I dont believe I've ever had any lamb but that looks pretty good
Milk fed is really tender.

lamb-daffodils.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray's gonna die young with a heart attack but damn that stuff looks good.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n259425 said:
I dont believe I've ever had any lamb but that looks pretty good
Dude, you ever eat a gyro? If so, there should have been some lamb in it. Sometimes it's a lamb/beef mix. Lamb is super tasty because it has a high fat content (~18%). Fat tastes good. I recommend trying some lamb ribs on the grill (they're pretty easy to cook).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n259481 said:
Dude, you ever eat a gyro? If so, there should have been some lamb in it. Sometimes it's a lamb/beef mix. Lamb is super tasty because it has a high fat content (~18%). Fat tastes good. I recommend trying some lamb ribs on the grill (they're pretty easy to cook).
Don't see alot of lamb meat where I'm at. If I see a rack I'll try it .

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
NVGator;n259468 said:
Ray's gonna die young with a heart attack but damn that stuff looks good.
There are worse ways to go. Gotta keep this belly happy.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
heavychevy;n259222 said:
Solid grub there Ray! Do you let your shorties go on a rack all the way or do you throw them in a pot and braise them after a couple hours in smoke?
All the way on the smoker. Once the ends start to shrink back a little I wrap them, spraying them down generously with a water, soy, and Worcestershire mixture.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I've never been able to get them tender enough with out a few hours in beer and veggies. Just S&P rub? Do you foil or butcher paper? That's one thing I haven't tried yet is a butcher paper wrap but it's quite popular on the BBQ forums especially for brisket.

I'm already counting the days till UF plays Michigan in Texas to make a stop at Franklins on the way. We're planning to make it a couple week trip and haul the camper out there. Franklins and Blacks are first stops once we hit the Texas line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Aaron speaks the truth man. I am also making plans for that game and plan to include the same stop. I have done brisket with the butcher paper, but it is probably not something I would do for short ribs. And yes, coarse pepper and kosher salt only. I find there is a window on the short ribs between the pullback from the bone and raising that temp enough to ensure they are fully cooked before shrinking too much. Foil helps you reach that temp a little quicker and if you give the ribs a good little bath inside that foil, you keep the muscle a little looser and they won't shrink up as much. As far as the paper vs foil on the brisket, I really don't have a huge preference. I let mine go pretty far before either are introduced, so I honestly don't get a measurable difference. Foil gets it there a tad quicker and in theory the butcher paper should make it a little more tender, but I have my process down to where even in foil it isn't a dried out brisket. I do things a lot like Aaron, but have some subtle differences that make it my own. We are of the same train of thought though; keep it simple, perfect the process, and use quality meat. You do that and figure out ways to get past the crux every different cut and type presents, and you and everyone you cook for will be amazed.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gunna be up all night so I figured I'd throw some pics up. Got two butts (:moon3:). First one is in my typical style, the second just a few additions for some spice.
20150816_005131_zpsitq5td2g.jpg

20150816_014426_zpsjjzg9yjn.jpg

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Attachments

• conv_4117.jpeg
    conv_4117.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 71

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm having trouble getting the before picture

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Nice....hard to beat some rubbed & smoked St. Louie's. I've been known to eat a couple of slabs myself on fall afternoons while swilling golden sodas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.