Pulse on Napier

Where do you stand on your belief in Napier?

• He’s definitely the guy, but will take some time to turn it around.

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • He’s the guy and will have success in 2023

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • On the fence, definite red flags and concerns. Not sure he’ll overcome them.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • He’s not the guy, hope he stocks the cupboard with talent.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • He’s not the guy, will be on hot seat by end of 2023.

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
AR-15 should grab the big bucks now. Another year of disappointing results will tarnish his "raw but talented" opportunity. From here, it looks like he is not getting better from this staff or whatever private coaching he has. He better strike while the iron is somewhat hot.
I’d be worried about dropping to later rounds. There’s risk either way of course. In any case he’ll make a ton and have his opportunity.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I’d be worried about dropping to later rounds. There’s risk either way of course. In any case he’ll make a ton and have his opportunity.
Think of the risk that he doesn't improve if he stays...whether that is systematic or from outside coaching conflicts. The downside is HUGE. His best options are to stay and actually improve (something that looks questionable at best) or get while the getting is good!

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Think of the risk that he doesn't improve if he stays...whether that is systematic or from outside coaching conflicts. The downside is HUGE. His best options are to stay and actually improve (something that looks questionable at best) or get while the getting is good!
Let's say he stays. And that he improves about 20-25% in his second year with Billy. Wouldn't you want to see it? He's an amazing player when he's on. What if he figures it all out and has a Cam Newton at Auburn type season?

Personally, I think he's too emotionally immature for the NFL and needs to stay in school.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Let's say he stays. And that he improves about 20-25% in his second year with Billy. Wouldn't you want to see it? He's an amazing player when he's on. What if he figures it all out and has a Cam Newton at Auburn type season?

Personally, I think he's too emotionally immature for the NFL and needs to stay in school.
I agree. The question I have is whether he should risk the upside of improvement possibility versus the downside of being further exposed for being the QB he showed this year...inconsistent, inaccurate and frail.

If he thinks he can figure it out, there is little risk other than being completely wrong.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I agree. The question I have is whether he should risk the upside of improvement possibility versus the downside of being further exposed for being the QB he showed this year...inconsistent, inaccurate and frail.

If he thinks he can figure it out, there is little risk other than being completely wrong.
While I agree with your financial calculus, you can't put a price on the college experience. Who wouldn't want anther shot at bringing Glory back to the Mighty Gators with all your best homies.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
While I would like to see AR do well at the next level and make money my main interest is what's best for this team going forward. If he doesn't improve at all and continues to be a head case we get what we got this year and that's not going to fly for any of us I don't think. Frankly I'd like to see what Kitna has in his tool box to run this offense. I have little doubt his accuracy will be better although not nearly the arm. And he'll probably be quicker on his reads being he is more of a passer that AR. If AR stays and improves immensely then wonderful...personally I don't see it. My 2 cts.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with your financial calculus, you can't put a price on the college experience. Who wouldn't want anther shot at bringing Glory back to the Mighty Gators with all your best homies.

I am going to assume that you are joking.
I would be hard pressed to find any modern college football player that cares about the school he plays for half as much as the NFL money.

Tim Tebow doesn’t live here anymore.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
Ox
You think if he loses at Utah game one, then stinks it up the next week and starts off 0-2 he’s NOT on the hot seat year two?

Hell, he’s Harsin in waiting.

Napier better kick asss in recruiting and then beat the hell out of UCF in the French’s mustard bowl.
We could lose to UCF in a bowl, lose to Utah in Salt Lake, get beat at Home by UT two weeks after that and potentially also lose to UK in Lexington. There's no way in hell he isn't on a hot seat after that. He has got to land this top 10 class and have the team prepared for the bowl and win it. That would be the start of Napier digging himself out of this hole he's put himself in after this sh**y season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, he’s Harsin in waiting.
Not only did Harsin take over less of a dumpster fire, he didn't recruit at all, even from day 1.

There's zero chance Billy is on any kind of hot seat next year, no matter how much you want him to be.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
That would be the start of Napier digging himself out of this hole he's put himself in after this sh**y season.
You really think the admin views this first season as him "putting himself in a hole". Sober up. I think they are thrilled with the direction of the program.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Not only did Harsin take over less of a dumpster fire, he didn't recruit at all, even from day 1.

There's zero chance Billy is on any kind of hot seat next year, no matter how much you want him to be.
That’s the point.
I DO NOT want him to be on the damn hot seat or be worried about another bad season and then the inevitable hiring process, which we obviously suck at.

I would much rather he turn this ship around with some progress and show some semblance of of actual coaching prowess.

After this year, I just don’t think he has it in him.

I guess this entire argument boils down to, how far down each of us believe the program was, after the last three hires.

I don’t think we were Vandy level before Napier.
Some here do.

Apparently, that’s where we are right now.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After this year, I just don’t think he has it in him.
That's where you and I disagree. Only time will tell.

As of this moment, I'm satisfied with the direction of the program. I was never able to say that about the last 3 guys.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
That's where you and I disagree. Only time will tell.

As of this moment, I'm satisfied with the direction of the program. I was never able to say that about the last 3 guys.
I hope you’re right.
I’ve been wrong before with these hires.
I’m desperate for our program to rise from the ashes with a swagger like 1990.

It starts with this class.

I didn’t like the hire.
Then came around to the hire.
Still hanging around trying to find positives after the LSU game.
Pleasantly surprised to beat S Carolina, but the wheels came off in Nashville.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Last summer I was happy with the trajectory of the program; recruiting, staff (although some seemed amateurish), facilities, and culture. But some things had to wait for the season to evaluate; game management and play calling. Objectively, it's fair to say game management and play calling are a miss this season. Every single game there were multiple head scratchers. And losing to Vandy is inexcusable. I was there, I saw how badly that team played.

For me, I'm on the fence with a pretty strong lean to a loss of confidence.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I am going to assume that you are joking.
I would be hard pressed to find any modern college football player that cares about the school he plays for half as much as the NFL money.

Tim Tebow doesn’t live here anymore.
I agree with you on this with 1 exception, I do believe AR15 loves the Gators as he grew up in the shadows of BHG stadium. It's also probably truer that AR15 loves money.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Last summer I was happy with the trajectory of the program; recruiting, staff (although some seemed amateurish), facilities, and culture. But some things had to wait for the season to evaluate; game management and play calling. Objectively, it's fair to say game management and play calling are a miss this season. Every single game there were multiple head scratchers. And losing to Vandy is inexcusable. I was there, I saw how badly that team played.

For me, I'm on the fence with a pretty strong lean to a loss of confidence.
And those two areas are all on Billy. Nothing to to do with players or how bad or good was. And ST, freaking nightmare as well. You'd think those areas would have been pristine with the "lack of talent" we have but no...they too were as bad and our talent level.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
BN is not going anywhere and he has done and is doing everything he needs to do to get us where we need to be. We've had zero players running wild this year, unlike years in the past. Kids that are leaving, let them leave and wish them the best of luck. BN has regained the confidence of high school coaches and we are once again in the mix for elite talent. Nothing happens overnight. He will adjust to SEC play and next year will be a different team.

I think AR is gone. He won't be able to turn down the money for his family and will not risk coming back another year and possibly getting hurt and lowering his draft stock.

BN will get in the transfer portal and get our next starting QB as well as another RB to compliment ETN. Our young receivers will be the difference makers next year and combined with a consistent QB we should put up some big numbers in the air which will open up an even better run game.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Whether AR stays depends on what he wants and what he believes he can be. He has the athletic talent to be one of the best NFL QBs ever. He does not yet have the non athletic part of great QB play down. The penny may drop for him like it did for Joe Burrow, or it may not. I think if he leaves now, his NFL career will be short. He will probably still be financially set for life. If he stays, he may figure the whole thing out. Does he believe that he has it in himself to do that and does he have the desire and will to make it happen? Stay tuned to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator