Pay $25 to hear Pat Dooley's Inside Scoops on UF Football

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The meal must be 24.00 a head. No way Dools is worth that. We had him at our club back in the 90's and there's absolutely no difference today. All hot air and no substance. More of a story teller than anything else.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The meal must be 24.00 a head. No way Dools is worth that. We had him at our club back in the 90's and there's absolutely no difference today. All hot air and no substance. More of a story teller than anything else.
Stories about all the famous people he hangs out with? He loves those. He thinks the coaches he knows actually like him personally.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Stories about all the famous people he hangs out with? He loves those. He thinks the coaches he knows actually like him personally.

I bet it's like.........Dools you can only hang out with us if you get us beer and burgers.. And he has to pay for it. Andreu tags along to help to clean up the mess.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
WjI5dlphUzUzWVd4dFlYSjBhVzFoWjJWekxtTnZiUzlwTDNBdk1EQXZNRE12TXpJdk1EQXZNREl2TURBd016TXlNREF3TWpFME1GODFNREJZTlRBd0xtcHdadz09MnhsYzNWamEzTQ,,.jpg

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Dooley is the only "fat arrogant slob" I've ever met. Dude believes he's actually "somebody" in the CFB business. It's hilarious!!!

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Space Coast Gator Club just had a Gator Gathering w/ UF Head Football Coach Jim McElwain on May 3.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really IMO there has not been anyone with a pulse on Gator Football ( and this will tell my age ) since Jack Hairston. I always thought he go a raw deal from the Sun. He may have retired.....but I think there was a "supposed" up and coming BEEEEONKEE that helped facilitate his retirement. I have no proof of that but just the feeling many of us felt at the time. To me that's where the beginning of the end and why GS is what it is today. Bianchi leaves the Sun for Orlando....good riddance and then there's Dools. Both he and Bianchi's schtick is old. No insight and Dooley and Andreu get beat to the punch when those two should have great access inside Gator Football. I mean, who would let them. It's even bad when the Asshat Mustank won't even give you access. Mac may be a little easier on these two but rest assured, he'll zing them when he has an opportunity.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Before I left GSMB, one of LOF's frequent regurgitation was how Mac was unaccommodating to Dooley. Either Mac sniffed him out real quick and wrote him off, or someone inside the program gave him a heads up that Dooley is a waste of time. Have we seen or heard anything about the rest of the football staff, or any of the basketball staff for that matter on how they interact with the media in general? I haven't read or heard much for White's first year...then again, I'd already tuned out the Sun, Dooley, and GSMB to a large degree.

As for getting speakers, I think it comes down to who you know, how much you're willing to pay, and how hard you're willing to work for it. Alex shows us it can be done in a cost effective and very productive manner. Not knocking Space Coast, but maybe their leadership simply doesn't have 'it'.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Really IMO there has not been anyone with a pulse on Gator Football ( and this will tell my age ) since Jack Hairston. I always thought he go a raw deal from the Sun. He may have retired.....but I think there was a "supposed" up and coming BEEEEONKEE that helped facilitate his retirement. I have no proof of that but just the feeling many of us felt at the time. To me that's where the beginning of the end and why GS is what it is today. Bianchi leaves the Sun for Orlando....good riddance and then there's Dools. Both he and Bianchi's schtick is old. No insight and Dooley and Andreu get beat to the punch when those two should have great access inside Gator Football. I mean, who would let them. It's even bad when the Asshat Mustank won't even give you access. Mac may be a little easier on these two but rest assured, he'll zing them when he has an opportunity.
At least Bianchi has some writing talent. Dooley does not.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
At least Bianchi has some writing talent. Dooley does not.

I actually liked Bianchi when he was with the Sun. Didn't read him while he was in Jax. Then he got the Orlando gig and now I hate him. It's not about sharing information, it's about being controversial so you get pageviews and retweets. No thanks. I get all the controversial opinions I want around here. What I want from a newspaper is, you know, NEWS.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Space Coast Gator Club just had a Gator Gathering w/ UF Head Football Coach Jim McElwain on May 3.

Those are controlled by the UAA.

It used to be that the Coach would visit every Gator Club in the State and it was a really big deal (going back to Pell).

Then Urban decided that hitting all the little Gator Clubs cut into his recruiting time too much so they started doing the major clubs every year and rotating the smaller clubs (depending on if there was a player in the area the Coach wanted to see, how strong the club was, historic turnout, proximity to another club's event, etc.).

Space Coast rotated in this year and got Mac. I hope they got a good turnout. Were you able to attend?

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I actually liked Bianchi when he was with the Sun. Didn't read him while he was in Jax. Then he got the Orlando gig and now I hate him. It's not about sharing information, it's about being controversial so you get pageviews and retweets. No thanks. I get all the controversial opinions I want around here. What I want from a newspaper is, you know, NEWS.

Alex.

Change in philosophy of news organizations throughout media. It's more important to create news than report news.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
As for getting speakers, I think it comes down to who you know, how much you're willing to pay, and how hard you're willing to work for it. Alex shows us it can be done in a cost effective and very productive manner. Not knocking Space Coast, but maybe their leadership simply doesn't have 'it'.

Can't blame Space Coast too much. It all depends on who you have access to and who is willing to come. For an event in Orlando, the speaker usually drove home afterwards. We didn't always have to spring for a hotel room. Space Coast would almost always have to pay for lodging on top of the speaker's fee. Plus you have to take into account your membership base. What's going to appeal the most to them? Are you catering to retired old Bull Gators, or young alumni with twitter feeds on their phones? Sometimes you do different events so you can cater to both.

Players charge different fees. When I was involved in the Gator Clubs, there was a mini-scandal when a player charged one club a reasonable fee and absolutely gouged another club because the other club had no idea what the going rates were. There was a movement to set up some sort of database so clubs would have a general idea of what other clubs were paying. Dunno if that's been done. Of course, somebody who is local will take less than somebody who has to drive from Gainesville to Fort Meyers. I always wanted to get Wuerffel. We had a connection to him but he wouldn't do it for money. So how do you get him to come from New Orleans to Florida? A donation to Desire Street Ministries. No problem, right? Wrong. Gator Clubs are set up to raise money for UF. We can pay Coach Spurrier to give a speech if that speech is raising money for UF. We can't make a donation to another charity. So we would have to pay Danny and then have Danny donate the money to Desire Street??? Very complicated.

I know the out-of-state Gator Clubs seem to like Dooley a lot (that's where they went to get their Gator news). If he goes to Denver, they will be paying airfare, hotel, etc. Some like Mick Hubert too. I've never heard him and frankly, I'm not interested. Not sure why. The gentleman I REALLY liked was Steve Russell. He's the radio guy, he does the post-game call in show you listen to driving home from the game. Been there since the late 80's, a real class act, no pretense whatsoever.

In Orlando, there is a lady with all the player's numbers. She used to coordinate lining them up for their annual golf tournament and every year she got a ton of players to participate (she probably still does). She kept those numbers to herself. I can't blame her. It's a matter of trust. You don't need some drunk fanboy ruining a relationship for you by calling a player just to say "hi" and "do you remember that time you caught that pass, man, I was right there in the stadium, we were going crazy!". In my phone right now, I've got numbers for Shane Matthews, Chris Doering, Terry Jackson, and a few others. Other players belong to networks. Dan Cross (from our first final four team) runs an organization of former athletes. Rhett was represented by an agency (don't know if he still is) but other folks had his number. I'm guessing since I got away from the clubs, player contact is probably done more through social media.

As for the independent media types, somebody like Marty Cohen from GatorBait would speak mostly for the free advertising.

Alex.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those are controlled by the UAA.

It used to be that the Coach would visit every Gator Club in the State and it was a really big deal (going back to Pell).

Then Urban decided that hitting all the little Gator Clubs cut into his recruiting time too much so they started doing the major clubs every year and rotating the smaller clubs (depending on if there was a player in the area the Coach wanted to see, how strong the club was, historic turnout, proximity to another club's event, etc.).

Space Coast rotated in this year and got Mac. I hope they got a good turnout. Were you able to attend?

Alex.
I bought a ticket to attend but, I had a last minute family issue which prevented me from attending. I have not seen any information on the turn out.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather take an icepick to my eardrum than to listen to one second of Fat Tooley's drivel.....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If I'm paying $25 for that event the food better be $24.95 of that and a nickle going to Dooley.

And the food better be damn good because the speaker ain't.
I can't believe you of all people is paying 25 bucks to listen to a 3 star speaker

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Change in philosophy of news organizations throughout media. It's more important to create news than report news.

This is 100% accurate unfortunately.

The media tries to manipulate the public with half truths and calculated opinions versus telling us anything.
In fact, I cannot remember the last time anyone at that paper told us anything controversial or insightful. Do they not know or are they sooooo concerned about access they don't tell us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator