OFFICIAL: Jim McElwain is new UF football coach

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
gatormandan;n125549 said:
Shocking revelation I know...

Even more shocking that such an opinion is coming from you. Always kind of got the impression you were somewhat on the fence about who our next QB should be.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n125594 said:
I don't think he will use Jeff. Jeff may look great in practice, but there is more game film on him now. His 2012 season he was a game manager and did a good job at that and 2013 he got hurt in the 3rd game so there wasn't much to look at... I think after last year there is enough film to show that Jeff is not a gamer. I'd be shocked if Jeff is here next year. I hope he gets to go somewhere and play and enjoy himself.

This is correct. There were also some good moments for Jeff back in 2012. The A&M, ut and fsu games in particular were solid performances to offset some of the negative. Outside of a few passes in the Uk and Lsu games, there really isn't anything that indicates he is suited to play QB at this level. I also think JM has a better handle on things, and more confidence in himself than Weis and WM did with the JB situation. I don't see him wanting to start the mentally destroyed Sr over one of the younger guys that are clearly going to be his guys moving forward.

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
Driskel has the deer-in-headlights look during the game. Dude just doesn't have what it takes to lead us in the SEC. If Mac thinks he can miraculously change him during one off season, then he's most likely as stubborn as the last guy in charge.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
soflagator;n125611 said:
Even more shocking that such an opinion is coming from you. Always kind of got the impression you were somewhat on the fence about who our next QB should be.

Yea, its pretty confusing.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
soflagator;n125613 said:
This is correct. There were also some good moments for Jeff back in 2012. The A&M, ut and fsu games in particular were solid performances to offset some of the negative. Outside of a few passes in the Uk and Lsu games, there really isn't anything that indicates he is suited to play QB at this level. I also think JM has a better handle on things, and more confidence in himself than Weis and WM did with the JB situation. I don't see him wanting to start the mentally destroyed Sr over one of the younger guys that are clearly going to be his guys moving forward.

Now would be a really good time for him to pursue that baseball career.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Originally posted by Gator Fever View Post
Auden Tate (WR) Tampa Wharton
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

"He was the OC for Bama and he led a great offense, so I think it helps a lot with that. But I also think he's a running the ball coach."

I hope most receivers aren't thinking that.

He's an F$U recruit so he's got a bad brain. Don't read too much into it.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
First off, I am fired up about the hire. No, it may not be splashy, and I'm more than okay with that. Here's why: the last 2 "somewhat splashy" hires have been emotional head cases on opposite ends of the spectrum. Meyer won largely by catching lightning in a bottle with Tim,Percy and a host of others in a great recruiting effort. Upon that realization he couldn't duplicate that effort he abruptly departed stage left. And then didn't. And then did again.
Then here comes the loud angry Muschamp, who was apparently to dumb to realize what he didn't have, or too inept to go get it. He made a fool of himself on the sideline, the press room, and I'm guessing in the recruit's living room as well.
I don't think we'll see any of that with Coach McElwain. What I do think we'll see is more of a "plan your work then work your plan" approach that is desperately needed here. I can't see him cursing refs during and fans after a game. My guess is that you won't hear him being an excuse factory like what we've been accustomed to, and more than likely because he won't need to be. He just strikes me as balanced mentally, and by all means that is what we need, regardless of what we want.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Oh I fully expect Mac to give the refs hell every now and then, the only coach I can think of that I dont recall ever doing that is Tony Dungy. I do think he'll be much cooler under pressure though and wont embarrass himself out there.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112;n125972 said:
Oh I fully expect Mac to give the refs hell every now and then, the only coach I can think of that I dont recall ever doing that is Tony Dungy. I do think he'll be much cooler under pressure though and wont embarrass himself out there.

I don't care if he yells at them or whips it out and whizzes on them, as long as he wins.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Driskel somehow blossomed under Mac and absolutely lived up to his recruiting ranking?

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n125984 said:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Driskel somehow blossomed under Mac and absolutely lived up to his recruiting ranking?

No. :kick:

That'll be the fifth coaching career destroyed, behind Weis, Pease, Roper and Muschamp.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n125984 said:

Forget the stars... the sun has set on that pipe dream. I could enjoy a comeback to serviceable contributor to wins coming in from the bench. Starter, I hope not. Helper with the team mojo while the starter takes a blow or walks off a ding, I'd be happy for him. Starter, I really hope not. Time for the young guns from the coral to be offered such an opportunity to make lore or future careers. Just saying.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I would rather we convert him into a TE. Hell its got to be better than the converted DE's we have now.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Swamp Queen;n126031 said:
Can we get back to talking about our new coach?

Right.

Up thread there were questions about what kind of offense he would run. If you read up on him and look at each stop he's made he devises the offense around the talent not the other way around. THAT is the guy I wanted. This is why I feel so optimistic about him. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I feel pretty good this is a great hire for us.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n126031 said:
Can we get back to talking about our new coach?

I'm happy Head Coach credentials have walked into the facility. I haven't listened to him yet but hope he has that connect with the fans thing about him. Long, hot summer here we come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator