Play Jawaan Taylor NOW

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is obviously worth bumping. If this kid pans out, it could change our entire offense almost immediately.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The guy Johnson struggled with physically, JT downright assaulted. The truth is, he had an easy time. He even got a pancake in the game.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is obviously worth bumping. If this kid pans out, it could change our entire offense almost immediately.

It was only I think the 2nd drive, but to me there was an immediate difference when he came in.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@LandonWatnick: "He's a stone wall. He has the strongest punch I've seen a freshman have" - Luke Del Rio on Jawaan Taylor, "The Great Wall of Waany."

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
For those who haven't seen his high school tape, go watch it. JT plays with a real mean streak and I saw it in spades yesterday. That kind of attitude often rubs off on the whole group.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This kid is a beast! He is already the best OLineman we have.

On Scarlett's TD run to the LEFT at the 3:40 mark guess who was at left tackle?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This kid may be the difference for us this year. The whole offense ran better with him. A three year starter at RT! Yes please

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How was he only a 3 star?
Many of the strongest OL and DTs are 3 stars. The scouts, including NFL scouts, love athletic guys (the linemen who can dunk a basketball) over the strong mean ones.

Fred Johnson was a 3 star also but a low 3 star.

We were fighting the big boys for Jawaan Taylor and we took Fred from FAU. Both assessments appear to be spot on at the moment.

It also appears all that beastmode weightlifting we saw on his twitter feed was legit. Love this kid already. Hope his work ethic rubs off on Stone and others.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

In this highlight tape Taylor handled his guys in pass protection with no problem. He looks to have much quicker feet than Johnson does in those situations.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How was he only a 3 star?

The o-line is maybe the one position where stars really don't matter all that much. Size and agility do.

Where we have seen that stars correlate very well in particular, are at DE, WR, Safety, TE, and CB. Five star and high level 4 star (top 10-20 or so at their position) tend to be much more likely to become all-conference selections.

When it comes to the o-line your 5 stars tend to be underweight and extremely quick. Basically an assessment on potential. We've had quite a few of those. Nixon, Patchan, and Humphries come to mind. They can just never put the weight on.

If a recruit has great power and weight then a great coach can teach him how to use his feet and hands.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also I didn't mention DT, QB, LB, and RB.

You tend to find that the 4 star players are just as successful as the 5 star players. If not more.

Linebacker probably has a bit higher success rate with 5 star. If I'm recruiting DT I want a ton of 4 star players and let them battle it out. 5 star QBs and running backs fizzle all the time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Also I didn't mention DT, QB, LB, and RB.

You tend to find that the 4 star players are just as successful as the 5 star players. If not more.

Linebacker probably has a bit higher success rate with 5 star. If I'm recruiting DT I want a ton of 4 star players and let them battle it out. 5 star QBs and running backs fizzle all the time.

Yep its a numbers game. 4 stars will always produce the bulk of the top players due to there being so many more of them than 5 stars. O line may be the one position a bunch of top guys if not most were only 3 stars.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
It was only I think the 2nd drive, but to me there was an immediate difference when he came in.

Yep. Fred whiffed on the play where Del Rio got hit and it was ruled an incomplete pass right in front of us. I started screaming for the man-child. The staff obliged on the next drive and it was on like Donkey Kong from then on .....

Every significant run we had went right behind this guy whether he was lined up on the right or left. I told the folks in my section to watch him and watch where the running plays were going to go.

COMETH THE HOUR, COMETH THE MAN-CHILD!!!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yep. Fred whiffed on the play where Del Rio got hit and it was ruled an incomplete pass right in front of us. I started screaming for the man-child. The staff obliged on the next drive and it was on like Donkey Kong from then on .....

Every significant run we had went right behind this guy whether he was lined up on the right or left. I told the folks in my section to watch him and watch where the running plays were going to go.

COMETH THE HOUR, COMETH THE MAN-CHILD!!!
It's simple really, you play the best players at each position and hope the others can provide decent depth if there's an injury. Yes, it would be nice to shelf players for a year if you're depth chart affords you that luxury....ours doesn't at this time. I'm not buying into the theory that just because a guy plays offensive line he shouldn't be any good until his third year....The reality is if you're not getting reps in your second year you're most likely taking up a valuable roster spot and have maxed out your potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator