Q w/an A - What does BN's offense look like?

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Since taking the UF job, Napier has reportedly reached out to 5 QBs:

- Walker Howard
- Jacurri Brown
- Robbie Roper
- Tanner Bailey
- Cameron Ward

4 of those 5 are pass-first QBs. A good sign for those concerned that Napier would be dead set on a run heavy scheme.

Copied this, but makes a good point

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since taking the UF job, Napier has reportedly reached out to 5 QBs:

- Walker Howard
- Jacurri Brown
- Robbie Roper
- Tanner Bailey
- Cameron Ward

4 of those 5 are pass-first QBs. A good sign for those concerned that Napier would be dead set on a run heavy scheme.

Copied this, but makes a good point

Muschamp reached out to Wil Grier who was a pass first quarterback..... and you point is what exactly?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The point is that he had really good plays called at the right time. He just didn't have the talent to consistently execute them. He's walking into a much more talented UF team than what he had at Louisiana, and the talent will only get better with the staff he's putting together.

But he was playing against similar talent... This is such a bad argument. He had Sun-Belt talent playing against Sun-Belt talent. This is trying to make a conclusion fit an argument.

If it was Sun Belt vs SEC, C-USA maybe that would hold, but you are saying that if faced with similar talent he will only succeed with broken plays?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But he was playing against similar talent... This is such a bad argument. He had Sun-Belt talent playing against Sun-Belt talent. This is trying to make a conclusion fit an argument.

If it was Sun Belt vs SEC, C-USA maybe that would hold, but you are saying that if faced with similar talent he will only succeed with broken plays?

His QB read the field like EJ and was missing wide open WRs either because he didn't see them or he completely missed the throw. It doesn't matter what the talent on the other team is if your quarterback is missing his routes against practically air. That is a talent issue that is immediately fixed with AR at quarterback.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His QB read the field like EJ and was missing wide open WRs either because he didn't see them or he completely missed the throw. It doesn't matter what the talent on the other team is if your quarterback is missing his routes against practically air. That is a talent issue that is immediately fixed with AR at quarterback.

That's coaching.... if we are comparing his UL team to other Sun-Belt product, is talent on talent.... I don't have an issue with Napier yet... Mullen choose EJ, Napier chose his UL quarterback. It was year 4, that was his team and his vision.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Normally, the better QBs will go to power 5 schools. Occasionally, the Sun Belt teams and other teams of similar quality will find some diamonds in the rough, but he pretty much had to pick from the recruiting leftovers that most teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 teams didn't offer full rides to. He'll have a much better selection of QBs to recruit from while at UF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Normally, the better QBs will go to power 5 schools. Occasionally, the Sun Belt teams and other teams of similar quality will find some diamonds in the rough, but he pretty much had to pick from the recruiting leftovers that most teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 teams didn't offer full rides to. He'll have a much better selection of QBs to recruit from while at UF.

But that is the same with the rest of the positions of all the schools in that conference. They all had schitty talent, because they were in the Sun Belt which might be the lowest of the low G5 conferences.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But that is the same with the rest of the positions of all the schools in that conference. They all had schitty talent, because they were in the Sun Belt which might be the lowest of the low G5 conferences.

The entire point of my original post is that he called really good plays but the QB didn't execute them well. I know I said "talent" in my original post, but I wish I went ahead said QB. I tried to clarify that in my next response to you. The QB's mistakes had nothing to do with the talent of the other team or the talent around him.

If Napier continues to call good plays, and AR plays at least as well as he did this year, then I think the 2022 UF offense will significantly be more productive than Louisiana's this year.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The entire point of my original post is that he called really good plays but the QB didn't execute them well. I know I said "talent" in my original post, but I wish I went ahead said QB. I tried to clarify that in my next response to you. The QB's mistakes had nothing to do with the talent of the other team or the talent around him.

If Napier continues to call good plays, and AR plays at least as well as he did this year, then I think the 2022 UF offense will significantly be more productive than Louisiana's this year.

IF AR can stay healthy...BIG IF

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

JB, but that was his quarterback, we aren't talking year one or two, it was year 4. It was his quarterback, the guy he choose. Much like EJ was Mullen's guy. If he didn't execute them well, this wasn't new information.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JB, but that was his quarterback, we aren't talking year one or two, it was year 4. It was his quarterback, the guy he choose. Much like EJ was Mullen's guy. If he didn't execute them well, this wasn't new information.
Back to my point earlier, he had to choose recruiting leftovers from power 5 schools for his QB. So he couldn't get "his guy" because the guys he would prefer would rather play in a bigger conference. He can get his guy at UF, not Louisiana.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Back to my point earlier, he had to choose recruiting leftovers from power 5 schools for his QB. So he couldn't get "his guy" because the guys he would prefer would rather play in a bigger conference. He can get his guy at UF, not Louisiana.

So what you are saying you can't find a quarterback that is a 2/3 star talent that can play stable quarterback play against other 2/3 star talent. That is a damning comment about our new coach, because you are saying he can't properly evaluate or coach the quarterback position. You're argument that just because the talent is greater that all the sudden the quarterback position fundamentals change... they don't. They are the same at every level of football.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So what you are saying you can't find a quarterback that is a 2/3 star talent that can play stable quarterback play against other 2/3 star talent. That is a damning comment about our new coach, because you are saying he can't properly evaluate or coach the quarterback position. You're argument that just because the talent is greater that all the sudden the quarterback position fundamentals change... they don't. They are the same at every level of football.

It's rare for 2/3 star QBs to play at the level and consistency of 4/5 star QBs. QB is the most influential and difficult position to play. There's a reason why the many NFL teams cycle through QBs like a bag of produce and why only a small fraction of college QBs get a legit shoot at the NFL.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

This...

And he made it work unlike our previous 3 HC. He was ULL's best QB...Better numbers than Jake Delhomme...

@Douglas78....Since Tebow and outside of Trask...(Who Cousin Eddie did not want to start)...Name a "starting" QB at UF who was much better?...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's rare for 2/3 star QBs to play at the level and consistency of 4/5 star QBs. QB is the most influential and difficult position to play. There's a reason why the many NFL teams cycle through QBs like a bag of produce and why only a small fraction of college QBs get a legit shoot at the NFL.

When 2/3 quarterbacks are playing against 2/3 level talent they can play at that level with consistency. I really think you are just trying to make an argument just to make Napier look better in this regard.

The fact that Napier has put O-linemen in the NFL with that level of talent is a great sign. The inconsistent play of his quarterback playing against similar talent isn't.

If we were talking about a 2/3 guy like Brindise was playing against 3/4/5 guys, your argument totally holds water. But we aren't.

The NFL example is a poor example, because there are 32 guys out of the millions of guys at the position, it is the top 32 guys. The cream of the crop, a lot of guys think they are physically and mentally but 99% of them are not.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This...

And he made it work unlike our previous 3 HC. He was ULL's best QB...Better numbers than Jake Delhomme...

@Douglas78....Since Tebow and outside of Trask...(Who Cousin Eddie did not want to start)...Name a "starting" QB at UF who was much better?...

Nola, how many were 4/5 star guys... so they were more talented guys with bad coaching and offensive systems. Nola that argument actually supports my argument. The mental gymnastics some of you guys are taking to defend this is the same mental gymnastics people were defending Mullen's quarterback play at MSU when he was hired. Go back to 2017 and read some of those threads... the same fuching arguments.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Nola, how many were 4/5 star guys... so they were more talented guys with bad coaching and offensive systems. Nola that argument actually supports my argument. The mental gymnastics some of you guys are taking to defend this is the same mental gymnastics people were defending Mullen's quarterback play at MSU when he was hired. Go back to 2017 and read some of those threads... the same fuching arguments.

I hear you 78...But remember...I like Kerwin Bell? I like Bell's Offense...Modified SOS...and given time he's been a winner almost everywhere.

I am tired of re-treads. I take a very different approach...but football talent is not my wheel house...I know what I see as a fan...That's it. And I could not even get into UF today...so take that for what it's worth...NOT MUCH

My take:

I see work ethic, hunger, character, and humility. Humility, now how many of our past 3 HCs have had that?

The Fans at ULL liked him, his players liked him, and he was successful...P-5 no...Being HC at an LSU, UF, OSU...ain't ULL...But I for sure don't want Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, or even a Riley. I was open to Kiffin because I think he has changed...Personally.

And again...I'd give these guys 3 years with huge Performance Bonuses but "Easy Buy-Outs"

In any event...I am HOPEFUL again. I'll eat crow if this is a flop again...BUT it's better than the feces UF coaches have been feeding us for 11..no 12 years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hear you 78...But remember...I like Kerwin Bell? I like Bell's Offense...Modified SOS...and given time he's been a winner almost everywhere.

I am tired of re-treads. I take a very different approach...but football talent is not my wheel house...I know what I see as a fan...That's it. And I could not even get into UF today...so take that for what it's worth...NOT MUCH

My take:

I see work ethic, hunger, character, and humility. Humility, now how many of our past 3 HCs have had that?

The Fans at ULL liked him, his players liked him, and he was successful...P-5 no...Being HC at an LSU, UF, OSU...ain't ULL...But I for sure don't want Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, or even a Riley. I was open to Kiffin because I think he has changed...Personally.

And again...I'd give these guys 3 years with huge Performance Bonuses but "Easy Buy-Outs"

In any event...I am HOPEFUL again. I'll eat crow if this is a flop again...BUT it's better than the feces UF coaches have been feeding us for 11..no 12 years.

Nola,

I really like Kerwin, new him when he was here, coached my friends kid at JU, my dad's cousin coached against him when he was at Mayo and think we should have given him a shot a decade ago... I don't now if he would do it now. Also would run into him when he was a GA for SOS.

My argument isn't saying if Napier is going to work or not... just about the film in question here. I think we should have limited expectations for the passing game. As I have said in other threads Mullen was DOA upon arrival. I do not like the interview process the UAA did. I'm rooting for him, but I'm also not gong to walk into this expect him to be someone other than he is. I would have rather him hire a real OC and QB coach, instead of trying to be CEO, OC and qb coach. I think that if the Athletic Association follows through on their promises (which they didn't when they promised the same to McElwain) he could be successful.

As far as the other guys, Riley obviously wanted out of the SEC (Oklahoma moving to it). He would rather be a the school with the top tier talent compared to the other teams. I think Brian Kelly is a solid coach, but not a top tier and especially southern culture coach. Chip Kelly had his shot, and choose the same path as Riley. I'm not for or against Kiffin, at least it would make some entertaining offensives and press conferences that would be fun to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator