see us use a different look in short yardage...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I'm not really speaking of power football so much as a more hat on hat on 3rd and 1-2yards....when our linemen vacate, the opposing defense shoots that gap and that's why our 3rd down conversion percentage is in the sh!tter. It is a decent concept for running on 1st or 2nd down when the numbers are better but would like to see us use a different look in short yardage...

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He's missed 4 long throws that would have likely been TD's in the last 2 weeks that I can remember. It's hard to find fault with his overall numbers, effort and toughness but damn we really need those kind of plays to build off of and get some of the bodies out of the box. The other problem with rolling out of the pocket all of the time is it generally takes half of the field way from spreading out our receivers.
Exactly. Small sample but it appears his timing is not there. If he could make the long throws, wouldn't staff call those plays? Wish he could or would make longer passes but from what we have seen, I have to give staff the BOD. OTOH, instead of a missed long throw maybe there are some plays that exist where we hit the receiver in stride at 15-20 yards. Is that in our playbook?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well, what would the excuses be? Staff's systems, training, etc have to account for something.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'd just give my right nut for an intermediate passing game. The relentless 2-yard passes are frustrating as hell. I just can't believe we would be doing that over and over and over if we actually had a good QB. Mertz has a low ceiling, and we are bumping up against it. I think the goal is just to keep him from turning it over.

I think LongTooth is right, he's better on the run. So roll his ass out on every passing play, whatever it takes.

This UF team has been hideous on the road the last two years, we have to get out of that funk. PLEASE coaches don't let them start this next game like they just got out of bed 5 minutes earlier.
Billy said something in the presser this morning about "going to be early Wednesday night" and getting to SC sooner on Thursday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator