Pulse on Napier

Where do you stand on your belief in Napier?

• He’s definitely the guy, but will take some time to turn it around.

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • He’s the guy and will have success in 2023

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • On the fence, definite red flags and concerns. Not sure he’ll overcome them.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • He’s not the guy, hope he stocks the cupboard with talent.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • He’s not the guy, will be on hot seat by end of 2023.

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS would have Toney packing already. Can you imagine this D against the 95 Nebraska team?

SOS tolerated Zook running the D for three miserable seasons before he demoted him to ST.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And Bob Pruett held Nebraska to 62 points before SOS decided to go with Stoops.

And FSU's pass rush wasn't neutralized until SOS finally gave in to the shotgun. Plenty of examples of where, in time, good things came.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
My take,
I am surprised by the significant number of fans that are such absolutists about results. Meaning if there are not 8-9+ wins in his first year he is a complete failure and on to the next one. The fact of the matter is UF over the last 20 years has churned through more coaches than any other high-profile P5 program. A popular saying here and elsewhere is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. In this context, like it or not, the best course for the program is to actually give him an opportunity to succeed by taking a wider picture of program performance than just W/Ls. That doesn't mean that performance on the field is not subject to criticism, but so many rather than constructive criticism, frame their criticism as a means of justifying their belief/position that Napier is a failure or was never the right coach(despite not even completing his first year). Some go so far as such trivial things like, he just isnt animated enough, or he congratulated our opponent through some coach-speak or the selective memory route, SOS would have never.... No one would give two craps if he posted 10 wins. These are not criticisms but just a manifestation of internal biases.

While not totally unexpected, the 6-6 season is still disappointing, but there were periods of visible improvement against a very challenging first-year schedule. The off-season and obviously second year is going to be determinant for me. If Napier is truly a "process guy" then I would expect some serious self-evaluation and tweeking of what he is doing as head of the program. I highly doubt it will be as extreme as hiring an OC or firing DC, but I would expect some recognition of the issues and some moves to address them. If he says its all fine and we need to try harder, I would have another flag in the negative camp for him.

On a sad side note, it looks like for at least the next 3 years, its Georgia's world and we are living in it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Winning or losing the bowl game doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
That's mullenesque....You go out there and win every battle on every play on every down on every drive in every quarter of every half of every game .....it's how dominance and a winning mindset are formed and ingrained into a program.......What did Meyer used to expect from his players? 5-6 seconds of relentless effort on every play.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My take,
I am surprised by the significant number of fans that are such absolutists about results. Meaning if there are not 8-9+ wins in his first year he is a complete failure and on to the next one. The fact of the matter is UF over the last 20 years has churned through more coaches than any other high-profile P5 program. A popular saying here and elsewhere is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. In this context, like it or not, the best course for the program is to actually give him an opportunity to succeed by taking a wider picture of program performance than just W/Ls. That doesn't mean that performance on the field is not subject to criticism, but so many rather than constructive criticism, frame their criticism as a means of justifying their belief/position that Napier is a failure or was never the right coach(despite not even completing his first year). Some go so far as such trivial things like, he just isnt animated enough, or he congratulated our opponent through some coach-speak or the selective memory route, SOS would have never.... No one would give two craps if he posted 10 wins. These are not criticisms but just a manifestation of internal biases.

While not totally unexpected, the 6-6 season is still disappointing, but there were periods of visible improvement against a very challenging first-year schedule. The off-season and obviously second year is going to be determinant for me. If Napier is truly a "process guy" then I would expect some serious self-evaluation and tweeking of what he is doing as head of the program. I highly doubt it will be as extreme as hiring an OC or firing DC, but I would expect some recognition of the issues and some moves to address them. If he says its all fine and we need to try harder, I would have another flag in the negative camp for him.

On a sad side note, it looks like for at least the next 3 years, its Georgia's world and we are living in it.
Best post of the year and one that perfectly expresses the situation at UF and my feelings.
Peter Griffin Applause GIF by Family Guy

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another example of how it takes time is tight end. Napier by all accounts appears committed to implementing the 12-man attack through simultaneous use of "move" and "attached" tight ends to create matchup problems for smaller, more mobile defenses adapted to the spread.

You'd hardly know it by the lack of tight end use this year. He doesn't have the personnel. Yet.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My take,

Good post. But I would subscribe that the definition of the insanity at UF is keeping the same incompetent AD or AD's year after year and expecting a different result. That is where the insanity truly lies.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
For the record, I have not seen a single person call for the firing of Sunbelt Billy at the end of Season 1. We all acknowledge that he is ours for the foreseeable future, but we can also acknowledge that he does a pisspoor job of gameday coaching at the same time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25 has already volunteered Napier's name for lead shift cook at the Ocala Waffle House.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And FSU's pass rush wasn't neutralized until SOS finally gave in to the shotgun. Plenty of examples of where, in time, good things came.
Zook was Bud Foster compared to Patty cake

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Good post. But I would subscribe that the definition of the insanity at UF is keeping the same incompetent AD or AD's year after year and expecting a different result. That is where the insanity truly lies.
You can't change them every year.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
For the record, I have not seen a single person call for the firing of Sunbelt Billy at the end of Season 1. We all acknowledge that he is ours for the foreseeable future, but we can also acknowledge that he does a pisspoor job of gameday coaching at the same time.
Then you weren't reading posts on this website. There have been several ridiculous posts proclaiming exactly that.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize that if Foley expires anytime soon, the FBI already has you as a prime suspect.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.