Rank Trask’s 2020 vs. Tebow’s 2007 vs. Wuerffel’s 1996

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
that was the good thing about being up 42 to 7 at halftime versus conservative SEC offenses that probably couldn't score 42 points in a month vs us.

It was fun. I was there. And outside of the second half of 2008, this was the first year that felt almost like that(minus the opponent’s 7 points) since then.

To your other point about Spurrier and Trask, it would’ve been a perfect marriage. He needed the right QB that had a combination of skill and confidence, with humility and willingness to be critiqued. So tough to find, and one of the reasons I put Trask up there so high, even against legends like Tebow.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tebows similar pass stats plus another almost 1k rushing does it for me. Look at all the records he set, including youngest to ever win the heisman at the time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
e569e91e4ae73a79bea1ee956b4aa90c.png

How the hell is Dean behind Brantley and Franks, with Driskel and Treon breathing down his neck? I’m a few Highland’s deep. Has to be that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow’s gaudy performance against Cincinnati in the ‘09 Sugar Bowl, his last game as a Gator. He had 482 passing yards on the evening, waaaaay ahead of his season average.

That performance left him two yards behind Matthews for third place all time at UF. I wonder how much Meyer was aware of that at the time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How the hell is Dean behind Brantley and Franks, with Driskel and Treon breathing down his neck? I’m a few Highland’s deep. Has to be that.

5c6e0138821503258d35dc24de125cc6.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow’s gaudy performance against Cincinnati in the ‘09 Sugar Bowl, his last game as a Gator. He had 482 passing yards on the evening, waaaaay ahead of his season average.

That performance left him two yards behind Matthews for third place all time at UF. I wonder how much Meyer was aware of that at the time.
:lol: I doubt anybody gave two schyts or even knew that the coveted 3rd place yardage trophy was up for grabs.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a tough question. Danny had the best overall season because of the championships, and he played on the best team (I'm comparing 1996 to 2007. Comparing 96 to 2008 is another discussion). That said, if you put Trask on that 96 team, without a doubt he wins the championships and Heisman with similar or maybe better stats. Thus, Wuerffel was not the "most impressive" QB of the 3 imo.

That leaves Tebow and Trask. Trask broke conference and school records on a lesser team, with a worse O-line, and a scheme that isn't the perfect fit for his skillset. Tebow also broke school and conference records, but unlike Trask he also broke national records becoming the first player to have 20/20+ pass/rush TDs but he also did 30/20+ shattering the record. Tebow had the better team, but also had the tougher schedule. Trask impressively will finish with more total yards, but Tebow will finish with more total TDs (I know Trask has 2 fewer games but it's doubtful he would have as many TDs if he played 13 games).

While I think Trask is easily a better passing QB compared to Tebow and has a much better chance of NFL success, I think Tebow had the most impressive season. And the reason why is because he did things that no one had ever seen a QB do before. Trask was spectacular, but he wasn't extraordinary.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: I doubt anybody gave two schyts or even knew that the coveted 3rd place yardage trophy was up for grabs.

I know, it sounds crazy. But then you go back and read things like Meyer having been seen visibly upset over criticisms from Matthews while he worked for the Gator Radio Network. There was a schism between the two. You never really know what to believe, but I think the TRICARE fiasco was what really caused a rift. I’ve heard stories of crying and drunken rants. Terrible. Urban needed a split from Shane. Columbus afforded that opportunity.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is the best qb we've ever had. There, I said it. None of those qb's had to put the team on their back like Trask has.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, he only played 1ish years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know, it sounds crazy. But then you go back and read things like Meyer having been seen visibly upset over criticisms from Matthews while he worked for the Gator Radio Network. There was a schism between the two. You never really know what to believe, but I think the TRICARE fiasco was what really caused a rift. I’ve heard stories of crying and drunken rants. Terrible. Urban needed a split from Shane. Columbus afforded that opportunity.

I’m a Gator and love UF. But between regular alum, former players, boosters(Bulls) etc., we have some of the most ridiculous, most overbearing, possibly semi-retarded people in the country. It’s actually quite astonishing that we’ve managed to accomplish what we have with these monkeys having any influence.

Guys that are train wrecks in multiple aspects of life, including heading to federal prison, being dissatisfied with the particular manner in which their former team is scoring and winning titles. You seriously couldn’t script the stupidity.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don’t think these guys are directly comparable due to their eras and/or style differences. Tebow was an unprecedented freak of nature with an inhuman work ethic and extraordinary, selfless leadership. He is the greatest college player of all time in my humble opinion. Danny was amazingly smart, tough, and accurate - and also a quiet, confident leader.

Trask’s numbers are inflated because SEC defenses are porous across the board due to this weird COVID season. But he also had to contend with all the unique challenges this year: no spring, uncertainty about even playing this year, odd pause and reboot of the season. In all that he clearly showed near Tebow-level leadership and work ethic that prepared his WR corps to excel. Distributing the ball to 9-10 guys every game doesn’t just happen because you’re making the right reads and are accurate - your guys have to be there and the timing is critical. They clearly worked exceptionally hard all off-season on their own. I’m so impressed with him. His story is astounding.

Now that Trask is 1st team All-American, I’m hopeful he can actually win the Heisman.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m a Gator and love UF. But between regular alum, former players, boosters(Bulls) etc., we have some of the most ridiculous, most overbearing, possibly semi-retarded people in the country. It’s actually quite astonishing that we’ve managed to accomplish what we have with these monkeys having any influence.

Guys that are train wrecks in multiple aspects of life, including heading to federal prison, being dissatisfied with the particular manner in which their former team is scoring and winning titles. You seriously couldn’t script the stupidity.

Since my post wasn’t serious, do I dare take this one serious? :dunno:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ok now, how many other QBs anywhere could NEVER start a game from high school thru 3 years of college and come off the bench and be a Heisman contender? How good would Trask be with several years of playing? The guy was a back up his whole time in HS and College and then out of nowhere sets records. Completely and totally amazing.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Three amazing stories of three amazing people. I don’t know that there’s a right or wrong answer. Had a similar discussion with an old Gator buddy a couple of days ago and he asked which one would you want your daughter to marry? I don’t know that there’s a wrong answer there, either, but Danny and Timmy would likely be tied for first only because I don’t really know as much about Kyle at this point comparatively, or that’s what it feels like. Were he to stay another year...

I think Kyle is at least as deserving of the Heisman as Danny and Timmy. Stats are certainly in his corner and not to sound mushy, but 2020 could dang sure use a feel good story and his is certainly representative. It would, I think, also be some great PR for the university’s football and athletics overall. Anything to stave off the quest for us to supplant Vandy as the Harvard of the south and perennial football doormat.

Lastly, and I may be wrong, but I think Kyle’s got a really good shot at NFL success. He can already make most of the throws, has a good presence in the pocket, and certainly has the work ethic and leadership skills. He’s not left handed nor an alcoholic (that I know of), but his field presence and how he plays the position reminds me some of Kenny Stabler, another guy that knew how to find his TE :). Here’s hoping Kyle gets what he truly deserves.

* BTW good thread @78

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator