Ranking SEC QBs Week 1

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I mean, just 18 months ago or so we were trying to convince ourselves we loved Franks, and Trask was an injury-prone high-school-backup joke that was an afterthought. Even bringing up his name brought scorn and mocking upon you.

Now Trask is the best QB in the SEC and Franks is the worst. Who on Earth would have believed this?
for the first time in 13 years we finally got rid of the bad one and kept the good one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
for the first time in 13 years we finally got rid of the bad one and kept the good one.
5xymk9twmu021.png

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
We have running backs for running the ball. It's a sign of a schitty coach that tries to beat a square peg in a round hole. A good coach works within the capabilities of his personnel. Yea Trask can run it occasionally to keep the defense honest, but he needs to be in passing the ball.

Most all of the last national championship winning teams (and the playoff loser too btw) did so with mobile QBs who could reliably scramble or offer a credible rushing threat:

Burrow in 2019 (Lawrence was the loser)
Lawrence in 2018 (Tua was the loser)
Tua/Hurts in 2017 (Fromm was the loser)
Watson in 2016 (Hurts was the loser)
---Coker won in 2015, but Watson was the loser
Jones in 2014 (Mariota was the loser).

That's 11 of 13 QBs in the playoff era who were counted on to be able to run.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
able to run is not the same thing as we use him for our third and one or fourth and one fullback.

none of those guys were run like Mullins QB/FB.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
able to run is not the same thing as we use him for our third and one or fourth and one fullback.

none of those guys were run like Mullins QB/FB.

True, but then again, I never made either claim.

Having a mobile QB who offers the threat of running is increasingly impt for college football success.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think your hopes are clouding your logic. I want a vertical passing game, but Mullen is Mullen.
I can definitely see some more vertical passing game when AR takes over . Just going off of what little we seen last year. Delrio looks like more of a pocket guy than a runner to me aswell if I remember correctly.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can definitely see some more vertical passing game when AR takes over . Just going off of what little we seen last year. Delrio looks like more of a pocket guy than a runner to me aswell if I remember correctly.

Looking at the wrong side of the equation, AR from what I understand has the arm talent. But he isn't the one that makes the game plan.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen didn’t have Dak throwing sideways. Why would that change now? We threw sideways for one reason only. Franks.

We’ll be throwing vertical the remainder of the season. Now, if we can get the running game going and not make the same number of mental mistakes on defense, we could have something here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen didn’t have Dak throwing sideways. Why would that change now? We threw sideways for one reason only. Franks..
Mullen has thrown sideways from the day he became an OC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Michael Jordan got cut from his HS varsity team but it's joked about when people bring it up.

What does that have to do with a kid that was knocked out for the season his Red Shirt Freshman and Sophomore years of college ball? You are injury prone until you prove you are not injury prone. 18 months ago he was injury prone, then he completed a full year without injury. You can bet it is on draft profile as well.

The story of Michael Jordan is more like being a back up in HS and being the back up to Franks. Not the fact he couldn't stay healthy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator