***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs. Vanderbilt***

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We have played poorly overall, but this is one of the most highly biased called game I can remember. If that is targeting, football does not exist. He was clearly going to tackle our runner (or at least trying) and was blocked in the chest. So his helmet came off. Hopefully second half adjustments and less bias will result in a Gator Victory. Of course Vandy is never an easy game as I would want it to be. Glad I did not go this year, it is cold, and we are playing like we want to lose.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Oh vey. What a mess. Grantham showing his ass once again.

No. There was a Vandy coach talking smack and THEN Grantham gets involved. When he does, Mason begins talking smack, and when he does DM is yelling at the refs to get them off the field and on their side.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great call by Mullen to get the ball to Perine to set up that last score.

Franks has a couple of bad plays but overall playing ok. 13-20 186 at the half.

RB’s 25 carries for 123 yards...5 ypc.

Nice mixture by Mullen. 2 mistakes had big impact.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
You bitches need to stop the constant belly aching. **** even our national championship teams have struggled against teams like Vandy or Mississippi and I had a feeling today would be no different. If we can find a way to band together and win this one it will be a good thing for the long haul. Quit over reacting to every bad play. Jesus.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
So are they calling him a defenseless player and that’s why it was called? Clearly a shoulder to chest hit

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Wait a minute, positive posts are NOT allowed on this thread! At least not yet. We’ll give all glory to the team and play calling after the game. Patting ourselves on the back is a 15-yard penalty! :lol:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yup. He did. I don’t see how anyone calls that targeting. A difficult hit to watch, but nothing wrong with the hit.

Unfortunately reading the idiotic rule almost any block in that situation could or even should be a foul under the actual rule.

Hang on. Read the NCAA’s targeting rule.

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14):

• A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession.
  • A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first
Also, a new piece of language added to Note 2 in 2018: “When in question, a player is defenseless.”

Things that don’t factor into the decision to call a targeting foul, according to the rulebook, include:
  • how superhumanly tough the television viewer thinks football players should aspire to be,
  • how much the fan in the stands enjoyed football’s previously higher levels of violence,
  • the TV commentator's worries that this is all becoming flag football,
  • the coach's conclusion that avoiding a targeting hit would require a player to approach a play awkwardly,
  • or the reader's assumption that the writer of this article never Played The Game.
Football changes. Football will survive, or it won’t. That goes for all of us.
All of this is an attempt to legislate excessive violence out of a sport founded on it 150 years ago, but if this is the game we’re going to watch, we might as well know what the rules say.

And if this is the game we’re going to hope remains with us three decades from now, we’re going to have to let it evolve. "When in question, it is a foul," the rule says. We have to err on the side of player safety, and if that requires rules even more game-changing than targeting (it surely does), then so be it.

Note the blind side block which this might be. That means you can't block on returns.

Now it was not above the shoulders, it was clearly in the chest.

I did not notice if he launched or otherwise increased the strength.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
So are they calling him a defenseless player and that’s why it was called? Clearly a shoulder to chest hit

I still thought the rule is defenseless player AND launching, leading with the helmet, or helmet to helmet.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I agree. I just can't understand how Cousin Eddie can sequence 6 or 8 plays together and then just fall off his chair and not assess the risk/reward on some plays. That INT should have been a straight run play and no RPO. Can't give Franks that decision in that field position. High risk/little reward. Even if it is complete, way too dangerous there. The swing to Perine was very low risk, great call, turned into high reward. Thought he might go vertical there but he felt something and made a very good call. The shooting yourself in the foot has always been my complaint with him even while at MSU. I am always assessing risk/reward vs. game situation.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
You *****es need to stop the constant belly aching. **** even our national championship teams have struggled against teams like Vandy or Mississippi and I had a feeling today would be no different. If we can find a way to band together and win this one it will be a good thing for the long haul. Quit over reacting to every bad play. Jesus.

This is a game thread. That's what game threads are for. Quit over reacting to people's reactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.