Pat Dooley takes a shot at you guys

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In his column he pondered what would pizzz some of you off more. Champ winning the SEC EAST title or Grier winning the Heisman this year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So he mentioned specific posters by name? No reason to link the article, I would never read it. You may be the only one who does.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He was referencing the comment he made on his WRUF show yesterday.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley should stick to his stories with made up sources that end up being wrong half the time. You would think if he wanted to act like he had inside info he could at least stick to stuff he could be right on more than 50% of the time by guessing.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He pondered? Doubt it, as that would actually require effort on his part.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley was around even when I was at UF. I largely ignored him even then.

Was he ever competent? Did he once have sources and actual insight? He obviously, astonishingly, doesnt know much about the game but that I guess seems to have been common for that era when the qualifications seemed to be that you were comfortable getting drunk at any sort of sporting event (Verne Lundquist types). However I do wonder if he got lazy in his old age and if he was once good at his job. Anyone have opinions?

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Was he ever competent? Did he once have sources and actual insight? He obviously, astonishingly, doesnt know much about the game but that I guess seems to have been common for that era when the qualifications seemed to be that you were comfortable getting drunk at any sort of sporting event (Verne Lundquist types). However I do wonder if he got lazy in his old age and if he was once good at his job. Anyone have opinions?

I think he and Spurrier had a good relationship (for some reason Spurrier liked him). So, he was solid during the Spurrier era....it went to sh*t after that though....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier and Hall he had good relationships with, since he has been living on his questionable reputation.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Fat Drooley sucks...but I'll play along. I couldn't care less about what Will Grier does (unless WV somehow ends up playing the Gators), but I hope Chump loses 100-0 every game he coaches for the rest of his life.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Pat has been poor for a long time, neither of these things are probable to occur. It is the off season and as that it is something different to fill up space. Perhaps someone should post the question here, but add the usual option for none of the above.

I don't care about Will unless we play him, then I want him sacked, intercepted, and defeated.

Champ I have my normal rooting rules to apply to, if it benefits the Gators I like it. Otherwise he also means nothing to me.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He'd still end up getting a head coaching job offer from somebody. :facepalm:

I've said this several times:

Will Muschamp, Lane Kiffin, and Charlie Weis need to co-write a book on how to interview/BS your way into a 7 figure job!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Original... is NOT Pat Dooley.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

When Dooley was a cub reporter at the Sun, he protégéd under Jack Hairston, who was the Sports Editor when I was in school at UF. Hairston was far and away the worst sports editor I've witnessed in my half-century walking this earth. Hairston was lazy, formulaic and trite, brutally mundane and redundant, and had, for years, developed a sports page that was almost unreadable. He knew he was the only game in town. There was no internet then, and the Gatorbait tabloid was still in its infancy, publishing only sporadically. So, Hairston had the easiest job in the industry. You HAD to read his crappy sports section, which was basically pablum fed to his second-rate reporters by the UF SID. The atmosphere of not having a bonafide Fourth Estate in Gainesville had an enabling affect. Charlie Pell and a group of awful boosters were able to run roughshod over rules and ethics without fear of any local investigation, and the resulting sanctions devastated our football program for almost a decade.

Hairston was comfy in his decades-held job and viewed his fiefdom as a small town community newspaper with cozy relationships that made his job easy instead of as an important part of a growing city and college sports community facing serious modern issues. Meanwhile, the understaffed and inexperienced writers at the Alligator were doing all the heavy lifting. The vast number of major stories that broke during those times came from the Alligator or from papers around the state, all while the Sun just kept printing press releases and raking in the print ad revenue. It was from this environment that Pat Dooley got his mentoring. Dooley's expectations were rooted in a job and career meant for the lazy. He would be a fat and happy eater of SID "news," he reckoned, and that suited him just fine.

Dooley did become fat, but it's clear the road his career took him down has made him far from happy. His bitterness toward his readers and former readers is present in nearly every passage he types. The declining readership and 1950s journalistic style have made him a laughing-stock and an easy target for internet message boards like ours. Pat Dooley is nothing more than a punch line at this point; a sad visage in an outdated Hawaiian shirt with a 1980s haircut, trying to prop up a dying sports page in a dying industry in a town and era that have completely passed him by.

Last edited:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
In spite of the way Dooley brags about texting with the coaches regularly, neither he or the Sun have broken any major Gator news in years.

Now, he has a 2 hour radio show on WRUF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator