Remember when...

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I want our players to feel that their very existence as a Gator is up in the air (at least, initially). I want them to know that what they have contributed up to this point is not enough. And I want them to dig deep to prove that they deserve to wear the orange and blue. If they have a competitive heart, and truly want to be a Gator, they'll nut up and fight like hell to prove themselves.

If that is too much for them to handle... they need to hit the bricks. They've been coddled, and it is time for that sh!t to end.

Perhaps I don't react as you do. I agree with everything you wrote except their "existence as Gators". If the players are not performing in the classroom, if they are not following the rules and laws then they might get another chance but also might be cut loose. If they are working hard and doing what the coaches want they are Gators and if they are not good enough they don't play, but they are still Gators as long as they want to be.

I got this view from a graduate of UF I know, he thinks of them as his relatives, do right and you get support, don't and you get correction, do wrong too much and you get disowned.

Thanks for the response.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This team isn't hungry. They're full of pb&j sammiches.

First and most importantly, this all goes back to Zook. Spurrier ran a meritocracy. You earned what you got under him and the results were quite good. Zook came in and started using playing time particularly at QB as a carrot in recruiting. Then Meyer came in and a: trusted very few players and b: continued the Zook plan rather than going back to the Spurrier days. Of course Muschamp and McElwain continued down the non-meritocracy path. I guess in their defense, that is the way college football had been going some, but when you have a winning meritocracy you do not have to mess it up.

Players not earning it undermines the foundation of the program. It is rot that eventually catches up to you in the form of entitled players who do not prepare as well and sometime don't play with as much urgency.

As for Frost or whomever telling young players to come in and take ownership of the program, a coach can not tell young players to do that. Either like the 04's they do or they don't. It is a matter of personality. Now the next coach can try to recruit such personalities. The next coach can try to undermine complacency by not only declaring all positions open, but also actually following through.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you watch a UCF game you'll see that freshmen and sophomores are all over the field. It's his recruits that bought into his sales pitch and have turned that program around. The upperclassmen who have bought in are reaping the benefits too.

If Frost stays at UCF they will be a team to be reckoned with for a long time. And if they or USF were to ever get into a P5 conference it would royally suck for us.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Toke toke pass, dude.
If you're laughing because you think that he probably won't be there long, then I get it. If you're laughing because you don't think his teams will be good enough to beat us or any other P5 schools in the state, laugh at you own peril.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you're laughing because you think that he probably won't be there long, then I get it. If you're laughing because you don't think his teams will be good enough to beat us or any other P5 schools in the state, laugh at you own peril.
The former. He doesnt even pretend to be staying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator