RIP Mike Leach - dead at 61

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to imagine the woke libs that run UF hiring a politically incorrect, potty-mouth pirate like Leach. Hell I doubt the old ball coach could get hired here today without his legacy status.

Good thing SOS came ahead of the curve.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Coach Steve Spurrier

https://www.facebook.com/#
·

https://www.facebook.com/#
A great loss for college football today. My heart goes out to the Leach family, the Mississippi State family, and to anybody who loved football.
My son Steve Jr. has worked for Coach Leach for a long time now and Coach was always gracious enough to ask me to address his teams whenever I went out to a practice. I enjoyed my time talking with him and his teams. It was always very clear that his players loved playing for him. He was a great offensive mind on the field and, of course, outside of it, just one of the best and most interesting people you would ever meet.
Rest in peace, Coach Leach.
319936122_872205477456335_7508628310336929588_n.jpg

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017
RIP Coach Leach. I ran into him at Capt'n Tony's in Key West 4 years ago. Talked to him for about 15 minutes, great guy.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I liked him. I wanted us to get him before Mullen. He got a bad rap at TX Tech.
Loved his Air Raid.
I was one of the biggest proponent to hiring him and was laughed at and ridiculed out of the building by 99% of the posters here saying he was a gimmick.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was one of the biggest proponent to hiring him and was laughed at and ridiculed out of the building by 99% of the posters here saying he was a gimmick.

Coaches who rack up historic numbers on the ground usually end up in the HOF. Coaches who rule through the air are viewed more as -- maybe because of the theory that it too often gets in the way of winning games -- having operated a freak show. Which makes Leach the master freak. His teams led FBS in passing in 10 of his 21 seasons and posted a ridiculous seven games with 600 or more yards through the air.

Again, I ask, why weren't we talking to this guy? That's the kind of offense Florida fans live for.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A real unique Man.

My prayers that his Family will find Peace.

I will rejoice in my memories of his Zest for Life and Character!

He was more than just a Football Coach.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Coaches who rack up historic numbers on the ground usually end up in the HOF. Coaches who rule through the air are viewed more as -- maybe because of the theory that it too often gets in the way of winning games -- having operated a freak show. Which makes Leach the master freak. His teams led FBS in passing in 10 of his 21 seasons and posted a ridiculous seven games with 600 or more yards through the air.

Again, I ask, why weren't we talking to this guy? That's the kind of offense Florida fans live for.
Lincoln Riley is Mike Leach Jr.

Riley was a walk on at Texas Tech behind Kliff and Symons. Leach told Riley he'd never play so it's OK if he left. Riley came back in the next day and said he was staying and wanted to learn the system and more from Leach. He went to Okie and tweaked the air raid to his own unique offense. UF could have had Riley, but not sure if Riley wanted to be in the SEC.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

You know I think the world of you, but he won 4 games, 7 games and then 8 games, basically accomplishing nothing—which has been his MO throughout his career—and is now dead. I’m not sure which one of these areas validates your position.

Anyway he’d never come to a demanding place like UF. Notice how he always chose the under-the-radar places away from the spotlight where he could just be himself and do the thing he loved, which is coach his team his way, middle finger pointed at everyone, and enjoy being himself. Every stop allowed his to do just that.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

But Mullen is the QB Whisperer and he knew UF and the SEC. Yeah, THIS GUY

college football GIF by SEC Network

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You know I think the world of you, but he won 4 games, 7 games and then 8 games, basically accomplishing nothing—which has been his MO throughout his career—and is now dead. I’m not sure which one of these areas validates your position.

Anyway he’d never come to a demanding place like UF. Notice how he always chose the under-the-radar places away from the spotlight where he could just be himself and do the thing he loved, which is coach his team his way, middle finger pointed at everyone, and enjoy being himself. Every stop allowed his to do just that.
Couple of things. I get what you are saying about him wins but he’s also doing that with lower level players in P5 conferences. One the second point, I think you have it backwards about his coaching stops. It’s not that he always chose lower level programs so he could be himself, that’s all he got to choose from. Not major school was going to come after him because of who he was. It’s not like he turned down UF or Georgia or USC OR OU so he could coach WSU or MSU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Couple of things. I get what you are saying about him wins but he’s also doing that with lower level players in P5 conferences. One the second point, I think you have it backwards about his coaching stops. It’s not that he always chose lower level programs so he could be himself, that’s all he got to choose from. Not major school was going to come after him because of who he was. It’s not like he turned down UF or Georgia or USC OR OU so he could coach WSU or MSU.

It’s partly that he wasn’t wanted at those places, yes. But that’s because he’s proven that he has a ceiling, perhaps even self imposed&. I think at every stop he’s been consistent in that no one ever predicted him to win the conference, but also no one wanted to face his teams. The problem with his style is that when it’s on, there may be no stopping it. But when it’s off, which it inevitably will at some point with 18-21 year old college players, it’s ugly. Similar to what you saw from ut this year. And he never changed because I think he just liked to coach. It was never about winning a title or being the best. Just coaching football. Nothing wrong with that, but at a high profile place he’d be gone inside of 4 years. The whole James kid situation—which was complete garbage—also hung over his head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.