Recruiting RB Derrick Green granted release from Michigan

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Could Michigan running back transfer be Florida bound?

Landon Watnick | Senior Writer

Michigan running back transfer Derrick Green

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Michigan junior tailback Derrick Green, who is eligible to play in 2016 as a graduate transfer, has been granted his release from the school,according to a report from CFBTalk.com.

So why is this relevant to Florida, which is already pretty deep at running back heading into 2016? Well, from what sources have indicated toTheWolverine.com, Florida right now is Green’s preferred choice.

Recently, Green followed a handful of members of Florida’s coaching staff on Twitter including Gators offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, running backs coach Tim Skipper, offensive line coach Mike Summers and UF program assistant John Van Dam.

Nussmeier was Green's offensive coordinator at Michigan in 2014 -- which was overall Green's most successful season in maize and blue.

If Green, a former five-star recruit from the class of 2013, were to leave Ann Arbor for Gainesville, it would mean the competition at running back would be that much more loaded next season. Although Florida lost leading rusher Kelvin Taylor to the NFL Draft, it returns former four-stars Jordan Cronkrite and Jordan Scarlett to the fold. UF just added an early enrollee at the position, JUCO standout Mark Thompson, and has four-star tailback Lamical Perine currently committed as well.

At Michigan, the 5-foot-11, 234-pound Green arrived as the No. 1 player at running back and the No. 8 talent overall in the class of 2013. However, Green never lived up to the hype in his three seasons with the Wolverines, failing to display the explosion, vision, power and athleticism many expected from the heralded prospect.

After showing up to fall camp overweight as a freshman and then suffering an ankle injury, Green finished with only 270 rushing yards on 83 carries in 2013. The following year as a sophomore Green showed more promise, racking up 471 yards and three touchdowns on the ground on 82 attempts as a starter before suffering a season-ending collarbone injury mid-year.

But under Jim Harbaugh's new staff this past season, Green's play regressed. He finished with just 157 yards and two touchdown on 47 carries, as he gradually saw his role diminish while the Wolverines turned to De'Veon Smith and backups Drake Johnson and Ty Isaac for the bulk of its production at the position.

Green did not play in Michigan's final four regular season games and did not make the trip with the team for the bowl game due to an "internal matter." Apparently, Green was unhappy with his role in Ann Arbor and often voiced his frustration, leading to a rift between the player and the program, based on what sources have told TheWolverine.com.

The Wolverines would have been in good shape at running back with or without Green next season. UM returns Smith, Johnson, Isaac andKaran Higdon, while adding four-star Kareem Walker and three-stars Kingston Davis andChris Evans to the mix.

Would Green be a take for the Gators? Will Green pick UF, where he would have to compete for reps during the offseason rather than be immediately considered the favorite for the starting job?

Soon enough, these questions should be answered.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see why he would want to come here. I like where we are at the position.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
But he was a five star. We must take him. Must.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to pick him up, can't ever have too many RB's in the SEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I will trust the coaches on this but I would sure like to be in a position soon that we arent taking rejects. That being said a Meatchicken or Purdue reject is better than a Vandy reject, I guess.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
But he was a five star. We must take him. Must.
I challenge you to pull every 3* player on our team that is making a real impact. I'd guess we're at around 40 or so. So find me 20 that would be half hell I'll take 10. I'm not talking about just starters I'm talking making a real impact for the team. Callaway, Davis, Wilson, Goolsby find me 6 more who you are 85% satisfied with being the starter

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I challenge you to pull every 3* player on our team that is making a real impact. I'd guess we're at around 40 or so. So find me 20 that would be half hell I'll take 10. I'm not talking about just starters I'm talking making a real impact for the team. Callaway, Davis, Wilson, Goolsby find me 6 more who you are 85% satisfied with being the starter and not just because there is not a better player I'm talking your completely content with them no matter who was on the team

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Who needs another 5 star bust? Evidently fat also and he's not another Eddie Lacy.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When dioes he graduate? Will he go through spring practice?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I challenge you to pull every 3* player on our team that is making a real impact. I'd guess we're at around 40 or so. So find me 20 that would be half hell I'll take 10. I'm not talking about just starters I'm talking making a real impact for the team. Callaway, Davis, Wilson, Goolsby find me 6 more who you are 85% satisfied with being the starter

Again perpetuating that Callaway was a 3*. He was a 4*.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If Harbaugh doesn't want him he's probably not a good player....Anyone remember Willie Green?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.