RIP daytonacane - the only Miami fan I ever liked

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It is daytonacane's 85th birthday today, and she hadn't logged on since October. Since she was an elderly woman (possibly the oldest contributor on the entire board), this made me go digging. She wasn't a supporting member so I didn't have her full name, but her last name was part of her email address. After Googling that name and the birthday, her obituary popped up.

In all my message board years, I have never even heard of an elderly woman contributor. It's absolutely unheard of. And even though she was a Miami fan, she was respectful and let the barbs bounce off her - she was well liked as a result. Why she picked Gatorchatter I'll never know.

Rest In Piece, daytona - hopefully you got to enjoy your basketball team getting to the Final Four on the other side.

marie-davis-ormond-beach-fl-obituary.jpg

Marie Wiggins Davis April 3, 1938 - November 10, 2022​

Marie Wiggins Davis passed away peacefully at home. She was predeceased by her husband of 41 years, Douglas Davis Sr. She is survived by her sons Douglas Davis Jr. and Bradley Davis, along with their wives Dianne Davis and Connie Davis. She was also survived by her three grandchildren Douglas Davis III, Oneata Davis and Noah Davis.

She was an accomplished woman who dedicated 35 plus years to The Orthopedic Clinic of Daytona Beach where she held several roles including transcriptionist, Dr. Thurman Gillespy’s secretary and Office Manager. She was described by a former employee as the life blood of the business side of the clinic and a true employee advocate. She is also one of the founding members of BONES Society of Florida which is an organization dedicated to promoting the professional development of the orthopaedic managers through peer interaction and group education programs.

She was also a world traveler. Every year included family trips to destinations such as Alaska, California, Washington, Canada, Europe, and Flat Rock Alabama. She also loved traveling with her friends Diana, Wanda, Sandra, Fran and Patricia among others. She traveled with her friends to Alaska, multiple European countries, and China.

One of the things she loved most was college football. She was a dedicated fan of the University of Miami Hurricanes, of which her husband Doug was an alumnus and former football player. Above all, she held her family and friends dear and left a lasting legacy of love. She will be dearly missed!

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
RIP, daytonacane. She was a uniquely cool Cane fan, and it sounds like she had a wonderful life.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Oh no!

What a great lady, in every sense of the word. I’m glad our lives touched. She was one of my favorite posters, and my absolute favorite rival poster. She epitomized grace. Her loss will be terribly felt. May her memory be eternal.

Alex.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A class act whose civility will be missed. Obviously one of the best things, if not THE best, to come out of Coral Gables!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP daytonacane.
She was such a great poster here. A great human being overall. She will absolutely be missed.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
She was a gem. Funny that she hung out here. I cannot imagine hanging out on a Cane board. She was a real sweetheart. God bless and keep her.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Part of my extended Family has moved on. She was always civil and understanding. RIP my Cane Friend!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This sucks.

Loved having her here, much respect to the lady. Condolences to those she left behind, all better for having her in their lives.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This suuuucks.

Incredible person. Incredible poster. The best rival poster we’ve ever had.

Didn’t she have surgery recently?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This suuuucks.

Incredible person. Incredible poster. The best rival poster we’ve ever had.

Didn’t she have surgery recently?
Muncie deserves some Love....... But Daytona was Top 2...

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Wow....sadly these tributes are becoming too common lately.

It is amazing to me how an 85 year old woman would want to spend her free time engaging on a college alumni message board (and I mean that as a compliment)....if more UM fans were like her, I might actually root for them...

RIP Daytona....you ran your race well

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.