Operating From The Gun

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, let's put aside the obvious disdain for Muschamp and Driskel and someone help me understand something:

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the way we run plays out of the gun? Every week I get a chance to watch a few games before or after we play and I've been studying the way other Spread Offenses operate. Auburn, Mississippi State, Baylor, TCU, Oregon, Clemson, Texas A&M, etc...all these teams seem so smooth in the way they run their plays. And I don't just mean in the numbers they put up or their tempo...everything they do seems to be executed way faster after the ball is snapped. In the last few years, I thought our offensive troubles may be mostly attributed to poor O-line play. But, is that really the issue?

For example, look at the way we've run the ball. From catching the snap from the center, to handing the ball off to the back, to getting off our blocks, to finding a hole in the defense, everything seems a little slower than average. Compared to other teams around the country, why does it feel like we have the slowest developing running plays ever. Even our zone read plays seem like they take longer than they should. Is this a schematic issue? Do guys just not know what they're doing? Some will argue that teams will stack the box against us (which makes it hard for any team to consistently be effective), but even when we have favorable numbers to run the ball, the play usually takes so long to develop. A guy like Kelvin Taylor should be a beast in our system, but he struggles. Something just seems wonky and I don't know if it's completely on the O-line.

Besides, the obvious issue of Driskel, will the offense operate any smoother with the next QB? Driskel is obviously an awkward, rigid QB, but are our problems deeper than just the starting QB and the incompetent head coach? I could be overanalyzing this, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Maybe someone more knowledgable on the subject can elaborate.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see this as a Driskel problem. Just look at how the offense runs when Harris has been in there. Guys are flying around and having fun. When Driskel is in there everyone is going through the motions.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm...you might be right. Even when we ran more of a pro-style offense, Driskel took way too long to hand the ball off to our backs. It was like he was taking extra steps to get to them or something. There's something very funky about the center to QB to RB exchange. I have no doubt he'll be a better passer, but I hope Harris is more efficient in that regard.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
8802Gator;n77641 said:
I see this as a Driskel problem. Just look at how the offense runs when Harris has been in there. Guys are flying around and having fun. When Driskel is in there everyone is going through the motions.

The Driskel situation reminds me of what was going on here in Jacksonville with Chad Henne as the starter. It was clear things were just stale and needed life. Treon brings new life.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This should be titled "Operating With A Gun"...the kind that shoots yourself in the foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.