Ranking SEC QBs Week 1

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It was because Mullen and company were insisting Trask run the ball as all Mullen QBs up until that time had been required to do. Somewhere along the line in the past year the light came on (no doubt because he didn’t have a choice) and we switched to a more vertical pass oriented offense. If Mullen had made that move from the beginning who knows where we’d be?

You, JDW and Law are all correct. And all the more reason why we have to accomplish something this season. I don't even care about an asterisk. I just want Mullen to be able to look back and say, "wow, that worked" so we don't revert back to strictly run-based. I'm sure it won't be this way all the time, but hopefully much more emphasis on the passing attack. If nothing else, last year, and this last weekend showed that you're going to have to be able to score points if you want to win this league. For the time being at least, the 2009-2017 mindset looks to be over.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn't the future of whatever offense we're going to run in the future depend on the passers in the QB room right now? All Mullen recruits are dual-threat guys.

I think when Trask is gone we can kiss this vertical passing attack goodbye.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Before we get the Mullen has changed the best quarterback he had was Dak Prescott a dude that was forced to pass and pass pretty well for an MSU quarterback...
This isnt the same. This is pure vertical passing, not Tebow or Dak faking an option and hitting someone over the top who snuck out after the backers and safety bit on the run. This is a totally unseen playbook.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This isnt the same. This is pure vertical passing, not Tebow or Dak faking an option and hitting someone over the top who snuck out after the backers and safety bit on the run. This is a totally unseen playbook.

So you see EJ and AR taking over a vertical passing game? it's about the talent you have and what you recruit. Mullens recruited for his system.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you are wrong but who knows.

Maybe he would prefer to win and stay employed vs lose to U South Alabama and sit on the hotseat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you see EJ and AR taking over a vertical passing game? it's about the talent you have and what you recruit. Mullens recruited for his system.
AR is prefectly capable. EJ could too, not quite as vertical of course.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
AR could be the Leak/Tebow combo by himself and change our outlook immensely...only time will tell

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I was trying to think of who Corral reminded me of and completely forgot about Will Greir but that’s the best comparison imo

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have running backs for running the ball. It's a sign of a schitty coach that tries to beat a square peg in a round hole. A good coach works within the capabilities of his personnel. Yea Trask can run it occasionally to keep the defense honest, but he needs to be in passing the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think your hopes are clouding your logic. I want a vertical passing game, but Mullen is Mullen.
I'm a bandwagon fan. I've always admitted it.

I think I'm safe to assume that if he starts sucking again I'll be quick to change my position.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Doesn't the future of whatever offense we're going to run in the future depend on the passers in the QB room right now? All Mullen recruits are dual-threat guys.

Forget vertical. Do we even throw it at all? Sadly, I think you're right. Occasional screen? Maybe.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Clearly the best option is a qb that can execute the vertical passing game like Trask has been doing, but who can also run the ball when necessary. Guys like this are out there believe it or not. Heck, one of the things Burrow did well was take off running when he needed to. Just don't build the whole gameplan around the QB running the ball.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
It is concerning how someone watched them for 15-20 hours a week during spring and fall practices and scrimmages, yet didn't notice this discrepancy. That all 6 offensive staff members plus some limited QC/analysts didn't see it either (or couldn't effectively communicate it to the head coach) is alarming.
Only thing I can see is that some players look good practicing when pressure is not all out and `Coach scripts plays that take decision making out of the equation.
Handling game day pressure both mental and physical was not Franks strong point, for the most part his decision making under duress is not what we get from Trask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator