PastyStoole's Sh!ts and Feces: UF vs LSU

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why run the ball at all? Why not pass every play? In fact why not throw the deep ball every play since anything else is just a waste of time?

Our running game was pretty effective though three quarters, and without it we might have lost by 4 or 5 touchdowns. .
Im not even sure you have any connection to reality but Im going to answer anyway. Our running game was sporadic, at best. When our offense faltered, it was because of the running game getting stuffed.

No one anywhere suggests throwing all the time. Even SOS didn't throw all the time, he passed to set up the run, then killed them with draw plays while they were backpedaling bc of the threat of the pass.

Exactly like LSU did to us.

I am particularly offended by the poor playcalling of telegraphing when we are going to run either by formation or by substitution (EJ at QB). It is just dumb, lazy playcalling.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Im not even sure you have any connection to reality but Im going to answer anyway. Our running game was sporadic, at best. When our offense faltered, it was because of the running game getting stuffed.

No one anywhere suggests throwing all the time. Even SOS didn't throw all the time, he passed to set up the run, then killed them with draw plays while they were backpedaling bc of the threat of the pass.

I am particularly offended by the poor playcalling of telegraphing when we are going to run either by formation or by substitution (EJ at QB). It is just dumb, lazy playcalling.
So on the 20 running plays we ran successfully it was smart play calling but on the 20 plays we didn't it was dumb?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agree that while watching the game, enthusiasm flowing, then the insertion of EJ was a deflation. From then on, the play-calling seemed to be based on begging for luck. In a battle of chess-match analytics, you do not throw your fate over to poke & hope luck.? For your coaches to start relying on plays to succeed due to their unlikelihood, their high-surprise, well that must be demoralizing to your players.?? Those frequent outcome failures deflate confidence. Time to re-inflate for USCe.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So on the 20 running plays we ran successfully it was smart play calling but on the 20 plays we didn't it was dumb?
Not to mention that many plays are called to set up other plays later in the game. I’m sure some of the unsuccessful runs were meant to give the defense a pattern we could exploit later.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It’s great to argue the running game and all but a win was only gonna happen with pressure on Burrow. Playing a red-hot passer it was the only way, and once Greenard and Zuniga went down if we played until Sunday I’m not sure they would have punted again.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018

91832451-2836-4AD0-9BB9-2C2442C6C7F5.jpeg

On the other hand I have no trouble admitting that you are pretty learned about football, pretty familiar with the issues faced by this team and staff, and that when you are not trolling your opinion should be considered carefully.

That doesn’t make you right right now, though it does call into question the extent to which you are currently trolling.

It’s perfectly clear that the running game was effective until the second half of the third quarter. It’s not necessary to go to great lengths to prove it as it is plain as day in the play by play, and in the commentary of everyone’s hero Kirk Herbstreit when he pointed out that we had success when we stayed ahead of the chains. The reasons why this is so are obvious, and are best summarized as keeping the defense honest. As that failed, we failed. LSU is simply too athletic to throw into their secondary every play. What happened when we moved in that direction in desperation was utterly predictable.

Anyway, kudos to your football acumen, yet given your stature as an egotistical solipsist and somewhat singular species of sh!tbird, I can’t truly say that I have much use for you.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Agree that while watching the game, enthusiasm flowing, then the insertion of EJ was a deflation. From then on, the play-calling seemed to be based on begging for luck. In a battle of chess-match analytics, you do not throw your fate over to poke & hope luck.? For your coaches to start relying on plays to succeed due to their unlikelihood, their high-surprise, well that must be demoralizing to your players.?? Those frequent outcome failures deflate confidence. Time to re-inflate for USCe.

You can’t pass if you can’t run, at least in the Southeastern Conference. It really is that simple. Once they stuffed EJ’s series and the rest of our running game we were living on borrowed time.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
I think there’s a pretty good compare and contrast with this game in the past to suggest how this game could have played out if called differently: the Travis Stephens November nightmare in the swamp. Think about how many three and outs we had in the second half, to go along with the death of a thousand cuts John Hoke bend until you break defensive stands.

If you think about it, Mullen’s ability to keep us ahead of the chains and hold the ball into the second half of the third quarter and avoid getting behind was pretty remarkable. We almost played and called a perfect offensive game to make it happen. What we needed was another stop or a turnover to change things. If we had gotten one and been able to go to two scores on LSU it would have put Burrow and his OC under pressure, perhaps forcing more mistakes.

As it was I can’t think of a single significant mistake made by Burrow. Not having a rush that could get home either with or without help was probably decisive. I don’t even fault tackling that much as we were playing desperate on defense much of the game, going for knockout blows to try to find an edge. I didn’t see any quit out there all the way to the end though, and I find that at least to be encouraging.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why run the ball at all? Why not pass every play? In fact why not throw the deep ball every play since anything else is just a waste of time?

Our running game was pretty effective though three quarters, and without it we might have lost by 4 or 5 touchdowns.
Or we might have WON by 4 or 5 touchdowns. This Gator team needs to completely abandon the run. Completely.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
Or we might have WON by 4 or 5 touchdowns. This Gator team needs to completely abandon the run. Completely.

So you believe, in effect, that if LSU could pin its ears back and come over and over for the not so mobile and recently gimpy Trask, while he threw into coverage time and again, that it wouldn’t have inevitably led to even more interceptions, fumbles, and a cascade of bad consequences for the team, not to mention Trask’s confidence going forward? No, I can’t second guess our strategy and coaching to that extent. It just isn’t realistic, and it doesn’t take account of LSU’s athleticism.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So you believe, in effect, that if LSU could pin its ears back and come over and over for the not so mobile and recently gimpy Trask, while he threw into coverage time and again, that it wouldn’t have inevitably led to even more interceptions, fumbles, and a cascade of bad consequences for the team, not to mention Trask’s confidence going forward? No, I can’t second guess our strategy and coaching to that extent. It just isn’t realistic, and it doesn’t take account of LSU’s athleticism.
It think UF scores 84 points if they throw every down in that game. 12 touchdowns.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
2) Kyle Trask is the real deal. He has got the kind of grit, resilience, and character that prove that the summers he spent in conversion therapy camp at the behest of his evangelical preacher father have paid off. This dude is a gamer if there ever was one. We are so much better off with him under center than Feleipe Franks. Every time I thought we were out of it, he stepped up and marched the team down the field. We lost, but it certainly wasn't his fault.
:exactly:
Dan Mullen is too cute for his own good. There is nothing particularly impressive or intimidating about LSUs defense, they were tiring, we were moving the ball against them, we have a QB who is very good in my opinion. As much as I like Emory Jones, there is no reason to repeatedly bring him in to run the wildcat,
Dan explained that somewhere. That Kyle's knee made him give Emory extra snaps in practice and he felt they needed that
at Red Stick.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Not to mention that many plays are called to set up other plays later in the game. I’m sure some of the unsuccessful runs were meant to give the defense a pattern we could exploit later.
:exactly: Gretzky played hockey like that........he could see three plays ahead

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
91832451-2836-4ad0-9bb9-2c2442c6c7f5-jpeg.17314
Best meme ever.............I gotta save this.........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That meme is homophobic.
/lefties
I knew that but the message transcended the context of the movie...........great movie that it was.........i get the feeling you would like to
send a few out the window like Longshanks did...............;)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

There were whispers from the locker room post game that we've informed Perine to just start preparing for the draft because we're not running anymore. Pierce is secretly throwing out feelers in the portal, using the alias "Bainbridge". Davis is staying but has been relegated to returning punts and the hands team.

It's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.