Q w/an A - What does BN's offense look like?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
So what you are saying you can't find a quarterback that is a 2/3 star talent that can play stable quarterback play against other 2/3 star talent. That is a damning comment about our new coach, because you are saying he can't properly evaluate or coach the quarterback position. You're argument that just because the talent is greater that all the sudden the quarterback position fundamentals change... they don't. They are the same at every level of football.

When 2/3 quarterbacks are playing against 2/3 level talent they can play at that level with consistency. I really think you are just trying to make an argument just to make Napier look better in this regard.

First, I made my views clear about going all in on Riley and being concerned with this (supposedly) one option hire. But, these arguments that QB talent is as good at lower levels because of opposing team skill are silly. QB is unlike all the other positions in comparing 2/3 star vs 4/5.

It is not a position where having an extra 20 LBs or being .2 seconds faster in a 40 makes the biggest difference in a passing offense (though it is huge for a linebacker). Accuracy, decision timing, and willingness to process downfield while under pressure are not improving just because the talent around him is different.

Lower rated QBs are not Aaron Rodgers accurate or Tom Brady decision making because they play on a field of even 1/2 stars. Granted, a running QB could run a great deal better but the passing mechanics and mental game are not showing massive improvement based on surrounding talent level.

If you are arguing purely that stats should equate, even if quality of play does not, then I’d be more in agreement with you because theoretically WRs should be more open. Even that though has real flaws because the WRs are also lower rated and not getting as open because they are playing similar talent.

I think the board has gone insanely sunshine (I said Ox went to Swamp Gas levels, when really JBoss levels would have been a better analogy. He and others seem of the mindset that Napier is perfect and without concern as though made from clay for Florida football despite reasons that jump out that maybe he isn’t), but that is not a reason to counter with weak arguments before we even see how his offense produces here (even though I suspect it will “look” the same, production could be different).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First, I made my views clear about going all in on Riley and being concerned with this (supposedly) one option hire. But, these arguments that QB talent is as good at lower levels because of opposing team skill are silly. QB is unlike all the other positions in comparing 2/3 star vs 4/5.

It is not a position where having an extra 20 LBs or being .2 seconds faster in a 40 makes the biggest difference in a passing offense (though it is huge for a linebacker). Accuracy, decision timing, and willingness to process downfield while under pressure are not improving just because the talent around him is different.

Lower rated QBs are not Aaron Rodgers accurate or Tom Brady decision making because they play on a field of even 1/2 stars. Granted, a running QB could run a great deal better but the passing mechanics and mental game are not showing massive improvement based on surrounding talent level.

If you are arguing purely that stats should equate, even if quality of play does not, then I’d be more in agreement with you because theoretically WRs should be more open. Even that though has real flaws because the WRs are also lower rated and not getting as open because they are playing similar talent.

I think the board has gone insanely sunshine (I said Ox went to Swamp Gas levels, when really JBoss levels would have been a better analogy. He and others seem of the mindset that Napier is perfect and without concern as though made from clay for Florida football despite reasons that jump out that maybe he isn’t), but that is not a reason to counter with weak arguments before we even see how his offense produces here (even though I suspect it will “look” the same, production could be different).

Comparing 2/3 vs 2/3 not 2/3 vs 4/5... The quarterbacks at 2/3 aren't as talented as 4/5. There were many reasons for teh difference a lot of that is physical... there were a number of 2/3 star more fundamentally and mentally sound than someone like Franks or Driskel who were 4/5 star guys. If the talent levels are level you can find a guy or coach a guy to be level and consistent against similar talents. Your argument against is comparing 4/5 vs 2/3... a quarterback who is well coached at their level will play well vs their level of competition.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
JB, but that was his quarterback, we aren't talking year one or two, it was year 4. It was his quarterback, the guy he choose. Much like EJ was Mullen's guy. If he didn't execute them well, this wasn't new information.
He did not recruit or sign Lewis. But he did win alot of games with him. Why would he change qb's so he could have "his guy" if he was winning?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Here's a game that asu had to lean on their passing game to get back in this one. He definitely called plays differently for Wilkins than Lewis. They ended up losing this one but the offense went headed to head with Kingsbury . Yes I got board and watched the entire game on the offensive side of the ball lol.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Another game when they had to match Justin Herbert. I watched pretty much offense only in this one too. I think we'll all be happy with it. Looked like they were out manned but made enough plays down field. They ended up winning this one.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think the board has gone insanely sunshine (I said Ox went to Swamp Gas levels, when really JBoss levels would have been a better analogy. He and others seem of the mindset that Napier is perfect and without concern as though made from clay for Florida football despite reasons that jump out that maybe he isn’t)
Nonsense. All I've said is he's finally giving us a real football program. I don't know how it will translate to wins and losses, but I definitely think that even if he failed, he would leave the program one hell of a lot better than he found it.

People like yourself who hate the hire because it wasn't "splashy" will continue to nitpick every little thing and try and convince others it will be the offense of Muschamp II.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He did not recruit or sign Lewis. But he did win alot of games with him. Why would he change qb's so he could have "his guy" if he was winning?

So by year 4 he didn't have his guy... then he was his guy. it was year 4. This is a mullen level excuse making.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So by year 4 he didn't have his guy... then he was his guy. it was year 4. This is a mullen level excuse making.
You didn't answer the question. Why would he change qb's if they're winning and the offense is functional? How often does that happen?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You didn't answer the question. Why would he change qb's if they're winning and the offense is functional? How often does that happen?

In this era of football more often especially in top tier programs. Bryant to Lawerane, Hurts to Tua, Rattler to Williams (Rattler was imploding), etc... if you have a better guy you make the change regardless of the guy starting. That is what great coaches do. You put this best player on the field to win. It's one of the many issues we had with Mullen, but now you are ok with it because this guys last name doesn't start with an "M".

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
What the offense will look like is probably the last thing that I'm worried about. Under Mullen we could score 40+ and still get our ass beat. I'd prefer scoring 13 and winning, but maybe that's just me.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
People like yourself who hate the hire

This is the JBossin we now know. Lots of hires would have been hated. This isn’t one of them. Still don’t love the advertised story, if true, that we didn’t even take a shot at the proven commodity.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Interesting you had to link an argument about OU holding off an average team to barely win the conference championship in a conference that gets left out of the playoffs a lot because of the weak schedule and when they do finally get in they always lose (under Riley...and most always under big game bob). It speak a lot to your getting defensive about it.

Meh...I dont see that as a proven commodity. Especially for the price tag it would have taken. Beyond winning the big12, what has he really done to say he is a proven commodity? He always seemed to drop a game he shouldn't and his recruiting isn't great (10, 13, 6 and 9). I guess those precious big12 trophies means a lot more to you than me, one would even say you seemed to have gone all jboss on them.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting you had to link an argument about OU holding off an average team to barely win the conference championship in a conference that gets left out of the playoffs a lot because of the weak schedule and when they do finally get in they always lose (under Riley...and most always under big game bob). It speak a lot to your getting defensive about it.

Meh...I dont see that as a proven commodity. Especially for the price tag it would have taken. Beyond winning the big12, what has he really done to say he is a proven commodity? He always seemed to drop a game he shouldn't and his recruiting isn't great (10, 13, 6 and 9). I guess those precious big12 trophies means a lot more to you than me, one would even say you seemed to have gone all jboss on them.

So a SunBelt trophy is more impressive than a Big12 trophy to you?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Never said that. Try following the discussion.

with you there really isn't much to follow, you wearing your helmet, liking the windows... yelling "franks and beans" then making a comment about someone's mom.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
with you there really isn't much to follow, you wearing your helmet, liking the windows... yelling "franks and beans" then making a comment about someone's mom.

Whatever dude...bump that chit down the road to someone who cares. You jumped into this discussion on me and tried to get me to say something I didnt. Now you are instigating the personal insults towards me by saying thats all I do. That stank is on you, not me.
whatever-dog.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Wouldn't ULL be in a position due to it's natural resources (east Texas and LA) to be one of the talented teams in their conference as well?

As far as Gundy, he is better than people give him credit, but doubt he would fit the organizational culture at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.