RIP Alonzo Johnson

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Sad to learn Alonzo Johnson’s died on Friday. He was a great college LB & able successor to Wilber Marshall at OLB. Just 60 years old.

I was fortunate to watch the 1985 f$u game from the sidelines and on the field for the postgame celebration. My best memory of that day is high-fiving Alonzo Johnson and getting picked up in a bear hug by him. (He was a regular customer at the ABC on Archer Road & 34th where I worked. He liked E&J Brandy at the time.)

God bless and keep him. Hate to see him go so young.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
One of my favorites. We had some outstanding LBs in the 80s.

RIP.

I didn't know at one point, Pell kicked him off the team.

Johnson signed with the Gators out of Rutherford High in Panama City in 1981, and after getting trapped in Pell's doghouse, he was dismissed and returned home and worked briefly as a construction laborer. The two made up, and Johnson was a standout from 1982-85, earning All-American honors as a junior and senior.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
WTF? Too young. Very good player. My age and vividly remember that 1985 :nole: game at Florida Field as Ricky Nattiel ran right past Deion. RIP AJ.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Makes me feel old, oh wait......

RIP Gator!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They say these things happen in threes :eek3:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zo came to Florida with a ridiculously high ceiling -- blazing fast, explosive, ball hawking, all over the field. We thought he might even be an upgrade over Wilber. He was that seemingly good.

He had great seasons and he also had serious demons -- blow -- that later landed him in drug rehab and ruined his NFL career. He was so thin by then you wondered how he even played football.

It's so sad to hear of someone passing at 60. My first thought was the obvious. It terribly weakens the heart. But he's gone and that's all that matters. RIP to a great athlete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator