PFF: Pump the brakes on Trask

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I'm honestly surprised he threw for 695 yards. it seems like mostly what he did was handed off the ball to Fred Taylor which is a pretty good job to have.

His purpose in life seem to be to run another play while Doug Johnson ran to the sideline so SOS could explain what happened to Dougie. it actually did seem to help dog a lot do both settle down and to understand what SOS was seeing in the defense that he was not.

the beauty of spurrier's offense was that he could often call the same play three times in a row and if the defense changed it would look like different plays. the players were supposed to run different routes depending on where the corners play loser type and depending on how many safeties were high. this required the receivers and the quarterback to be on the same page and very precise.

Mullins offenses almost exactly the opposite. if the defense changes they switch the play and also in the formation. when the ball is snapped there's basically one person who's getting the ball and maybe an outlet.
THIS.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Look, Trask is a very "raw" talent. He never had the opportunity to develop his talent in high school because there was a talent ahead of him that better fit the scheme.
He never had a chance to display his skills until a certain coach that knew a coach pointed him out to another coach that took notice. Call it "serendipity."
It just turns out that the coach that recruited him was a complete loser and most of us questioned his lackluster recruiting ability.
So I get why Donk would refer to Trask as "Trash," because our recruiting was "Trash" at that point, and UF should never be recruiting a 2* second-string QB that existed solely as a back up in Texas.
But the kid is actually pretty damn good, and even Donk can breathe easy with showing some respect.
Imagine what it would be like to go on the road and be forced to take over against a team that completely destroyed you in the previous year, your starter is out, no one (at least not the fans) believes in you, and you have to come back from a double-digit deficit, and win the game, and then go on to be one of the best rated QBs in the SEC?
So yes, I have some issues with the way this kid is being judged.
I'm not going to write a dissertation here, but take all the great QBs that we've had and put them in his position.
And remember, it wasn't long ago that many were calling this "the least talented team since 79."

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look, Trask is a very "raw" talent. He never had the opportunity to develop his talent in high school because there was a talent ahead of him that better fit the scheme.
He never had a chance to display his skills until a certain coach that knew a coach pointed him out to another coach that took notice. Call it "serendipity."

He has had 3 years of college coaching, though needing some playing time... he would be far from "raw" at this point because of the coaching he has had, unless the staff is garbage... Which for the first two years might be a question.

It just turns out that the coach that recruited him was a complete loser and most of us questioned his lackluster recruiting ability.
So I get why Donk would refer to Trask as "Trash," because our recruiting was "Trash" at that point, and UF should never be recruiting a 2* second-string QB that existed solely as a back up in Texas.
But the kid is actually pretty damn good, and even Donk can breathe easy with showing some respect.

Kid has done well with the hand he was dealt everyone agrees on that.

Imagine what it would be like to go on the road and be forced to take over against a team that completely destroyed you in the previous year, your starter is out, no one (at least not the fans) believes in you, and you have to come back from a double-digit deficit, and win the game, and then go on to be one of the best rated QBs in the SEC?

hostile environment, with a team that is vastly less talented then what you have. He preformed well, but lets not pretend like it was any more than Kentucky with a 3rd string quarterback who was done. Down double digits against a team we should have never been down against.

Being one of the best rated quarterbacks last year in the SEC wasn't that great, other than Tua and Burrow, who was good last year? That's not a knock on Trask as much as the issues in the SEC over all.

So yes, I have some issues with the way this kid is being judged.
I'm not going to write a dissertation here, but take all the great QBs that we've had and put them in his position.

So we shouldn't judge him on his production? On what he has done or hasn't? You keep on talking about his position, Seems Grossman was a back up who came in, So was Danny, Leak (UM), etc... If we hadn't experienced such poor play over the last decade above average play wouldn't have you beating your meat... but here you are.

And remember, it wasn't long ago that many were calling this "the least talented team since 79."

No one was saying that about last years squad, or the previous year's squad. This is just some bullschit argument you are using to make your argument sound better. One of the worst offensive lines in a while sure... one of the most talented receiving corps if not the most talented since Spurrier is also very true. But I'm sure you will make an argument that Trask is the reason they were so talent, and they were just straight garbage before that, because you are already laying down the ground work.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok.
I just hope we get a chance to find out.

This I agree with, he has to make a giant step up this year. Because not only is he the starter going in, but now teams have multiple games of film to study and a full offseason to do so. Breaking down tendencies, where his flaws and strengths were last season. He has to have a massive step forward (which is the case for any qb going from year 1 to year 2 regardless of College or NFL) and for the good-great ones is the case.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This I agree with, he has to make a giant step up this year. Because not only is he the starter going in, but now teams have multiple games of film to study and a full offseason to do so. Breaking down tendencies, where his flaws and strengths were last season. He has to have a massive step forward (which is the case for any qb going from year 1 to year 2 regardless of College or NFL) and for the good-great ones is the case.

He’s great at knowing where to put the ball and anticipating where his receivers will be.

He greatly over values the strength of his arm. I could see him running into issues with that this year now that they have tape to study on him. I could see teams that have good defensive backfields baiting him into interceptions.

I just don’t think that without the arm strength, he will ever be successful at an NFL level. But I don’t think that matters to us. We need him to be good at the collegiate level. And I think he can deliver at this level more times than not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s great at knowing where to put the ball and anticipating where his receivers will be.

While I agree with his pre-snap reads, is this true once defenses take away the seams and crossing routes that were pre-snap reads. Will he truly be able to look off a db and snap his head back knowing where to put the ball. Not saying he can't, just haven't seen it to know if he can consistently, he really didn't have to last year.

He greatly over values the strength of his arm. I could see him running into issues with that this year now that they have tape to study on him. I could see teams that have good defensive backfields baiting him into interceptions.

I just don’t think that without the arm strength, he will ever be successful at an NFL level. But I don’t think that matters to us. We need him to be good at the collegiate level. And I think he can deliver at this level more times than not.

Agree with all the rest of this.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trash is really the least of our worries on offense.

the issue is are we going to actually adapt the offense or are we just going to keep running the same playbook, but only a few pages of that old playbook.

trash makes an ill-advised throws or some throws that are risky but that's what a good quarterback does. Danny wuerffel had a lot of interceptions.

the good news is the reason that in middle school or high school that kids get moved from wide receiver to cornerback is because they can't catch. we're going to win most of those.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
There is real cause for keeping an open mind regarding Trask's ceiling, heading into his second season as a starter. There are also some very real concerns that will linger until he dispels them - ie: arm strength, decision making, and whether he possesses enough athleticism to properly run the RO ala Mullen. In some respects, KT reminds me somewhat of Shane Mathews in regard to arm strength (average) and overall athleticism (adequate at best). Like Mathews, he has also seemingly come from out of nowhere to perform surprisingly well when called upon in an hour of great need.

However, due to the differences in offensive schemes and the hyper-competitive nature of the modern SEC, the parallels that can be drawn between the two players are somewhat limited. But Mathews did emerge as an SEC Championship player, despite limited physical tools, while under the watchful eye of one the greatest offensive minds in the history of CFB. We will learn pretty much everything there is to know about Trask, and his true capacities as an SEC QB, by the mid-point of the season. We will also learn a great deal about CDM and his ability to coach at a championship level as the 2020 season unfolds.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"hyper-competitive SEC"
The SEC is absolute garbage right now except for one team. Another has elite talent and a mediocre coach. There used to be three legitimate top 10 teams innthe SEC. It is a steaming pile of shtt. Most of the teams cant score on MAC teams today.

It has NEVER been easier for a Gator coach the modern era.

So ridiculous when people compare Trash in Matthews. Matthews was the player of the year in Mississippi and was sought by almost every major school. but yes back then Spurrier like to brag that he landed two All American QB every class. Wow how things have changed.

"whether he possesses enough athleticism to properly run the RO ala Mullen. "

:lmao2: that is not an unknown. We know very well and very clearly that he cannot run the read option.

The issue is whether Mullinz will adapt, he hasnt yet, or just keep having him run part of the plays in the read-option playbook (the fake read option screen pass ones mostly).

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Great Gator Quarterbacks:

Tebow, Wuerffel, Grossman, Spurrier, Leak, Reaves, Bell, Haywood Sullivan, Shane Matthews, Wayne Peace, and if you really want to go old school, a shout-out to Clyde "Cannonball" Crabtree of the fabled 1928 team.

If you are limiting yourself to QBs who played AFTER Wuerffel and only played for a single season, then why not Will Grier or Jacoby Brissett (imagine them with better coaching) or Doug Johnson or Jesse Palmer?

Alex.
Haywood Sullivan?
:what:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Haywood Sullivan?
:what:

Left early to play professional baseball. Ended up part owner of the Red Sox. He would have been a stud his senior year. Big, strong arm, good instincts, classic pro-style QB. Was a better football player than baseball player, but back then (maybe still today) an MLB career is more lucrative than an NFL career.

Alex.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Left early to play professional baseball. Ended up part owner of the Red Sox. He would have been a stud his senior year. Big, strong arm, good instincts, classic pro-style QB. Was a better football player than baseball player, but back then (maybe still today) an MLB career is more lucrative than an NFL career.

Alex.
My dad always spoke very highly of Sullivan.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Alex.

MLB is waaaay more lucrative. Unless you’re a QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding the OP, does anybody know the criteria they're using for, "big-time throws"?
NFL throws. Deep out is the gold stand.

Things that aren't in Mullins playbook at all.

he plays in Dan Mullins option offense and mostly throws the balls in front of the linebackers. he does that because that's what the playbook is it's not because it's necessarily his limitation.

This offense has many many problems beginning and (really) ending with the playbook.

Trash isnt even on the list.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding the OP, does anybody know the criteria they're using for, "big-time throws"?

Trask is a very methodical system QB. He doesn't have the improvisational gunslinging skills of a Rex Grossman or Will Grier type. Obviously our offense doesn't call for a lot of big time throws, and frankly the opportunities to freelance one are not often there, even if Trask was that kind of freewheeling player. What might be considered a "big time throw" for him is successfully throwing it out of bounds to avoid a sack, but I'm sure that's not how most people grade them.

Deep and throws that are in an "NFL window"... Corner Routes, 10&15 yard outs (especially to the far side of the field), Trask works the middle of the field a lot, which in the NFL is asking for trouble. The Post route in an NFL window would also I would assume be considered.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
NFL throws. Deep out is the gold stand.

Things that aren't in Mullins playbook at all.

he plays in Dan Mullins option offense and mostly throws the balls in front of the linebackers. he does that because that's what the playbook is it's not because it's necessarily his limitation.

This offense has many many problems beginning and (really) ending with the playbook.

Trash isnt even on the list.

:blahblah:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator