Q w/an A - What does BN's offense look like?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cautiously optimistic?

He may realize he needs an OC for game prep and game day management.
He may realize he needs an OC for play calling and Overall offensive strategy.

Whichever the case is, he’s going to eventually need an OC.

I think he’s being Naive’ right now.
Too many loose ends and too many overall decisions to be made In regards to each weeks opponent, to be choked with being the OC.
He's hiring a shcit load of coaches. I'm sure there will be some analysts around to pick up some slack.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier never had an oc, atleast none that seemed to be remembered. Lincoln Riley has this same kind of model. I like this idea. We won't be shuffling OC's every year if this works out and we have the advantage of having an extra position coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier never had an oc, atleast none that seemed to be remembered. Lincoln Riley has this same kind of model. I like this idea. We won't be shuffling OC's every year if this works out and we have the advantage of having an extra position coach.

Actually Spurrier did have a OC, Reeves until Reeves went to USCe... His son was our QB my Junior year in High School. But Napier is going to be more than OC, he will also be QB coach...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if he's gone upstairs yet and had a meeting with a certain someone about offense.

5e246221c0c2fbccf288e3385fedff6d.gif

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll wait for the OC hire then the Spring Game before I lose my mind.....

But, a mind loosing is coming down the road. I can feel in coming. :sadnanner:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm almost finished with the GNFP breakdown, and I feel better about Napier's offense. Louisiana's QB reminded me of Emory Jones in that he struggles to read the field and has accuracy issues. There were lots of missed opportunities in the Sunbelt championship game due to a bad read or throw by the QB. I think with AR-15 at QB, Napier throws more and will be more 50/50 instead of 60/40 run/pass.

I really liked that Napier was aggressive and took a lot of shots downfield. With a better QB he gets those, and the game is a massive blowout.

The offense itself sort of reminds me of what McElwain did with Grier as QB. He uses lots of formations and shifts to confuse defenses, and then he'll take advantage of the numbers the defense provides. I hate that Pierce is gone. He would have been awesome in this system since they do run a lot of power run plays to set up the play action and deep ball.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Another one.

Thanks for posting. I watched the game but the slo-mo replays show what really took place. I'm not as down on his O now. Need a QB that can accurately and consistently hit the long ball. That's NOT EJ. Need big uglies.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm almost finished with the GNFP breakdown, and I feel better about Napier's offense. Louisiana's QB reminded me of Emory Jones in that he struggles to read the field and has accuracy issues. There were lots of missed opportunities in the Sunbelt championship game due to a bad read or throw by the QB. I think with AR-15 at QB, Napier throws more and will be more 50/50 instead of 60/40 run/pass.

I really liked that Napier was aggressive and took a lot of shots downfield. With a better QB he gets those, and the game is a massive blowout.

The offense itself sort of reminds me of what McElwain did with Grier as QB. He uses lots of formations and shifts to confuse defenses, and then he'll take advantage of the numbers the defense provides. I hate that Pierce is gone. He would have been awesome in this system since they do run a lot of power run plays to set up the play action and deep ball.

I am told...Napier designs it around the QB...mostly Talent and FB..IQ.

He uses a lot of formations and shifts for the same plays...Relies on route running and DISCIPLINED OL.

Difficultty increases with increased talent.

Note: He studied under Saban TWICE.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't matter to me if it's run first or not. If he does build it that tells me that he is building that OL like it needs to be. I am sure he would love a dominant run game and sure he wouldn't mind passing as well. Most of the teams that are in the hunt have a pretty good run games.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Well he did work under McElwain twice and in his introduction presser said he gets advice from him regularly....

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hopefully... he's smart enough to change if it is too much. I have no problem with him trying ...
If he intends to create the foundation then hand off parts to other coaches it might work. I can see why he would want to lay the foundation and now is the time to do it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know how to feel about a highlight reel that is mostly busted plays. :stirpot:

The point is that he had really good plays called at the right time. He just didn't have the talent to consistently execute them. He's walking into a much more talented UF team than what he had at Louisiana, and the talent will only get better with the staff he's putting together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator