Gator Basketball ***Official Offseason Thread BBALL*** Top 50 Overall Guard Alex Lloyd Commits

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I do wonder if we’re trying to use Martin as a PG and if we promised him that role since that’s his route to the NBA.

I’d feel a lot better if we snagged another legitimate PG, but if we do, does that mean we aren’t snagging a wing with size since we only have 1 spot left?

If we do get a PG I wouldn’t hate going heavy on a 3 guard lineup (PG-Clayton-Martin). Martin is a solid rebounder for his size and an elite defender so I think he could play the 3 even at 6’-2”…?
From a few answers on their X feed, Florida Basketball Hour says it looks like we are going with a committee approach. I think that will be disastrous. They say they think it can be done.

Lucius

Jan 25, 2023
I think the 2 options going forward now are to either get a PG and make Alijah Martin the starting SF with Will Richard as backup at SG/SF (Martin's 5.9 REB/30mins is competitive with most SFs), or get a bigger more traditional SF who can also be a third ball handler.

The pieces we have need to be aligned for the best fit as a team. Max Shulga would be a great option if going the PG route. Excellent shooting percentages and PPP as on-ball handler with a 2:1 AST:TO ratio. Martin would be the 3 and would need to switch off with Shulga to cover taller SFs or substituted for Haugh.

If going the traditional SF route, I like Earl Timberlake and Hasan-Abdul Hakim.

Timberlake at 6'6 220 is a better rim scorer, elite rebounder and has a 2:1 AST:TO ratio but struggles with outside shooting.

Hakim at 6'8 206 is a better shooter, but doesn't rebound as well and has more TOs, though a higher assist rate of total team production.

Any of these 3 options would be good bets going forward IMO.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From a few answers on their X feed, Florida Basketball Hour says it looks like we are going with a committee approach. I think that will be disastrous. They say they think it can be done.
Idk if we're done. Our bench for perimeter players consist of Aberdeen, Kublicus and a freshmen. Surely they'd wanna be deeper than that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And the dumper is dumping ^

:lol:
Being rational is the new dumper these days. If you don't suck napes balls dry and parrot the UAA pushed narrative about any number of things like how we don't need no stinking point guard, you're just a hater.

I don't suck c0ck so guilty as charged. :proud:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Idk if we're done. Our bench for perimeter players consist of Aberdeen, Kublicus and a freshmen. Surely they'd wanna be deeper than that.
They mean done as in getting a PG to start. Most likely we get a backup guard, but the coaches feel with the ball handlers we have we should be pretty set. Won't rule our a PG to be added, but not the highest priority at the moment

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Being rational is the new dumper these days. If you don't suck napes balls dry and parrot the UAA pushed narrative about any number of things like how we don't need no stinking point guard, you're just a hater.

I don't suck c0ck so guilty as charged. :proud:

Yep Reaction GIF

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
They mean done as in getting a PG to start. Most likely we get a backup guard, but the coaches feel with the ball handlers we have we should be pretty set. Won't rule our a PG to be added, but not the highest priority at the moment

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was skeptical of this plan. We know Clayton can’t be trusted as a primary ball handler so that leaves Aberdeen and Martin….idk man

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was skeptical of this plan. We know Clayton can’t be trusted as a primary ball handler so that leaves Aberdeen and Martin….idk man
Same here. I don't like the plan at all. I went from positive about next season to skeptical. We'll see.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We have been looking at 3 star Lorenzo Cason. He has been surging lately. We passed on him and he decided to commit to Michigan. It looks like the staff is being patient with our last 2 scholarships. I'm still hoping for a PG. And, there are still some quality PGs out there.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I love picking up Martin as a SG: he's an instant upgrade defensively and at least as capable a scorer as Pullin or Kugel ever were. Problem is--it's not exactly the same thing as being an elite ball handler/distributer and that's something we're sorely lacking at the moment.

Really do think we need to grab someone who can reliably bring the ball up the floor and/or beat the press.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Same here. I don't like the plan at all. I went from positive about next season to skeptical. We'll see.
My biggest concern is that I'm not sure about the fit. We added 2 bigs that are rim runner types not necessarily guys that can create any offense. So we're gonna have a really young front court and no real distributor.

That being said. Martin does have a nice handle and Golden's pg in sanfran was more of scoring guard aswell. They won alot of games with a smaller backcourt that consisted of 2 shoot 1st guards

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator