RIP, George Edmondson - Mr. 2 Bits

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I did say Disney type, sort of how they make presidents, not a cartoon.

Chief, hope you're having a great 4th of July up there in Jackson, Tennessee if you're still there. You can expect a lot of firecrackers and fireworks up your way because Tennesseans have a fascination with things that go "boom!". I like the way they do the Mr. Two Bits thing now with the honorary guest of the day doing the cheers. Any sort of animated character in the image of George Edmondson is just going to look grotesque in my humble opinion.

When I was in school Mr. Two Bits was positioned up in the stands. He did not go down to center stage much later. The clothes he wore recalls a throwback dress code to the days that Edmondson first started out at Florida Field. There was the yellow or white buttoned down shirt with the orange and blue tie and a pair of khaki pants. Before this the dress code was a white buttoned down short sleeved shirt with a narrow black tie. If you look at the picture of the fans in the stands when Steve Spurrier was quarterback it looked like a convention of insurance salesmen minus the ink pen pocked protectors.

Sorry to see you go Mr. George Edmondson but know that your heritage will live on in Gator Country.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It took me awhile before I noticed Noah with the yellow t-shirt and couldn't understand what your post had to do with George Edmundson.
Beat me to it. I looked at that pic for several seconds before I had any idea Noah had the Two Bits T-shirt on.

:snicker:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Chief, hope you're having a great 4th of July up there in Jackson, Tennessee if you're still there. You can expect a lot of firecrackers and fireworks up your way because Tennesseans have a fascination with things that go "boom!". I like the way they do the Mr. Two Bits thing now with the honorary guest of the day doing the cheers. Any sort of animated character in the image of George Edmondson is just going to look grotesque in my humble opinion.

When I was in school Mr. Two Bits was positioned up in the stands. He did not go down to center stage much later. The clothes he wore recalls a throwback dress code to the days that Edmondson first started out at Florida Field. There was the yellow or white buttoned down shirt with the orange and blue tie and a pair of khaki pants. Before this the dress code was a white buttoned down short sleeved shirt with a narrow black tie. If you look at the picture of the fans in the stands when Steve Spurrier was quarterback it looked like a convention of insurance salesmen minus the ink pen pocked protectors.

Sorry to see you go Mr. George Edmondson but know that your heritage will live on in Gator Country.

Thanks for the input, I won't be here much longer and with a move I am going to try to change my lifestyle. Less TV and internet (way less internet) and more pool time and personal interactions. The Gator club where I am moving too seems to be inactive, I hope to restore it at least somewhat.

I too remember him going around the stadium leading his famous cheer. Eventually he will be missed, but he will live on in legend.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
RIP... your legacy lives on...

Quite a rack.

Must be, what, 30 wine glasses up there?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Beat me to it. I looked at that pic for several seconds before I had any idea Noah had the Two Bits T-shirt on.

:snicker:
The team did Mr. Two Bits at halftime (this was 2016) this was back at hotel post game... I always forget who the other player is sitting on left.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Mr 2 Bits was a huge Gator tradition and one of my favorites. As a kid, I was always excited when he led our section. A true Gator Great and I agree he deserves a statue in or by a major entrance to the Swamp. And I didn’t notice anyone else start this, so I’ll get it going...

TWO BITS!!!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
RIP indeed. A statue is definitely in order, along with a patch on the uniform or decal on the helmet.

Hell, have Jordan make a uni with the base color of the yellow shirt he wore for the Homecoming game this fall.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If you were lucky enough for Mr 2 bits to pop up in your section as a kid it was bigger than the game but, the last thing we need is a statue of another white guy until Emmitt or Wilbur are recognize in that way.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
George always looked a little frazzled on hot days. He moved around so much. We did get really excited when he came to our section. I remember him even back to the sixties. You could always tell where he was by a sudden big cheer. During the SOS years you could hear that cheer from the stadium miles away..........where he came out before the game..........

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP. Probably the most well-known Gator who wasn't a player or coach. He's a Gator legend.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A legend and a Gator at heart. Sad day if true.
He's such a part of lore they should put a statue of him inside the stadium somewhere.

If any person deserves a statue and a place in the ring of honor it's this man. A graduate of another school who, while at a Gator's game got pissed off because the Gator fans were booing their team, And created a legacy known all over the college football world.
My deepest respects.
Who to call to get this rolling?

RIP indeed. A statue is definitely in order, along with a patch on the uniform or decal on the helmet.
Hell, have Jordan make a uni with the base color of the yellow shirt he wore for the Homecoming game this fall.

Strategically placed = Humongous action-photo for all to see and remember.
Maybe this season a photo over the locker room exit ... for players to tap for luck as they go out.
Inside = a "closed circuit" video-station of George in action.
RIP = shoulda done these things when he was alive.:( Mr. 2-bits was a life-long Gator blessing.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If you were lucky enough for Mr 2 bits to pop up in your section as a kid it was bigger than the game but, the last thing we need is a statue of another white guy until Emmitt or Wilbur are recognize in that way.

Do we really need to bring age and race into this sort of thread, it should all be about accomplishments. And as far as I can tell he had far more accomplishments as a Gator supporter than any coach, player, AD, or student. He did it for far longer than any player, for a selfless reason, and until he could no longer do so. If he is now gone, every Gator should remember him.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He will be missed for sure, but he certainly left behind an admirable legacy. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him in person before he retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.