Pulse on Napier

Where do you stand on your belief in Napier?

• He’s definitely the guy, but will take some time to turn it around.

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • He’s the guy and will have success in 2023

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • On the fence, definite red flags and concerns. Not sure he’ll overcome them.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • He’s not the guy, hope he stocks the cupboard with talent.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • He’s not the guy, will be on hot seat by end of 2023.

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Go to the last several game threads. Lots of them.
I've read them all and I've lurked the box in every game. We have criticized harshly, but I honestly have not seen anyone calling for Billy to be fired today.

So, while I appreciate the voices of reason, no one needs a lecture about giving Billy time. We ALL know that Billy will be given time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've read them all and I've lurked the box in every game. We have criticized harshly, but I honestly have not seen anyone calling for Billy to be fired today.

So, while I appreciate the voices of reason, no one needs a lecture about giving Billy time. We ALL know that Billy will be given time.

He'll be given time contractually. He's not being given time by the fans as judged by this forum. That's the point I tried to make earlier. There's too much dust yet to settle to make that call IMO.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Game management stuff needs improvement.

Player management is spotty. He reracked the RB pecking order after 4 games (dan would still be starting Wright). Hard to know if Kitna is really so far behind that he didn’t deserve more opportunities to prove himself. Younger players have gotten on the field.

Bringing organization into every aspect (much revolving around recruiting) of the program is huge. Unless this class falls off the rails, we’re seeing major improvement here. Hopefully recruits believe immediate PT is there if they earn it.

Solid improvement in player discipline.

As much as we’ve had to complain about, if we just got consistent “less than spectacular, but move-the-chains” game-manager passing from AR, we might only have 1-2 losses this year. That would be a great Year 1 result.

There are coaches who have been bashed on this board who saw success despite not being a very good game day coach ($$ for the program and recruiting can cover other shortcomings). I’m willing to see what Billy can do with another 2 years, but next year definitely needs to look better than 6-6. Not saying he’s the answer, but also not yet convinced that he won’t succeed.

It’s gonna be a long off-season, so find a hobby to occupy your attention.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have a client, a top guy with Mannheim, who's a Georgia alum. We were talking about Napier the other day. He made the point that he's a no-BS guy in the mold of his mentor, Saban, and that that aspect was sorely missing with Mullen. Smart, he went on to say, can attribute much of his success to strict adherence to that philosophy. The players all learn soon enough that you don't mess with Kirby.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

:dunno:
He’s a clown show and fans like @oxrageous will continue to pump him. It’s bad, real bad but his Southern charm will win over fans. Sun Belt Billy needs to go.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I have a client, a top guy with Mannheim, who's a Georgia alum. We were talking about Napier the other day. He made the point that he's a no-BS guy in the mold of his mentor, Saban, and that that aspect was sorely missing with Mullen. Smart, he went on to say, can attribute much of his success to strict adherence to that philosophy. The players learn soon enough that you don't mess with Kirby.
I can tell you from living in Georgia that all of the Ga fans/alumni that I know are tickled that we hired Napier, at least right now, as opposed to some of the other first year head coaches that were “available”. I don’t think they, nor Bangz, feel threatened by Napier’s presence at UF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can tell you from living in Georgia that all of the Ga fans/alumni that I know are tickled that we hired Napier, at least right now, as opposed to some of the other first year head coaches that were “available”. I don’t think they, nor Bangz, feel threatened by Napier’s presence at UF.

My guy said just the opposite, that the Georgia people he knew had tons of respect for Napier and were keeping a close eye on how things went at Florida.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My guy said just the opposite, that the Georgia people he knew had tons of respect for Napier and were keeping a close eye on how things went at Florida.
You got a guy? A Georgia guy? Sorry about that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And he did it the very next game

That statement requires clarification. SOS had been under criticism for some time for stubbornly refusing to go to the gun. It reached a cruscendo after the loss in Tallahassee in which Wuerffel took a beating. But, yes, the Sugar Bowl was the next game.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He'll be given time contractually. He's not being given time by the fans as judged by this forum. That's the point I tried to make earlier. There's too much dust yet to settle to make that call IMO.
USC was 4-8, second to last in the PAC12 last year. They made what everyone agreed was a great hire and lo and behold are one game away from being in the playoffs. Did he reshape the entire roster from worst to best in his conference in one year? In case you think it was just good luck, OK last year, 11-2. This year they finished 8th in their conference with the Sunbelt Billy award, 6-6.

Of course we have to give Napier time. Not because it looks like he was the right hire. His past results and performance this year strongly suggest it was just another mediocre hire with best case likely being he upgrades the roster for the next guy.

Our most knowledgeable and level headed poster has pretty much told you odds are Napier will never win anything of significance if he continues as the OC/QB Coach, yet there is absolutely zero indication he is considering this self-preserving move.

That’s the reality of the situation folks. Do we need to give him time? Of course, Stricklin made our bed, now we have to sleep in it.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Absolute idiocy. The people who have the power to fire Napier were not even remotely swayed by any game this season. This take is laughable. They are actually looking at the big picture. Do not expect anything to happen until year 4 at the very earliest.

I think Stricklin loves BN so much he'd have sex with him if he could.

Trolling aside--this is probably the worst year to try and say that first-year coaches will always struggle; given that USC, LSU, ND, Oregon, and Washington have all improved or maintained a high level with a first year coach. All of those teams have gotten better as the season has gone on and are executing at a higher level than we are.

I get that Napier was left with a bare cupboard and most of our best players have been guys Napier brought here; but competent coaching sees us with at least 2-3 more wins this season. I really don't see any reason why we couldn't have beat 2 of Kentucky, Vandy, or f$u. The narrative around this team, program, and our future are entirely different if we're an 8-4 or 9-3 team at this point. The former sees us as a top 25 team, the latter as a top 15 team; and either scenario sees us in a much better bowl game. Don't tell me that doesn't make a difference in closing recruits down the stretch either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator